Best 10 Fish Hook Remover Tools [2021 Update]
For catch and relief fisherman, a good fish hook remover tool is a must have – the ability to remove a hook from a fish’s mouth without causing any damage is crucial for keeping the fish healthy going forward.
A fish hook remover is a very simple tool that is worth having for any species who have strong jaws or teeth when the removal of a hook is difficult.
The way the tool’s generally work is by hooking onto the fishing line. You then run the tool down the line into the fish’s mouth until it clips over the hook. Then you can apply some pressure and push the hook out of the fish’s jaw simply, quickly, and easily.
They can also be called a disgorger which are longer and can remove hooks that fish have swallowed deeper.
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick Summary – Best Fish Hook Remover Tools
- 2 Fish Hook Remover Buyer’s Guide
- 3 How to Use a Fish Hook Remover Tool Video
- 4 Best 10 Fish Hook Remover Tools
- 4.1 1. PureZoneA Easy Fish Hook Remover
- 4.2 2. SHALAC Fish Hook Remover with Lanyard
- 4.3 3. BesWlz Fish Hook Remover 3 Pieces
- 4.4 4. HAUSHOF Hook Remover
- 4.5 5. Sugelary Fish Hook Remover
- 4.6 6. Syhood 2 Pieces Fish Hook Remover
- 4.7 7. SAMSFX Fishing Hook Disgorger
- 4.8 8. Big Worm Fishing Fish Hook Remover Tool
- 4.9 9. Yiwoo 3PCS Easy Fish Hook Remover Squeeze-Out Separator Tools
- 4.10 10. Booms Fishing R1 Stainless Steel Fish Hook Remover
- 5 Conclusion
Quick Summary – Best Fish Hook Remover Tools
- Best Overall: Meethome Easy Fish Hook Remover 2019
- Best Value for Money: KSTE Fish Hook Remover
- Best Freshwater: SHINA Pro 9.5
- Best Saltwater: SHINA Pro 13.5
- Best Pistol Grip: SHINA Pro Pistol Grip
Fish Hook Remover Buyer’s Guide
There are a variety of different length tools available – and this really depends on the type of fish you are targeting and whether they are more likely to bite or swallow the bait.
The most popular fish removal tools come from 8 inch to 13 inch. If you are targeting smaller freshwater species like bass fishing or walleye, then you can happily go with the shorter shaft lengths. If you are targeting larger saltwater game fish, like tuna or wahoo, then perhaps go with the longer options.
This tool will spend a lot of its life either in saltwater or in the elements so make sure you select one that is made from corrosion resistant materials so that it won’t rust and will last longer.
We recommend aluminum or stainless steel to give the longest life – although we still suggest you flush it with freshwater at the end of your fishing adventure.
The handles are also often made from rubber to give comfort and non-slip properties.
There are two common styles for the grip – pistol grip or T grip. The T grips are more compact and will take up less space in your tackle box or boat. The pistol grip is generally more comfortable and will help you to find the hook and remove it more easily. If you need to get the hook out and the fish back into the water quickly then consider the pistol grip design.
The choice here really comes down to your personal preferences.
Some optional extras available include lanyards. This will allow you to keep your tool around your neck or even attached to your fly fishing vest so that it is easily accessible at all times.
The final extra is a flashlight attached to the shaft. I would suggest this is a luxury that is probably not needed. Most fisherman should have a powerful flashlight in their essential equipment at all times, and have a smaller light on this one particular tool is that especially useful.
How to Use a Fish Hook Remover Tool Video
A fish hook removal tool is very simple to use but it can be difficult to visualize. This video shows how easy they are to remove a hook from a fish’s mouth and release the fish safely:
Best 10 Fish Hook Remover Tools
If you are interested in getting a fish hook remover, then have a look through this list. These are the top 10 best selling tools for this month. Have a look through your favorites within your budget to find the tool that is most suitable for your requirements.
1. PureZoneA Easy Fish Hook Remover
- Material: Made of Anodized Aluminum and ABS handle and stainless steel hook, Fish Hook Remover Tool has a good salt water corrosion resistance.
- Product features: not easy to embroider, quick decoupling, no damage, more protection, no longer have to worry about pointed fish such as squid, hook remover will protect your fingers away from the...
- Reduced damage: our hook-and-eye remover removes most of the hooks, even deep-engaged hooks, which are released as quickly as possible to minimize damage to the fish.
Part of what makes a fish hook remover extremely valuable in the eyes of a serious angler is the tool’s ability to effectively remove hooks and remain mechanically sound despite being used on thrashing fish that often break or bend lesser-quality models. The PureZoneA Easy Fish Hook Remover is clearly one of the best fish hook remover tools you’ll find on the market today as it is capable of taking just about any hook out of the mouth of the largest, most dangerous fish in the world.
