Best 8 Crankbait Lures [2021 Update]
Crankbait are one of the most popular hard body lures in North American angling today. They have proven to be successful with plenty of different species like bass, walleye, and bluegill. But it can be difficult to sort through the hundreds of different brands and colors available on the market to find one that suits your requirements.
We have put together a buyer’s guide of all of the important differences you will find when researching crankbaits such as the depth, weight, color, hook quality, and size.
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick Summary – Best Crankbait
- 2 Crankbait Buyer’s Guide
- 3 Best 8 Crankbaits
- 3.1 1. Best Overall Crankbait – Truscend Fishing Lures
- 3.2 2. Best Crankbait for Bass – Strike King Pro-Model 8XD Crankbait
- 3.3 3. Best Crankbait for Walleye – Rapala Original Floating
- 3.4 4. Best Crankbait for Crappie – Sunlure Topwater
- 3.5 5. Best Crankbait for Trout – Trout Magnet
- 3.6 6. Best Crankbait for Pike – Rapala Super Shad
- 3.7 7. Best Crankbait for Bluegill – Teeny Wee Crawfish
- 3.8 8. Best Crankbait for Catfish – wLure Minnow Crankbait
- 4 Conclusion
Quick Summary – Best Crankbait
- Best Overall Crankbait: Truscend Fishing Lure
- Best Bass Crankbait: Strike King Pro-Model 8XD Crankbait
- Best Walleye Crankbait: Rapala Original Floating
- Best Trout Crankbait: Trout Magnet
- Best Crappie Crankbait: Sunlure Topwater
Crankbait Buyer’s Guide
We have put together some of the most important criteria for selecting the perfect crankbait for your needs. This really depends on the type of fish you are targeting and even the time of year. Fish often shelter in different depths with changing water temperatures, and you will need to have a good understanding of what depth you need to target before selecting a lure.
What is a Crankbait?
A crankbait is a hard-plastic fishing lure that mimics the swimming action of a baitfish. They normally have a bill that controls their depth but are also available in lipless form. As you crank the reel and retrieve the lure the bill causes the crankbait to drag the lure underwater. Crankbaits are generally buoyant and float to the surface, hence the name that the lure is only an effective bait when cranking the reel and retrieving the lure.
What is the Difference between a Crankbait and a Jerkbait?
Crankbaits and jerkbaits are both hard body lures but a jerkbait tends to have a longer, slimmer body with 3 x treble hooks while a crankbait only has 2 x hooks.
Jerkbaits are often used in winter months and crankbaits are used in summer months, however this is just a rule of thumb, not a hard and fast rule.
Jerkbaits are used with a jerking, twitchy action, while crankbaits are used with a more regular, consistent fashion.
When to Use a Crankbait?
Crankbait can be used on most fish that prey on smaller bait fish. They are most often used in freshwater lakes and rivers, and are generally too small to use on saltwater big game fish.
Some of the most popular fish species you will catch using a crankbait include:
They will not be as effective on fish that prey on insects or flies.
There is also a rule of thumb that crankbaits are used in summer and jerkbaits are used in winter.
How to Use a Crankbait?
A crankbait is no different to any other lure. Cast it to your target location and retrieve it, allowing the bill to pull the lure underwater to the target depth. Generally crankbaits are retrieved in a steady, regular rate.
A high speed spinning reel or baitcasting reel is recommended as it allows you to retrieve the crankbait and get it deeper without needing to wind too fast. We recommend a high speed reel with a 6:1 ratio.
The key for having success with a crankbait is to understand your target fish. Knowing the depth they are feeding or sheltering, the color and size of their natural prey, and then selecting an appropriate crankbait will go a long way to catching more fish.
The physical size of your lure can be a deterrent for fish to strike. A rule of thumb is to mimic the size of the bait fish that your target species will be feeding on. You don’t want to have a lure that is bigger than the fish you are fishing for.
It is always amazing how big a lure a small fish will try to eat though.
- Short – 1-3 inches
- Medium – 4-6 inches
- Long – 7-9 inches
The preferred crankbait size for popular fish species are:
- Largemouth Bass – 2-5 inches
- Smallmouth Bass – 2-5 inches
- Walleye – 3-6 inches
- Pike – 4-9 inches
- Crappie – 1-3 inches
Crankbait are naturally buoyant and will float until they are retrieved when the bill forces them underwater to their advertised depth.
But there is a practice to add weight to the crankbait so that it sinks. This allows you to get the lure deeper and retrieve it slower. It can also help to cast the crankbait further.
If you are casting at some deep timber and want the lure to sink to the preferred depth before you start the retrieve then you may want to consider adding weight.
