Best 10 Backpack Tackle Box [Reviewed in 2021]
There are certain items that are critical for any experienced angler – a rod, a reel, a fishing fillet knife, a cooler, and a tackle box. A modern take on the tackle box is the backpack tackle box – everything that you need for an extended fishing trip with the straps to comfortable hike with it to those hard to reach locations.
I purchased my first backpack tackle box a few years ago and it changed everything. It allows you to carry a lot more equipment and still gives two hands free for carrying your rods. If you are hiking to an inaccessible location then the first thing I would recommend is to upgrade your tackle bag.
When you are walking for miles to get to a distance river filled with salmon the last thing you want is to have both hands full of rods and tackle boxes. Switching over to a backpack style tackle bag is a fantastic way to travel further in great comfort.
I have put together a review of the top 10 bags on the market available at the moment. We have also listed some of the key features you should be aware of before you make a decision in a simple buyer’s guide.
Table of Contents
- 1 Backpack Tackle Box Buyer’s Guide
- 2 1. OSAGE RIVER Fishing Backpack
- 3 2. Wild River Tackle Tek Nomad Lighted Backpack
- 4 3. SeaKnight Waterproof Outdoor Tackle Bag
- 5 4. Lixada Fishing Tackle Backpack
- 6 5. Kingdom Multifunctional Fishing Backpack
- 7 6. SHIMANO Blackmoon Fishing Backpack
- 8 7. Wild River by CLC 503 Tackle Tek Recon
- 9 8. Daiwa, D-Vec Tactical Travel Reel Case
- 10 9. Wild River Nomad LeatherCraft Tackle Tek
- 11 10. Lunkerhunt LTS Tackle Backpack
Quick Summary – Best Backpack Tackle Boxes
- Best Overall: OSAGE RIVER Fishing Backpack
- Best Value for Money: Lixada Fishing Tackle Backpack
- Best LED Lighted Backpack: Wild River Tackle Tek
- Best Waterproof: Seaknight Waterproof Tackle Bag
- Best Multipurpose: Daiwa Reel Backpack
Backpack Tackle Box Buyer’s Guide
There are dozens of good options for backpack tackle boxes on the market – and picking the right one for your needs can be difficult. We have put together a few key features for you to consider before making your purchase.
These design features and materials can be the difference between a bag that will last for years and one that will fail during your first trip.
How much tackle do you need to carry with you? The answer is always less than you think. But the last thing you want is to need that particularly lure that you didn’t pack because your bag was too small.
Pick a bag that is large enough to carry everything you need.
Also consider the size of the tackle and tools you want to carry. If you want additional hooks and sinkers, then you will want extra space for tackle trays. But if you want to carry extra knives or pliers then you may want an option with extra external compartments.
Some of the bags also have a dedicated place for sunglasses which will protect them for scratches and damage.
The backpack straps design and material are crucial to comfort. You tackle bag can get very heavy when you have filled it with knives, pliers, tackle, and braided line. Getting comfortable straps is important to allow you to carry your bag for miles from your truck to the river.
Our recommendation is getting a strap that has wide padding attached. Like a school backpack, you can get a pretty good idea of how comfortable it is by looking at the photos and reading through the reviews.
Wear and tear on a bag like this can be high. Either from accidental knife strikes, or from tree branches when you are hiking to your fishing destination. So making sure you select a bag made from a durable material is important to getting a long life.
Getting a long life out of your bag is the best way to get good value for money. Kevlar or nylon are strong fabrics that will last a long term.
Most of the bags come with multiple storage trays for keeping your tackle in individual compartments. The number of trays you need depends on your own personal fishing style and requirements.
If you want more then I would suggest going for 3-4 trays, but if you only use the same few items every time then maybe 1-2 trays is sufficient.