This fish hook remover tool is made of tough anodized aluminum material that is specially designed to withstand the rigors of being used in a saltwater environment. The tool has a long enough shaft that anglers won’t have to worry about having their fingers cut or bitten by the sharp teeth of various saltwater and freshwater species.
The PureZoneA Easy Fish Hook Remover’s plastic handle fits onto the end of the tool in a solid fashion that won’t easily loosen or break under high amounts of pressure. This model is ideal for single hand use that allows anglers to control the line or the fish with their other hand if necessary.
2. SHALAC Fish Hook Remover with Lanyard
- 【Make fishing easier】Most anglers remove fish hooks with bare hands which is dangerous. SHALAC fish hook remover will keep your fingers away from hook and sharp teeth, even those deep embedded...
- 【Single hand design】The new T-handle is easy to catch and comfortable to hold.Also the lanyard can tied to the wrist during your fishing.
- 【Friendly to fishing line and fish】Smooth remover hook surface won't cut the fishing line by accident or hurt your fish.
It can be difficult to find a heavy-duty fish hook remover tool that’s capable of withstanding the tough nature of taking the hook out of the mouth of large, dangerous sportfish. The SHALAC Fish Hook Remover with Lanyard is specially designed to do just that. This model is made out of a solid anodized aluminum pole section that’s fitted with a hardened ABS plastic handle and release trigger mechanism that works like a charm.
This tool is perfect for tournament anglers and serious fishing enthusiasts who don’t have time to try to fandangle a hook from a large fish’s mouth. The SHALAC Fish Hook Remover with Lanyard allows users to quickly and firmly grasp the hook and twist or pull it free in a matter or seconds.
The remover hook is specially designed to avoid causing any nicks or abrasions in the fishing line itself as most anglers will first clip the tool onto their line and run it down into the fish’s mouth to fix it upon the hook. This fish hook remover tool features a very convenient lanyard clip that’s connected to a coiled cord for quick and easy access when there’s no time to waste in getting the fish safely back into the water.
3. BesWlz Fish Hook Remover 3 Pieces
- Reduced Damage:Most fishermen remove fish hooks with their bare hands, which can be dangerous for both fingers and fish. Our fishing hook remover removes most of the hooks, even deep-engaged...
- Easy Use Design:Single hand design makes it comfortable to use.These fishing hook extractor are made of Aluminum and Stainless Steel,which make it can be used in both fresh and salt water, corrosion...
- Multisize and Portable: T style fishing hook removers measure 16cm/23cm,43g/52g weight only.This dehooker separator is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand,easy to use,carry and store at...
A truly skilled angler knows the value of each individual tool in their tackle arsenal. The BesWlz Fish Hook Remover 3 Pieces is a combination of three highly-valuable fishing tools that anglers can safely use to remove the hook from a fish’s mouth. Two fish hook remover tools are included in this three-piece set, but the real value might be in the high-quality set of fishing pliers that also come along in this bargain.
The two fish hook remover tools are made in different sizes, a large and short version for each angler’s preference. These tools make it comfortable and easy to grasp the hook firmly and remove it without causing the fish any further damage. Each plastic handle is made of solid ABS plastic and features a small hole on the side that’s perfect for running a string through for anglers who want to fashion their own style of lanyard.
The fishing pliers are made of stainless steel and feature a rubberized grip material that helps anglers get a better overall hold on these handles as they work to remove the hook that’s lodged in a fish’s mouth.
4. HAUSHOF Hook Remover
- One Hand Operation: The internal spring mechanism and the ergonomic plastic handle that can fit your palm perfectly are great for single hand operation. The handles feature slip-proof pattern grips...
- More Protection：Allows you to reach a gut-hooked fish with sharp teeth deeply without injuring and gently pull the hook out without further damage. Keep your fingers away from hooks.
- Anti-corrosive Construction: The stainless steel hook and the aluminum alloy shaft is lightweight and corrosion-resistant, ensuring it can function in both freshwater and saltwater environment. The...
Anglers who fish for the most dangerous species in the world don’t have the luxury of using their hands to remove the hook from their catch’s mouth. The HAUSHOF Hook Remover is specially designed with an extra long shaft portion to reach deep into the toothy mouth of these predatory fish and get the hook out without incident.
This fish hook remover tool features a unique trigger-style grip that many anglers prefer when using tools to remove hooks from the mouths of large, dangerous fish like barracuda and other species. The 13.8-inch long shaft means you’ll be able to keep your hand and fingers well outside the mouth of most types of dangerous fish while you work to dislodge the hook.