The color of the crankbait you select can play a big role in determining whether a fish bites or not. There are two theories of color selection:
- Select a color that mimics the local baitfish that your target fish are already feeding on
- Select a bright color that stands out from murky water and will attract the fish’s attention
We highly recommend having multiple different colors available in your tackle box at any time so that you can change colors if the fish don’t appear to be interested in your first color.
- Popular Bass Lure Colors: Chartreuse, Pink, Orange, Black, Blue, Purple
- Popular Trout Lure Colors: Silver, Gold, White, Red
- Popular Walleye Lure Colors: Silver, Black, Gold, Purple
- Popular Catfish Lure Colors: Orange, Red
- Popular Crappie Lure Colors: Chartreuse, Shad
- Popular Pike Lure Colors: Black, Silver, Gold
- Popular Bluegill Lure Colors: Blue, Pearl, Orange, Chartreuse
The depth that you are targeting will also impact on the color you should choice.
If you have any popular colors for different fish species then please let us know by leaving a comment at the end of this article.
The depth you select really depends on the fish species you are targeting and the depth that they will be sheltering and feeding. This often changes depending on the time of year and the water temperature.
Walleye for example often shelter in 15-30 feet of water during the day and move to 6-10 feet during dawn and dusk to feed. You will need to select the right lure to suit your fishing requirements.
- Topwater – On the surface
- Shallow – 1-5 feet deep
- Medium – 5-12 feet deep
- Deep – 12-30 feet deep
It is always a good idea to have a variety of lures that go to different depths in your tackle bag. This will allow you to adjust your lure position as the fish move. It will also prevent you from spending all day fishing at the wrong depth.
The lure depth also impacts on the color choice as different colors are more visible at different depths:
- Red and orange are eliminated first after the top 15-20 feet of water.
- Yellow and green persist down to 50-60 feet.
- Blue and violet will go down to 100 feet in clear water.
Crankbait Video Summary
The video below gives a good overview of crankbaits and some of the equipment you will need to use them.
Best 8 Crankbaits
We have also put together a list of the top crankbaits for different fish species, such as bass, trout, walleye, and catfish. These have been selected using the above criteria and other user reviews.
1. Best Overall Crankbait – Truscend Fishing Lures
The truscend fishing lure is a must have for beginner and experienced anglers alike. It comes in a variety of different colored packs, which helps you to put the favorite bait in front of that hungry fish.
The multi-jointed body make it swim a lot more realistically than solid hard body crankbaits.
A big criticism of most crankbaits is the poor quality hooks they come with. This Truscend lure comes with high quality mustad hooks that will do the job of catching big fish.
It is suitable for a wide range of both freshwater and saltwater fish species including bass, yellow perch, walleye, pike, muskie, roach, and trout.
Depth: 3-5 feet
- 🐟【6 SEGMENTS LIFELIKE LURES】Designed with 6 segment multi-jointed body, TRUSCEND fishing lure can sink slowly and move flexible in water. In addition, life-like swimming actions make it...
- 🐟【HIGH SIMULATION】With 3D realistic looking eyes and pearl powder coating, this swimbait appears very delicate and vivid that looks like a real fish. A perfect fishing bait that easily cheats...
- 🐟【BASS VIBRATION】Made of high-quality ABS material and equipped with built-in rattle, this vibe lure can continuously emit the fish sound wave to during the swimming to provoke the feeding urge...
2. Best Crankbait for Bass – Strike King Pro-Model 8XD Crankbait
If you are looking for a good crankbait for bass fishing, then look no further than the Strike King Pro-Model. This is a favorite of anglers all over North America.
It is lightweight and easy to cast long distances. It can also dive deep to 20 feet so gives you plenty of variety in depths throughout the water column.
The variety of colors will help you to attract bass in all different environments and seasons. We strongly recommended getting different colors in your tackle box so that you can keep changing until you find the color that happens to attract bass today. You never know exactly what they will be looking for, so make sure you have options.
Size: 5 1/2 inches long
Weight: 1 1/3 ounces
Depth: 20 feet
Color Range: Wide range of 24 different and popular colors
Enter your text here…
- Free floating rattle chambers
- Emit varying sound frequencies
- Superb lifelike finishes
3. Best Crankbait for Walleye – Rapala Original Floating
The best walleye crankbait available today is the same as it was years ago, the Rapala Original Floating Lure. This lure has stood the test of time and consistently puts a bait in front of hungry fish.
They don’t dive super deep but have one of the most natural looking swimming actions around. There are also plenty of varieties with #11 being a common favorite.
This rapala lure has probably caught more walleye over the years than most other crankbaits combined.
- Balsa Wood Construction
- Natural Minnow Profile
- Stainless Through Wire Construction
We have also put together an article dedicated to the Best Lures for Walleye that you might enjoy.