1. OSAGE RIVER Fishing Backpack
- Features contoured adjustable shoulder straps with highly breathable padding and mesh for maximum comfort; complemented by a sternum strap to distribute pack weight more evenly
- Equipped with a hip belt to shift the weight of the backpack to provide you with a lower center of gravity, essential for balance when walking over slippery rocks in or along a river
- Provides fishing rod storage with the side loops; slide the rod through the loops with the line guide facing outwards and tighten the 4 compression straps to ensure they say in place
Adjustable and comfortable shoulder straps with padding and mesh to breath
Sternum strap and hip belt to distribute the weight evenly
Rod storage through the side loops
Webbing to store pliers and tools for easy access
Main storage compartment for tackle boxes and 2 external pockets for tools
The first tackle bag on our list is the Osage River. As you can see from the photo it is highly adjustable with straps and storage loops everywhere. There are multiple compartments both internal and external, as well as webbed storage for easy access to essential tools.
The bag is slightly smaller than some of the other options depending on how much tackle you want to carry with you. It is also bright orange which may scare off particularly skittish fish.
The combination of hip belt and sternum strap mean that you can get a really comfortable fit and evenly distribute the weight.
I also like the rod storage that you can slip through the loops, however I generally don’t use them myself.
- Hip belt secures the bag to your center of gravity
- Fishing rods can be secured through side straps
- Smaller than some of the other options
- Bright orange can be very visible if you want to travel quietly
2. Wild River Tackle Tek Nomad Lighted Backpack
- FISH AT ALL HOURS: This lighted fishing tackle backpack features an integrated LED light system so you can fish any time of day.
- PROTECT YOUR GLASSES: This fishing tackle backpack has a mounted molded sunglass holder to help keep your glasses safe.
- REMOVABLE PLIER HOLDER: This fishing tackle backpack has a removable plier holder so your pliers go from bag to belt and are easy to find.
Lighted LED system to help you change your tackle even at night
Dedicated sunglasses holder on the top
Removable pliers holder for easy access
Inbuilt rain cover to protect your gear from the elements
Front pocket provides a workbench
The Wild River bag design is one of the best available. They are also available in all kinds of colors and designs, even camouflage. The dedicated sunglasses storage on top is a good addition to protect them from scratches on other equipment.
They also have a fantastic LED system to help you fishing at night – tying knots or swapping lures in impossible in the dark.
The straps are also extremely wide and comfortable, particularly if you are going to hiking miles from your truck to the river.
There are some reports of poor quality zippers and seams, but I don’t think you will find better quality in other manufacturers.
- LED system to help fishing at night
- Separate sunglasses case so they don’t get scratched
- External storage for miscellaneous items
- Can have some zipper and seam quality problems
3. SeaKnight Waterproof Outdoor Tackle Bag
- LARGER STORAGE SPACE: The entire backpack is divided into many spaces, the unique components help to make it into several relatively independent small rooms. This exquisite feature offers larger space...
- ADJUSTABLE MAIN COMPARTMENT: There is a removable clapboard in the main bag, dividing the large space L(16.1")*W(7.9")*H(17.3") into two independent spaces, for using different things more...
- DURABLE: Made of high quality 1000D Polyester material coated with a hydrophobic PVC layer, with heavy duty zippers and buckles, it is ideal for rough use in tough weather conditions.
Large storage area with a removable divider for better organization
Four side zippered pockets
Two mesh pouches for easy access
Made from 1000D nylon polyester fabric that is water resistant
Rugged anti-scratch base
The SeaKnight tackle bag offers a more rugged and durable options. With the anti-scratch base, it can happily be left on the river bank or the sand without concern about damage.
It can also be highly customized with the removable internal walls. This allows you to fit different sized equipment and plastic tackle boxes. It is also water resistant to protect your gear from splashing or even kayak fishing capsizing.
The downside is that it is not as stylish as some of the other models with its boxy design.
- Water resistant to protect your gear from saltwater
- Comfortable straps
- Not as stylish as some of the other options
4. Lixada Fishing Tackle Backpack
- 🐬LARGE STORAGE SPACE: Large storage area with removable divider, converts backpack for storage of larger items.Four zippered side pockets and two mesh pouches provide additional storage for small...