The HAUSHOF Hook Remover is made with an aluminum alloy shaft and stainless steel hook that lets you trust in your fish hook tool to maintain a solid grip on the hook while you use this tool. This fish hook remover is both lightweight and designed to be corrosion-resistant, meaning that it will easily fit in with the rest of your saltwater fishing gear. The lanyard is made to clip to your belt loop or anywhere else and allow for quick and easy access.
5. Sugelary Fish Hook Remover
- 🐟 Safe and efficient: Using a fish hook remover, can remove the fish hook, and at the same time avoid the hand being cut. The fish gripper can prevent our hands from directly contacting the fish...
- 🐟 Fish Hook Remover - Made of Anodized Aluminum and ABS handle and stainless steel hook, Fish Hook Remover Tool has a good salt water corrosion resistance. It can always accompany you and witness...
- 🐟 Fish Gripper - Made of plastic, the Fish Gripper can float on water. Durable and lightweight. The fish Gripper is easy to use with one hand. The flat jaw can grip fish lip tightly but not do harm...
Quality and toughness are two words that accurately describe the Sugelary Fish Hook Remover. This tool is made by a company that is known for manufacturing tools that simply won’t give in to the harsh nature of saltwater fishing and the fact that many anglers commonly wear a hook remover tool out within a few months.
Anglers will find that this option comes with a short and long version of the same style fish hook remover tool. The handle is made of hardened ABS plastic material and the finger-trigger mechanisms also feature an extra hook on each end to ensure that your fingers don’t slip while you’re working to remove the hook from the mouth of the fish.
The long model is 8.6 inches in length while the shorter version is just over 7 inches long. These tools are well-made and function perfectly for removing hooks from the mouths of sharks, squid, barracuda, and many other dangerous types of fish that can be caught in the sea.
6. Syhood 2 Pieces Fish Hook Remover
- Packaging and size: you will get 2 hook removers, large size is 9.45 x 2.95 inches, small is 6.69 x 2.95 inches
- Material: the aluminum frame is light in weight and the stainless steel hook tongs are high in strength, the ergonomic plastic handle fits well in the palm of your hand, good for one-handed use
- Product features: not easy to embroider, quick decoupling, no damage, more protection, no longer have to worry about pointed fish such as squid, hook remover will protect your fingers away from the...
The Syhood 2 Pieces Fish Hook Remover is a simple, straightforward tool design that draws most of its strength from the thickened aluminum alloy shaft and stainless steel hook. This, like other models on our list of the best fish hook remover tools, features a long and short version of the same basic tool. The longer version is a full 9.5 inches while the shorter version is 6.6 inches and is more suited for hook removal in smaller, less dangerous species of fish.
The plastic handle of the Syhood 2 Pieces Fish Hook Remover is nearly 3 inches in length, which means anglers with larger hands might have a much better hold on this tool as opposed to other, smaller versions that are mentioned in our list.
While this version of fish remover tool doesn’t feature the convenient lanyard tool, it is very lightweight and will easily fit into a tackle box or anywhere else an angler might want to store it on their boat. Anglers should be aware that this model isn’t specially designed for use in saltwater fishing and might be a bit more susceptible to corrosion.
7. SAMSFX Fishing Hook Disgorger
- Plastic construction, lightweight and practical, easy to carry, convenient to use
- Perfect for removing hooks from fish with teeth or deeply-hooked fish.Perfect for the deep set hooks and extremely effective
- Decrease the rate of hurting fish, ensures maximum post-release survival probability
If it’s an affordable and easy-to-use fish hook remover tool that you’re after, the SAMSFX Fishing Hook Disgorger is truly hard to beat. This isn’t known to be quite as effective as some of the other models listed, but the unique design of SAMSFX’s product does make it easier to grip and dislodge hooks.
This tool is made of hardened plastic material that is incredibly lightweight. It’s sleek, ergonomic design means that anglers should have no problem packing it into their tackle box or with any other gear they might have. This option comes with a short and long version of the same basic tool and both can be used depending on the length needed to reach into the mouth of the fish.
The SAMSFX Fishing Hook Disgorger tool is ideal for using to remove hooks that fish have swallowed deep into their throat as it is narrow and easily fits into any nook or cranny of the fish’s mouth with relative ease. If you’re used to working with most trigger-mechanism type fish hook removers, it can take a bit of practice before you’ll master the technique needed for this digorger tool.
