Best 10 Fish Hook Remover Tools
For catch and relief fisherman, a good fish hook remover tool is a must have - the ability to remove a hook from a fish's mouth without causing any damage is crucial for keeping the fish healthy going forward.
A fish hook remover is a very simple tool that is worth having for any species who have strong jaws or teeth when the removal of a hook is difficult.
The way the tool's generally work is by hooking onto the fishing line. You then run the tool down the line into the fish's mouth until it clips over the hook. Then you can apply some pressure and push the hook out of the fish's jaw simply, quickly, and easily.
They can also be called a disgorger which are longer and can remove hooks that fish have swallowed deeper.
Table of Contents
Quick Summary - Best Fish Hook Remover Tools
There are a variety of different length tools available - and this really depends on the type of fish you are targeting and whether they are more likely to bite or swallow the bait.
The most popular fish removal tools come from 8 inch to 13 inch. If you are targeting smaller freshwater species like bass fishing or walleye, then you can happily go with the shorter shaft lengths. If you are targeting larger saltwater game fish, like tuna or wahoo, then perhaps go with the longer options.
This tool will spend a lot of its life either in saltwater or in the elements so make sure you select one that is made from corrosion resistant materials so that it won't rust and will last longer.
We recommend aluminum or stainless steel to give the longest life - although we still suggest you flush it with freshwater at the end of your fishing adventure.
The handles are also often made from rubber to give comfort and non-slip properties.
There are two common styles for the grip - pistol grip or T grip. The T grips are more compact and will take up less space in your tackle box or boat. The pistol grip is generally more comfortable and will help you to find the hook and remove it more easily. If you need to get the hook out and the fish back into the water quickly then consider the pistol grip design.
The choice here really comes down to your personal preferences.
Some optional extras available include lanyards. This will allow you to keep your tool around your neck or even attached to your fly fishing vest so that it is easily accessible at all times.
The final extra is a flashlight attached to the shaft. I would suggest this is a luxury that is probably not needed. Most fisherman should have a powerful flashlight in their essential equipment at all times, and have a smaller light on this one particular tool is that especially useful.
How to Use a Fish Hook Remover Tool Video
A fish hook removal tool is very simple to use but it can be difficult to visualize. This video shows how easy they are to remove a hook from a fish's mouth and release the fish safely:
Top 10 Best Selling Fish Hook Remover Tools [This Month]
If you are interested in getting a fish hook remover, then have a look through this list. These are the top 10 best selling tools for this month. Have a look through your favorites within your budget to find the tool that is most suitable for your requirements.
- OPERATION: The ergonomic plastic handle can fit your palm perfectly. Great for single hand use.
- DESIGN:: Aluminum & ABS Handle & Stainless Steel Hook,the special tool designed to unhook the fishes, it's fast and easy to use.
- FEATHERS: It is not easy to produce embroidery, fast decoupling, no injury, portable belt.Getting those troublesome hooks out, such as gut hook.
- Material: Aluminum & ABS Handle & Stainless Steel Hook.It is not easy to produce embroidery, fast decoupling, no injury.
- Safety protection:Don't worry about those fish with sharp teeth, such as trout and snapper etc, the hook remover will keep your fingers away from hooks.Remove Hooks Swallowed Deeply:Getting those...
- Less Harm: Remove most of hooks even the deep embedded hooks with less harm to the fish that allows angler to release fish to water.
- Work in saltwater and freshwater : Made by stainless steel when you going fishing whether saltwater or freshwater you can use it
- Easy to use : Spring loaded handle and 11-1/2” for one hand can remove the hooks clearly and quickly
- Save your hook : When the fish swallows your hooks and stay in deep throat it is difficult to remove the hook with a pliers ,but it works well for its slim
- Packaging and size: you will get 2 hook removers, large size is 9.45 x 2.95 inches, small is 6.69 x 2.95 inches
- Material: the aluminum frame is light in weight and the stainless steel hook tongs are high in strength, the ergonomic plastic handle fits well in the palm of your hand, good for one-handed use
- Product features: not easy to embroider, quick decoupling, no damage, more protection, no longer have to worry about pointed fish such as squid, hook remover will protect your fingers away from the...
- Plastic construction, lightweight and practical, easy to carry, convenient to use
- Perfect for removing hooks from fish with teeth or deeply-hooked fish.Perfect for the deep set hooks and extremely effective
- Decrease the rate of hurting fish, ensures maximum post-release survival probability
- 🐠【Perfect combo】Fish Hook Remover, and Stainless Steel Fishing Pliers with Nylon Sheath Kits(Including 2 spring coil)
- 🐠【Fish Hook Remover】 you can remover the hook easily safely and exactly, quick decoupling, no damage, T-handle style, perfect to fit the palm. ergonomic plastic handles perfectly fit your palm
- 🐠【Stainless Steel Fishing Pliersuse】fishing pliers fishing tools set is suitable for split ring, remover hooks, press lead, line-cutter and so on
- One Hand Operation: The internal spring mechanism and the ergonomic plastic handle that can fit your palm perfectly are great for single hand operation. The handles feature slip-proof pattern grips...
- More Protection：Allows you to reach a gut-hooked fish with sharp teeth deeply without injuring and gently pull the hook out without further damage. Keep your fingers away from hooks.
- Anti-corrosive Construction: The stainless steel hook and the aluminum alloy shaft is lightweight and corrosion-resistant, ensuring it can function in both freshwater and saltwater environment. The...
- 🐟 Safe and efficient: Using a fish hook remover, can remove the fish hook, and at the same time avoid the hand being cut. The fish gripper can prevent our hands from directly contacting the fish...
- 🐟 Fish Hook Remover - Made of Anodized Aluminum and ABS handle and stainless steel hook, Fish Hook Remover Tool has a good salt water corrosion resistance. It can always accompany you and witness...
- 🐟 Fish Gripper - Made of plastic, the Fish Gripper can float on water. Durable and lightweight. The fish Gripper is easy to use with one hand. The flat jaw can grip fish lip tightly but not do harm...
- √ Light weight &Strong: Selected aviation class aluminum tube with Stainless steel hook
- √ Comfortable handling: Ergonomic Carbine design
- √ Fashion colors: Corrosion resistant fashion attractive colors
- SPECIFICATIONS: aluminum ABS handle stainless steel easy hook eemover.It is not easy to produce embroidery, fast decoupling, no injury.
- PROTECTION - don't worry about those fish with sharp teeth, such as trout and snapper etc, the fish hook remover pro remover will keep your fingers away from hooks.
- ONE-HANDED OPERATION - hook extractor fishing the ergonomic plastic handle can fit your palm perfectly. Great for single hand use. Easy to carry.
A fish hook remover tool is a great addition to anyone's tackle box. They are a must have for catch and release anglers who want to make sure the fish is as healthy as possible. They aren't a replacement for a good set of pliers or a multitool, but I would recommend giving them a try so that you can decide on whether it is something you want to use going forward.
There are also some great buyer's guides available here to help you to make your decision.
If you have used one before (or use one often) then please leave a comment below and let us know of your thoughts and experiences so all anglers can gain from your knowledge and wisdom.