Best 10 Fishing Face Masks + Buying Guide [2021 Reviews]
One of the most important things an angler can do in terms of looking out for their health and safety on the water is protecting their skin. Anglers across the world are now realizing the dangerous effects of the sun’s UV rays and how it’s been scientifically proven that cumulative exposure to these rays over time can often result in skin cancer.
Thankfully, with recent innovations in technology and fabrics, there are a number of outdoor brands who have concentrated their efforts to produce specialized face masks that are aimed at providing you with adequate protection from the sun and wind while you’re fishing. These masks have become quite popular in recent years as more and more anglers recognize their ability to keep your face protected from sun damage.
There are a number of different brands that are now producing these masks, so it can be tough for the average angler to sift through all of the options and narrow their choices down to the best fishing face masks. We’ve done most of the work for you in that respect and have combed through many of the most popular mask styles, brands, and fabrics, to produce this list of the best 10 fishing face masks for this season.
Table of Contents
- 1 Do You Need to Wear a Fishing Face Mask?
- 2 Best Fishing Face Mask Buyer’s Guide
- 3 Best 10 Fishing Face Masks
- 3.1 1. Aqua Design Fishing Hunting Masks Neck Gaiters
- 3.2 2. S A UV Face Shields
- 3.3 3. NEXTOUR Headwear Sport Scarf 12 In 1 Sweatband For Fishing
- 3.4 4. Coolibar UPF 50+ Layered Mask
- 3.5 5. Pamase American Flag Set Of 3
- 3.6 6. EXIO Winter Neck Warmer Gaiter/Balaclava
- 3.7 7. MoKo Fishing Mask With Hat
- 3.8 8. Achiou Neck Gaiter Face Mask
- 3.9 9. Fishmasks Single Layer Neck Gaiter
- 3.10 10. Mossy Oak Elements Fishing Mask With Breathable Mesh & UPF Protection
Do You Need to Wear a Fishing Face Mask?
Various scientific studies have been released over the last few years that show the harmful effects of the sun’s UV rays. For anglers who spend many days out of the year on the water, it’s not uncommon to experience sunburn or even windburn that can result from staying out when it’s very windy on the lake or ocean. The result of doing this for many years without any form of protection to stop or limit the sun’s harmful UV rays is eventually going to end with skin cancer.
Skin cancer can occur on anyone, but anglers who spend many days outside are at a much greater risk of developing this type of cancer. In most cases, skin cancer can easily be removed by a dermatologist, but melanoma skin cancer can prove to be deadly if left untreated for extended periods of time. The best way to avoid developing skin cancer is to take measures to limit the amount of UV rays on your skin.
Most anglers simply opt for using sunscreen lotion or sprays that can prove to be quite effective when it comes to blocking some of the harmful UV rays and their effects. You’ll be able to limit or avoid sunburn and can usually rely on sunscreen to keep you well protected from the sun’s harmful effects. However, it’s just not conducive for anglers to use sunscreen in most cases.
Sunscreen typically comes in a spray or lotion that you’ll need to lather onto your skin to get the best results. Doing this will get copious amounts of sunscreen on your hands, which will then usually be transferred onto anything else you touch. Fish often pick up on the slightest bit of strange scents that can be detected in lures or hooks and might not bite as a result of the strong chemical odors in most sunscreen lotion.
It’s obvious that any angler should wear some form of protection from the sun, but sunscreen isn’t always the best choice for attracting fish to bite your lure. This means that it’s absolutely essential for any angler to wear a fishing face mask in order to protect their skin.
Best Fishing Face Mask Buyer’s Guide
When it comes to shopping for the best fishing face masks that are currently on the market, there are a number of factors you’ll want to pay close attention to in order to make sure you’re getting the best product for your money. All of the different options and fabrics that are used to make fishing face masks can be confusing for newcomers who have never used a fishing face mask on the water.
We’ve put together this Buyer’s Guide to help you navigate through some of the most important aspects of the mask that you should understand. If you stick to the various quality indicators that we mention in this Buyer’s Guide, you’ll have no problem finding the fishing face mask that’s right for you.
Fabric and Composition
One of the most obvious points of interest you should pay attention to when purchasing a fishing face mask is the particular fabric or material that the mask is made of. There are a huge number of companies that now manufacture these fishing face masks from different types of material.
These different materials will usually have more or less ability to block out the sun’s harmful UV rays, as well as other advantages such as being breathable material that also offers quick-drying technology, which is especially useful on the water.
Based on our research, there are two main types of material that most companies use to make their fishing face masks: synthetic microfiber and merino wool.
