Best 10 Fish Hook Remover Tools
For catch and relief fisherman, a good fish hook remover tool is a must have - the ability to remove a hook from a fish's mouth without causing any damage is crucial for keeping the fish healthy going forward.
A fish hook remover is a very simple tool that is worth having for any species who have strong jaws or teeth when the removal of a hook is difficult.
The way the tool's generally work is by hooking onto the fishing line. You then run the tool down the line into the fish's mouth until it clips over the hook. Then you can apply some pressure and push the hook out of the fish's jaw simply, quickly, and easily.
They can also be called a disgorger which are longer and can remove hooks that fish have swallowed deeper.
Quick Summary - Best Fish Hook Remover Tools
There are a variety of different length tools available - and this really depends on the type of fish you are targeting and whether they are more likely to bite or swallow the bait.
The most popular fish removal tools come from 8 inch to 13 inch. If you are targeting smaller freshwater species like bass fishing or walleye, then you can happily go with the shorter shaft lengths. If you are targeting larger saltwater game fish, like tuna or wahoo, then perhaps go with the longer options.
This tool will spend a lot of its life either in saltwater or in the elements so make sure you select one that is made from corrosion resistant materials so that it won't rust and will last longer.
We recommend aluminum or stainless steel to give the longest life - although we still suggest you flush it with freshwater at the end of your fishing adventure.
The handles are also often made from rubber to give comfort and non-slip properties.
There are two common styles for the grip - pistol grip or T grip. The T grips are more compact and will take up less space in your tackle box or boat. The pistol grip is generally more comfortable and will help you to find the hook and remove it more easily. If you need to get the hook out and the fish back into the water quickly then consider the pistol grip design.
The choice here really comes down to your personal preferences.
Some optional extras available include lanyards. This will allow you to keep your tool around your neck or even attached to your fly fishing vest so that it is easily accessible at all times.
The final extra is a flashlight attached to the shaft. I would suggest this is a luxury that is probably not needed. Most fisherman should have a powerful flashlight in their essential equipment at all times, and have a smaller light on this one particular tool is that especially useful.
How to Use a Fish Hook Remover Tool Video
A fish hook removal tool is very simple to use but it can be difficult to visualize. This video shows how easy they are to remove a hook from a fish's mouth and release the fish safely:
Top 10 Best Selling Fish Hook Remover Tools [This Month]
If you are interested in getting a fish hook remover, then have a look through this list. These are the top 10 best selling tools for this month. Have a look through your favorites within your budget to find the tool that is most suitable for your requirements.
- SPECIFICATIONS: Aluminum ABS Handle Stainless Steel Hook.It is not easy to produce embroidery, fast decoupling, no injury.
- PROTECTION - Don't worry about those fish with sharp teeth, such as trout and snapper etc, the hook remover will keep your fingers away from hooks.
- ONE-HANDED OPERATION - The ergonomic plastic handle can fit your palm perfectly. Great for single hand use. Easy to carry.
- 🐬 Features: The fish hook remover tool is not easy to produce embroidery, fast decoupling, no injury, portable belt
- 🐬 Remove Hooks Swallowed Deeply: Our fishing hook remover can help you to get those troublesome hooks out, such as gut hook
- 🐬 Single Hand Operation: The hook remover extractor designed with ergonomic plastic handle, can fit your palm perfectly. Great for single hand use
- ❤☀NOTE☀: If you don’t buy from "HLovebuy",you won't get the black rope as a gift and we will not be responsible for it. Material: Aluminum & ABS Handle & Stainless Steel Hook.It is not easy to...
- ❤Safety protection:Don't worry about those fish with sharp teeth, such as trout and snapper etc, the hook remover will keep your fingers away from hooks.Remove Hooks Swallowed Deeply:Getting those...
- ❤Less Harm: Remove most of hooks even the deep embedded hooks with less harm to the fish that allows angler to release fish to water.
