Best 10 Circle Hooks and Why to Use Them [2021 Update]
If you’re always worried about killing a fish with your sharp hooks as soon as you take it out, a circle hook is what you should get!
Circle fishing hooks have gained much popularity as they are shown to increase the survival of a released fish. For this reason, they have become the first priority of anglers for recreational activities.
According to experts, the biggest factor that affects the survival of anglers released fish is the part of the fish body where it was hooked. Generally, when the fish is hooked deep down the throat, its chances of survival becomes very less. But by using a circle hook, the chances of survival gets increased as it is hooked in the corner of the mouth.
In this article, we have compiled a useful circle fishing hook buying guide along with the benefits of using it.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is A Circle Fishing Hook?
- 2 Why Use A Circle Fishing Hook?
- 3 Circle Fishing Hooks Buying Guide
- 4 Best 10 Circle Hooks for the Money [This Month]
What Is A Circle Fishing Hook?
As the name suggests, a circle fishing hook is circular or oval in shape. It is manufactured by turning the point perpendicular to the shank to form a circular shape. According to studies, circular hooks hook a bigger portion of fish as compared to the conventional “J” shaped hooks.
Why Use A Circle Fishing Hook?
Here are the most common reasons to use circle fishing hooks :
It Sets The Hook On Its Own
When you’re using a circle hook, make sure you don’t tug the hook once you get a bite. Otherwise you will end up pulling the hook abruptly from the mouth of fish. Instead, you should let the pressure build slowly after reeling down. This pressure automatically sets the hook as it gets pulled from the mouth of fish.
The ability of a circle hook to set itself makes it suitable for the less skilled and experienced anglers. So, if you’re a beginner or just started to learn fishing, a circle hook will offer great help.
It Catches The Fish In The Corner Of Its Mouth
The second biggest reason to use a circle fishing hook is it catches the fish by the corner of its mouth. When the hook is set in the corner of the fish’s mouth, the line is kept away from the sharp teeth. This allows you to land the fish quickly before it chews your leader. Also, because the mono or fluorocarbon leader stays away from the mouth of your catch, the hook enables you to use a lightweight leader which will ultimately result in more bites.
It Reduces The Chances Hooking The Fish In Its Gut
By far the biggest and the most popular reason for using a circle hook is, it prevents a fish swallowing the hook. All thanks to the circular shape. This shape creates a gap between the point and the hook shank as the point of the hook is turned inward. This design reduces the possibility of grabbing the fish from its gut because the shank exits in its mouth. With the shank in the mouth, the hook adjusts itself and sets in the corner of the mouth of your target.
So, these were the most common reasons for using circle fishing hooks. But with tons of varieties and different brands, it can be a bit tricky to purchase the right circle hook. To help you make an informed decision, here is a complete circle fishing hook buying guide.
Circle Fishing Hooks Buying Guide
Don’t just pick any circle hook you come across randomly. Instead, look for its features and the factors that make it the best fishing hook. If you have no idea what features to look for, here is a simple list for you :
The very first thing to look at while purchasing a circular fishing hook is its size. Generally, the bigger hooks don’t penetrate the fish’s mouth properly and get away from the path. Similar is the case with extremely smaller hooks.
So, always look for a hook with medium size. It should be able to penetrate the mouth of a majority of big and small fishes.
Sharpness is again a crucial factor to consider when selecting the best circle hook. If your hook is not sharp, your target will simply devour the bait and run away. So, if you don’t want this to happen, look for a high-quality and sharp hook. If you can, always prefer surgically sharpened circle hooks as they are much better.
Type of Fish You’re Targeting
Generally, a majority of people ignore this factor while purchasing a fishing hook which later results in problems at the time of catching bigger or smaller fish species. For this reason, it’s an important factor to consider. Always keep the type of fish you’re going to target while determining the size and type of the fishing hook. Moreover, pay attention to the type of water where you’re going for fishing because a hook that works fine in freshwater may not work in saltwater.
The Fishing Location
As we already discussed above, different kinds of fish live in different types of water. So, the choice of hook depends on the fishing location to a great extent. To repeat once again, the same hook may not work both in saltwater and freshwater.
The reason behind this is, the saltwater tends to corrode the hooks by forming a tough layer of rust which ultimately degrades its quality. To prevent this from happening, look for the hooks that have a corrosion-resistant layer on them.
However, if you’re only willing to perform in freshwater, the hooks without anti-rust protection will work fine. But again, invest in the one that is safe from corrosion because you never know when you might shift to a new fishing location.
Last but not the least, the material from which the hook is constructed plays a very important role in deciding the strength and durability of the hook. Better the material quality, better will be its performance. So, look for the hook that is made from a high-quality material. Don’t go for cheap materials just to save a few bucks. Also, if it is possible, go for the non-toxic and environment-friendly materials.