4. Best Crankbait for Crappie – Sunlure Topwater
Sunlure make these brilliant little lures for crappie. They come in packs of 10 and 20 so you can get a large variety of 10 different colors without spending a fortune. They are available in two sizes and weights, to help to mimic the baitfish.
The colorful bodies will help to attract crappie even in low visibility conditions. The lure is made from hard plastic and has carbon steel trebble hooks.
These are small lures for small fish so don’t be surprised when you see them.
- Mini fishing lures Crankbait- Length: 2.85cm/4.7cm; Weight: 1.95g/4g; 10 colors are avaiable
- 3D life-like fish eyes with fish-attracting laser printed body provides excellent appearance of fishing lures. Double flat strong rings and high carbon steel treble hooks offers continuous metal flash...
- Lifelike and rapid action in water. Realistic painting with colorful body can make it easy to catch fish
5. Best Crankbait for Trout – Trout Magnet
This trout magnet crankbait is famous for being effective, and I would suggest it will be for you as well.
It contains rattles within the body to provide a noise attractant to let the trout know the bait is there.
It is evenly waited to help it stay at a fixed level even when stopped. There are also some brilliant natural looking colors that will help you either blend in or stand out with the bait fish.
It is useful for catching all species but it is particularly good on trout as previously mentioned.
Size: 2 1/2 inches long
Depth: 2-4 feet
- DEADLY BAIT FOR ALL SPECIES: Designed not just for trout but other species like them too
- JERK BAIT ACTION: Long slender design is perfect for stop and go action/jerk bait type action
- RATTLES: Small rattles add to the effectiveness of this lure
6. Best Crankbait for Pike – Rapala Super Shad
Unlike most of the other lures we have shown here, this crankbait is made from durable wood. Its baitfish profile and color pattern make it almost indistinguishable under water. The hardware and hooks are heavy duty to make sure it doesn’t slip under a hungry fish bite.
Each lure is hand tuned and tank tested before being shipped, so you know you will receive a crankbait that works. It is made with stainless steel through wire. It is built to withstand the bite and strike of big saltwater tarpon, so you know it will survive a pike battle.
This is a mid depth lure bait. With all Rapala made lures you will have success for years to come with this model.
Size: 5.5 inch
Weight: 1 5/8 ounces
Depth: 5-9 feet
- Super Tough Abachi Wood Construction
- Natural baitfish profile.
- Life-like patterns.
7. Best Crankbait for Bluegill – Teeny Wee Crawfish
This Rebel Lures mimics a fleeing crawfish and is available in 9 brilliant colors. Teeny Wee is right, this is an ultralight and ultra-small lure that will help you to entice hungry bluegill into taking a bite. At around 1.5 inches long, this is a wee little crankbait.
This has a distinctive quivering motion that will attract bluegill in clear waters and rivers. It also has a hard plastic body that can withstand the bites of fish for years to come.
These are popular with kayak fishing and can catch a variety of species including bass, trout, and sunfish. There are also two different models with different depths so you can adjust depending on where the fish are sheltering.
- Country Of Origin : China
- Model Number : F7760
- Baits mimics a fleeing crawfish
8. Best Crankbait for Catfish – wLure Minnow Crankbait
Including a free tackle box, this minnow crankbait will help you catch some good sized catfish. There are over 24 different colors and styles so you can switch it up if the fish aren’t biting.
These lures are also very low cost as they come directly from the manufacturer in China. I would suggest buying more than you need in case of ppor quality, but at these prices it is still good value. You can probably buy a whole box of these for the price of a single lure from other manufacturers.
And surprisingly they come with good quality, sharp hooks that you won’t need to replace.
Size: 3 1/2 inches long
Weight: 3/8 ounces
- wLure - We Make Every Lure Special! Best Fishing Gift for Him or Her!
- Length: 3 1/2 inch (9 cm), Body Length: 3 inch (7.5 cm), Weight: 3/8 oz (11.8 g), Depth: Shallow, Free Tackle Box
- Impressive Lifelike Patterns/Colors Powered by wLure RealSkin Technology
That brings us to the end. I hope you have found out some new information about lures, such as when to use them and when not to. You will also have seen some of the most popular crankbaits available on the market today. Having a variety of different size, depth, and color lures available in your tackle box will allow you to change things up until you find what the fish are hungry for today.
There are also plenty of information available to explain more about how crankbaits work and when to use them on the Vermont fishing website.
If you have experience with catching fish using crankbaits then we would love to hear your advice in the comments below. This will allow all anglers to learn and improve their skills. If you have any particular lures or colors that you have had success with in the past, then please pass along your recommendations. We are always looking for new lures to try.
Last update on 2021-04-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API