- OPERATION: The ergonomic plastic handle can fit your palm perfectly. Great for single hand use.
- DESIGN:: Aluminum & ABS Handle & Stainless Steel Hook,the special tool designed to unhook the fishes, it's fast and easy to use.
- FEATHERS: It is not easy to produce embroidery, fast decoupling, no injury, portable belt.Getting those troublesome hooks out, such as gut hook.
- Well, keeping your game fish or undersized fish alive is important to keep the ecosystem balanced.
- So the best we can do is to release them back as fast as possible to minimize the death rate of the fishes. The special tool designed to unhook the fishes, it's fast and easy to use!
- Single Hand Operation: The ergonomic plastic handle can fit your palm perfectly. Great for single hand use.
- Packaging and size: you will get 2 hook removers, large size is 9.45 x 2.95 inches, small is 6.69 x 2.95 inches
- Material: the aluminum frame is light in weight and the stainless steel hook tongs are high in strength, the ergonomic plastic handle fits well in the palm of your hand, good for one-handed use
- Product features: not easy to embroider, quick decoupling, no damage, more protection, no longer have to worry about pointed fish such as squid, hook remover will protect your fingers away from the...
- Safety Protection＆Less Harm – Fish Hook Remover will keep your fingers away from hooks. Don't worry about those fish with sharp teeth, such as trout and snapper etc. The fish hook remover tool can...
- embedded hooks with less harm to the fish. Fast Decoupling, No Injury. Durable Material – Made of Anodized Aluminum and ABS handle and stainless steel hook, Fish Hook Remover Tool has a good salt...
- Professional Designed - The ergonomic plastic handle can fit your palm perfectly, easy to use and comfortable to hold and great for single hand use. Round hook design to prevent cutting the fishing...
- 【Great fishing tool set for fishermen】-- Our fishing pliers set include a stainless steel Fishing Pliers with sheath and lanyard, a Durable Hook Remover and a ABS plastic Fishing Gripper. Useful...
- 【Corrosion Resistant Fishing Pliers】-- The Fish pliers is made from corrosion resistant 420 stainless steel and coated with a tough Teflon coating for added protection. Split ring nose design is...
- 【Remove Hooks Swallowed Deeply】--10.63 inch Hook remover longer than others can remove the deep embedded hooks easily. Keeping your game fish or undersized fish alive is important to keep the...
- FISH HOOK REMOVER TOOL / FISHING HOOK REMOVER PRO TOOL JUST $8.97! Some fishing pliers cost $30 or more each. These fishing pliers saltwater and freshwater work great for removing hooks from the...
- PROTECT YOUR HANDS FROM SHARP FISH TEETH – These fish dehookers have a specially long neck so you can take fish off the hook without getting your hands cut by the fish teeth or full of nasty fish...
- SELF OPENING GRIP – These fish pliers have a specially designed grip with a self-opening jaw that opens automatically and when squeezed grabs tight on fishing hooks. This will make removing fish...
- 🐠【Perfect combo】Fish Hook Remover, and Stainless Steel Fishing Pliers with Nylon Sheath Kits(Including 2 spring coil)
- 🐠【Fish Hook Remover】 you can remover the hook easily safely and exactly, quick decoupling, no damage, T-handle style, perfect to fit the palm. ergonomic plastic handles perfectly fit your palm
- 🐠【Stainless Steel Fishing Pliersuse】fishing pliers fishing tools set is suitable for split ring, remover hooks, press lead, line-cutter and so on
A fish hook remover tool is a great addition to anyone's tackle box. They are a must have for catch and release anglers who want to make sure the fish is as healthy as possible. They aren't a replacement for a good set of pliers or a multitool, but I would recommend giving them a try so that you can decide on whether it is something you want to use going forward.
There are also some great buyer's guides available here to help you to make your decision.
If you have used one before (or use one often) then please leave a comment below and let us know of your thoughts and experiences so all anglers can gain from your knowledge and wisdom.