Best 10 Circle Hooks for the Money [This Month]
- Package Included: 150pcs/lot, 25pcs each for size #1, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0, 5/0 In A Reusable Plastic Box
- Sharp, Clean, Uniform, Strong, and Durable.
- Perfect shape designed. Grabbing onto whatever is in it's way and never snagging on rocks.
- ►Unique Design --- Extremely sharp, Offset Ponit, Special Barb Hooks is designed to ensure that the hook point rolls in the corner of the fish's mouth and lowers fish mortality.
- ►Must Have for Fresh & Saltwater Fishing --- UCEC Circle Hooks assortment is perfect for inshore saltwater fishing and freshwater fishing. 8 mixed sizes of fishing hooks is suitable for bass,...
- ►Premium Quality --- Made of High carbon steel，which is high strength and corrosion resistance for freshwater or saltwater fishing.
- Significantly increase you chances of landing the catch
- Made environmentally friendly
- Used by professional anglers worldwide
- Wide Gap - Featuring a wide gap, this fishing hook offers the best hookup ratios
- Less Deep-Hooking - The distinct circle hook ensures the hook travels to the corner of the mouth, for easy hook removal, and more catches
- The Ultimate Catch & Release Hook - Setting the hook is more of a firm tightening of the line, than an actual strike
- What You Get: 180Pcs saltwater circle hooks neatly separated by 6 sizes (50pcs for each size 1/0 and 2/0, 20pcs for each 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 6/0) and 5pcs fishing clips, all in a reusable box. A good...
- Versatile Fishing Clips: Stainless steel fishing clips designed for easier lures, rigs, leaders changing, many various lure types match.
- Saltwater/Freshwater Fishing Hook: Octopus circle hooks are effective to catch catfish, bass, trout, walleye, salmon, perch. Must-have fishing hooks for freshwater and saltwater fishing.
- What You Get: 50pcs for size 1/0, 2/0 and 20pcs for each 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 6/0, 180pcs/box in total. 6 different sizes are well assorted in a reusable ultra hard plastic box.
- Hooks Advantage: High quality stainless steel strengthens hooks without bending easily and avoid escaping. Great performance in increasing catching rate with nice strength (25% increased strength over...
- Circle Fishing hook: Closed eye, short shank, offset point, special barbed hooks, an inward bending point, circle hooks designed for saltwater / freshwater fishing. No big gap in hook eye but tightly...
- 120 FISHING HOOKS FISHING ASSORTMENT KIT LARGE / FISHING HOOKS SALTWATER / FRESHWATER FOR JUST $9.97! Always looking for the right size hooks for fishing? This fishing hook 120 piece variety pack is...
- MULTIPLE PERFECT SIZED FISHING HOOKS – Sizes included (15 of Each): Size 1, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 6/0 and 8/0. Work to fill your hooks box and these are not cheap fishing hooks small. Perfect...
- PERFECT LARGE FISHING HOOKS – This fishing hook consists of 120 high quality strong carbon steel fishing hucks. Work for fishing line hooks to hook fish. These will make catching fish simple! If you...
- Circle Hooks - Extremely sharp, offset ponit, special barb hooks is designed to ensure that the hook point rolls in the corner of the fish's mouth and lowers fish mortality.
- Saltwater Hooks - Strong high carbon steel hooks without bending easily and avoid escaping. Great performance in increasing catching rate with nice strength, endurance and corrosion resistance.
- Good Craftsmanship - The circle hooks eye is clearly bent into a round circle, the barb is masterfully designed, the shaft gently curves into the correct bends and shapes to make hooking fish easily.
- Includes 156 pcs extra sharp Octopus Circle Offset hooks in six assorted sizes: 5/0, 4/0, 3/0, 2/0, 1/0, 1; and 26 pcs per size; providing better value for money
- Manufactured by combining the popular self-setting circle hook with a classic offset Octopus hook design, allowing fish to be mouth hooked as opposed to gut hooked preserving the quality of the fish...
- Turned eye with offset point increases the potential to catch hold and to accommodate larger baits when needed
- Package Include: 80pcs circle high carbon steel hooks, size: 1/0 2/0 3/0 4/0 5/0 6/0 7/0 8/0 9/0 for you chose.
- High Strength: The in-line circle hooks are made with high-carbon steel, specially tempered, corrosion resistance
- Pay Attention: These ultra-point hooks are extremely sharp. Please take care in handling it. Keep it out of children's reach
There you have it! Keep in mind the following factors and you’ll surely be able to select the right circle hook for yourself.
Last update on 2021-03-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API