- 🐬ENOUGH ORGANIZED COMPARTMENTS: A removable divider integrates the upper and lower compartments as a larger one for storage of bigger items or more tackle boxes.
- 🐬COMFORTABLE: Adjustable padded shoulder straps for better comfort and fit. Padded mesh back panels for superior breathability.
Large internal storage area with a removable divider for better organization
Four zipped side pockets and two mesh pouches
Adjustable and padded shoulder straps for comfort and fit
Rugged anti-scratch base
Padded mesh back
The fourth backpack tackle box in our list is the Lixada model.
Like the previous option, this bag has a removable divider so that you can fit different sizes of plastic tackle boxes inside. It has plenty of small pockets so that you can put your pliers and other essential tools within easy reach.
It is also more heavy duty with a rugged base so you don’t need to be concerned when using it on a river bank or rock face.
Personally, I don’t like the bright green internals, but this is purely an aesthetic issue. But I do love the camouflage external design.
- Lots of external storage options
- Padded mesh back for extra comfort
- Bright green internals
5. Kingdom Multifunctional Fishing Backpack
- 🐟FAST SHIPPING—Please ignore show arrive time when seller fulfilled. We promise send the package within 24 hours and the average time for successful delivery is 7-15 business days. If you order...
- 🐟KINGDOMFISHING—KingdomFishing is a registered brand in US. We have our own factory, we provide wholesale and customer service, just please contact us, we will reply within 24 hours. We support...
- 🐟MATERIAL—Made of strong 1000D waterproof nylon fabric and exquisite overall craftsmanship with cleanly finished seams. Zippers are a very important component of a bag and should never be...
Made from 1000D waterproof nylon fabric
Heavy duty zippers and finished seams
Adjustable straps for any length and size
Multiple pockets or various sizes so that everything has its place
External water bottle holder
Rod holster on the side
The Kingdom fishing bag is certainly one of a kind – with a unique brown fishing lure design. You will never lose it or mistake it for someone else’s bag.
It also has a large number of external pockets, all of different sizes – so you will be able to find a suitable storage place for all of your essential tools and tackle.
It has a rod holster on the side, although I rarely use them (I prefer to carry my rods), and an external water bottle holder which certainly comes in handy.
Kingdom have also put a focus on the quality of their seams and zippers, which has proved to be a point of failure in the other options.
- Water bottle storage location
- Fish styled design
- Waterproof nylon design
- Striking style that might not suit everyone
6. SHIMANO Blackmoon Fishing Backpack
- Everything You Need in One Bundle - This all-inclusive backpack set is the perfect companion for your next fishing trip, Keep your hands free. complete with protective rain cover and 4 tackle boxes...
- Sougayilang Tackle bag is made from superior high quality water-resistant 1200D high density nylon fabrics with hydrophobic coating repels moisture from the outside offers excellent tear strength and...
- STORAGE SPACE:Large storage area with removable divider, converts backpack for storage of larger items.Four zippered side pockets and two mesh pouches provide additional storage for small or dirty...
Thick padded shoulder straps for comfort
Heavy duty fabric material
Mesh rod holder on both sides
Includes 2 Plano plastic tackle boxes but can fit more inside
Zippered front compartment and side pockets
As far as I am concerned, Shimano are the masters of fishing equipment, and this tackle bag is no exception. This is a no nonsense bag which can fit 4 plastic tackle trays (although it only comes with 2).
It has two side rod holders, and side pockets for easy access to knives and other tools. The bag is made from a heavy duty fabric to prevent rips, tears, and damage.
It does not have as many individual pockets as some of the other options, so you may need to place multiple tools into the same storage location.
It is also styled in classic Shimano black and white design.