8. Big Worm Fishing Fish Hook Remover Tool
- FISH HOOK REMOVER TOOL / FISHING HOOK REMOVER PRO TOOL JUST $9.97! Some fishing pliers cost $30 or more each. These fishing pliers saltwater and freshwater work great for removing hooks from the...
- PROTECT YOUR HANDS FROM SHARP FISH TEETH – These fish dehookers have a specially long neck so you can take fish off the hook without getting your hands cut by the fish teeth or full of nasty fish...
- SELF OPENING GRIP – These fish pliers have a specially designed grip with a self-opening jaw that opens automatically and when squeezed grabs tight on fishing hooks. This will make removing fish...
Some companies take a relatively simple concept and sometimes overcomplicate things just a bit to stand out from their competition. This isn’t the case with the Big Worm Fishing Fish Hook Remover Tool as it is a simple, straightforward design that works like a charm. This tool operates using a stainless steel body that won’t easily bend or warp under heavy pressure, which means you’ll be able to twist or pull the tool in just about any way you need to remove the hook.
Instead of featuring a spring-loaded hook mechanism on the end of the tool, the Big Worm Fishing Fish Hook Remover Tool offers anglers with a grappling claw of sorts that allow them to obtain a better, more controlled grip on treble hooks than they would have using a hook-style tool.
This fish hook remover tool is designed to work best in both freshwater and saltwater fishing and is highly recommended for anglers who commonly use treble hooks and find that multiple hooks become firmly lodged in the mouth of their catch. Weighing in at only 3.7 ounces, the Big Worm Fishing Fish Hook Remover Tool is another tool that easily fits in with the rest of your gear in a tackle box or pocket.
9. Yiwoo 3PCS Easy Fish Hook Remover Squeeze-Out Separator Tools
For anglers who might be looking for a reliable, yet affordable fishing hook remover tool, the Yiwoo 3PCS Easy Fish Hook Remover Squeeze-Out Fish Hook Separator Tools is an excellent option. This is perfect for parents who want to purchase a hook remover tool for each of their children as the set comes with three tools that are virtually identical, except for their coloration.
Yiwoo is a company known for making tools that are straight to the point and this one is no exception. The thick shaft is made from tough aluminum material while the handle and trigger mechanisms are both designed from hardened ABS plastic material that won’t easily crack or break under pressure.
One of the only downsides to the Yiwoo 3PCS Easy Fish Hook Remover set is that each tool is only 7.8 inches long. Anglers who anticipate the need for longer shafts and deeper reach into the mouth of their catch might want to look elsewhere. Nevertheless, this is a solid fish hook remover tool that will function well in both saltwater or freshwater environments.
10. Booms Fishing R1 Stainless Steel Fish Hook Remover
- Work in saltwater and freshwater : Made by stainless steel when you going fishing whether saltwater or freshwater you can use it
- Easy to use : Spring loaded handle and 11-1/2” for one hand can remove the hooks clearly and quickly
- Save your hook : When the fish swallows your hooks and stay in deep throat it is difficult to remove the hook with a pliers ,but it works well for its slim
This version of fish hook remover tool might look identical to one that we’ve already listed, but upon closer inspection, anglers should notice some glaring differences. The Booms Fishing R1 Stainless Steel Fish Hook Remover is a longer, stronger fish hook remover tool that is specially designed for anglers who routinely tangle with tough fish.
The shaft portion of this tool is 11.5 inches, which gives anglers a deeper reach and better overall control over the hook inside the mouth of the fish. Like the Big Worm Company’s model, this tool is specially designed for anglers to firmly grip the whole body of a treble hook and maintain more control as they work to remove the hook from the fish’s mouth.
Booms is a name that’s been around the outdoor industry for years and this product is one that’s designed according to the same high standards that the company upholds. The spring-loaded claw handle makes it easy for anglers to get a good grip on their hook before they ever start to work it out of the fish.
Best of all, the Booms Fishing R1 Stainless Steel Fish Hook Remover comes with a Lifetime Guarantee from the company, meaning users can return the product if it happens to break or malfunction due to non-artificial damage. This is another solid addition to our list of the best fish hook remover tools that are currently on the market.
A fish hook remover tool is a great addition to anyone’s tackle box. They are a must have for catch and release anglers who want to make sure the fish is as healthy as possible. They aren’t a replacement for a good set of pliers or a multitool, but I would recommend giving them a try so that you can decide on whether it is something you want to use going forward.
There are also some great buyer’s guides available here to help you to make your decision.
If you have used one before (or use one often) then please leave a comment below and let us know of your thoughts and experiences so all anglers can gain from your knowledge and wisdom.
Last update on 2021-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API