- Shimano are the premier fishing manufacturer
- Built in rod holders
- Not as many external storage compartments as other options
7. Wild River by CLC 503 Tackle Tek Recon
- Integrated LED light System allows for fishing from dusk to dawn
- Web loops to secure tools
- Mesh pockets allow you to easily view contents
Integrated LED light system to tie knots at night
Web loops to secure tools
Mesh pockets to view tackle easily from the outside
Large padded and adjustable shoulder straps
Includes 4 x PT3500 trackle trays
Another Wild River tackle backpack, this Tackle Tek Recon is a good option. It is comfortable, adjustable, and stylish. I particularly like the forest design, especially when compared to some of the boring, boxy alternatives.
It comes with 4 tackle trays so that you don’t need to purchase anything else to go with it.
The shoulder straps are wide and have good padding for extra comfort.
It has multiple external pockets for individual tools and mesh exteriors so that you can see exactly what you are looking for. There has been some criticism that this bag is not entirely waterproof, so take that into consideration.
- LED light system to help fishing in the dark
- Comes with tackle trays so you don’t need to purchase extras
- Not completely waterproof
8. Daiwa, D-Vec Tactical Travel Reel Case
- Package length: 20.32 cm
- Package width: 30.48 cm
- Package height: 43.18 cm
Multi-purpose fishing tackle backpack – can be used at the river bed, in the boat, or at home
Multiple external zippered pockets
Wide, padded straps for comfort
Large internal compartment
I have included this Daiwa backpack for exactly that reason – it is more like a normal backpack than a tackle box. If you want something that is multi-purpose without spending a fortune then this is it. It could just as easily be seen in the school yard as on the boat.
It comes with multiple external pockets with good quality zippers, as well as a large internal compartment where plastic tackle boxes can be stored.
The straps are also wide and padded so it is comfortable to carry, no matter what the scenario or cargo.
It has been highlighted as not particularly waterproof, so you may want to keep it under cover when there is bad weather around to protect your equipment.
- More like a normal backpack than other options – can be used for other applications
- Not highlighted as particularly waterproof
9. Wild River Nomad LeatherCraft Tackle Tek
- TRAY STORAGE INCLUDED: Storage compartment for up to 4 medium #3600 and 2 small #3500 trays (2-3600 trays included) includd with lighted tackle backpack.
- LIGHTED TOOL BACKPACK: The 3 level LED light system installed in this charging tool backpack allows for fishing from dusk till dawn.
- CHARGING TOOL BACKPACK: 5000mAh rechargeable USB power supply, included, extends the battery life of personal electronics
3 level LED light system to allow you to fish at knight
5000 mAh rechargeable USB power supply
Includes 4 medium tackle trays and 2 small tackle trays
Additional Accessories – solar panel sold separately
This is the 3rd Wild River backpack in the list, because they make incredible designs. This Nomad Leathercraft is built for the modern fishermen who relies on technology. It comes with a 3 level LED light system to allow you to fish at night.
It also comes with a 5000mAh rechargeable USB power supply with multiple ports available to charge your phone, other lights, or anything else you might need at your campsite.
Incredibly it also has a solar panel accessories available so you can remain in remote locations and fully charged indefinitely.
This is a premium product at a premium price.
- Comes with tackle trays to store your hooks and sinkers
- LED system to fish at night
- Optional solar panels allows you to fish for weeks fully charged!
- Needs to be recharged
10. Lunkerhunt LTS Tackle Backpack
- Zipperless construction eliminates frustration
- 2 Adjustable rod holders
- Designed for instant, no-hassle access to your gear
2 adjustable rod holders
Splashproof fast-entry openings
TPW-coated waterproof fabric
The final tackle bag on our list is the Lunkerhunt LTS. It has gone in a different direction and has a zipperless design. The material is waterproof which is a problem with some of the other options.
The boxy design is not particularly aesthetic or stylish. However, it does mean that the large internal compartment can fit a lot of tackle and tackle trays.
It has adjustable rod holders on the side.
- Waterproof fabric design
- Adjustable rod holders
- Very boxy design
There are also some great comparison sites and guides available on the internet.
Please let us know which bag you selected and why in the comments below. This helps us to provide more information on any of our fishing gear reviews.
Last update on 2021-04-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API