Merino Wool Material
When it comes to using merino wool to make various outdoor products, this fibrous material is typically used to produce winter sweaters, gloves, face coverings, and a number of other items. It’s known for having excellent insulation when used in very thick layers, but merino wool can actually be an ideal type of material for making fishing face masks in very thin layers.
This type of material wasn’t used to make warm-weather face masks until just a few years ago when brands started testing it to see if it would display the right properties needed to block out UV rays and keep your face protected while you’re on the water. It’s gained quite a bit of popularity over the last few years due to its ability to protect your face and neck.
Merino wool is made from a special type of sheep that produces a softer, more fine quality than other types of wool. While most outdoorsmen and women who are familiar with merino wool might think it would be counterproductive for using in hot, sunny weather, merino wool actually possesses a heightened ability to wick away moisture compared to other fabrics.
This means your skin will stay dry and cool underneath the fishing face mask instead of feeling hot and clammy. This small, but very important quality will go a long way in making sure you remain cool and comfortable on the water instead of getting easily overheated and sweaty under your mask.
The fact that merino wool is capable of being made into a great-fitting face mask for anglers means that it is also one of the most expensive materials. If you’re looking for a mask that’s top quality and will last for several seasons or years, a merino wool fishing face mask is a great option.
A more affordable and more commonly-used type of material is synthetic microfiber. This can be any type of polyester material that possesses a decent amount of qualities that make it a good option for fishing face masks.
The main reason companies choose to use this type of material is that it can easily stretch and fit your face in a way that doesn’t leave room between your skin and the polyester material. This tight fitting capability is good for allowing your skin to breath through the synthetic microfiber material.
The material is also much more durable than most other type of fiber than are used for fishing face masks. It will last longer and won’t be as easy to rip or tear compared to fabrics like merino wool or others. The polyester material also allows your fishing face mask to be very lightweight and comfortable to wear in almost any type of environment, from hot, dry weather to very humid conditions.
The fact that polyester material is capable of stretching and fitting more tightly over your head and neck means you’ll be able to use this mask as a headband or neckband, depending on what your needs are. The only main downside to synthetic microfiber material is that it is often not as breathable as merino wool or other types of fabric.
The next most important aspect that you’ll want to pay attention to when shopping for your fishing face mask is just how much of your skin will be covered and protected when wearing this mask. Some fishing face masks are designed to cover just the user’s neck while others are capable of stretching to cover your entire neck, as well as your face up to the eyes.
If you have more fair skin and will be relying on your fishing face mask to provide more protection from the sun, it’s a good idea to go with a mask that will provide you with plenty of coverage and protection. Having the option to lower the mask when you don’t necessarily need to guard against sunlight is another key advantage that will play a bigger role in the overall comfort and fit of the mask.
One of the most important aspects you’ll want to keep in mind regarding your mask is whether or not it has a comfortable fit. Many brands will commonly advertise their masks as having an aesthetically-pleasing design or pattern, but serious anglers are more concerned with how a mask fits and feels instead of how it might look on their face.
You’ll want to have a good understanding of how much air you can breathe through the mask’s fiber material. Many times, if a mask doesn’t allow air to pass through the material, it will be evident in the product reviews posted online.
Be sure that the mask won’t be overly bulky or long. You don’t want to have a mask that feels heavy or loose-fitting on your face throughout the whole time you’re on the water. If your mask is comfortable and capable of protecting you from the sun’s dangerous UV rays, then you can rest assured that it will probably be a great choice for you to wear on your fishing adventures.
Design and Pattern
One of the most common concerns about fishing face masks among novice anglers is how they look or the distinctive pattern the brand has made them with. There are some brands that offer a wider variety of designs and visual patterns that your mask can be made with, but most anglers are more concerned with how well the mask will protect them from any possible sun damage.
You might spend a bit more to get a mask that features a special design on it, but it’s important that you’re satisfied with the way your mask looks, fits, and feels on your face.
Keeping Your Fishing Face Mask Clean
If you’re vaguely familiar with wearing a fishing face mask, you probably are already aware that you’ll likely have to wash it regularly as it will collect quite a bit of sweat and odor from being worn in the heat and the sun. Keeping your mask clean is important to expanding its life as long as possible so that you get as many years as you can from the product.
Here are the most common methods used for washing a fishing face mask.
Most anglers choose to simply hand wash their fishing face mask after they are done fishing. This is a quick and easy way to cleanse it of any sweat, sunscreen, or other material that might have collected in its fibers during the course of your trip.
If you do this, you’ll want to use lukewarm water that isn’t too hot, as well as a mild detergent that will easily wash out of the fabric. After you’ve made sure that you rinsed the mask of all the detergent and everything else, simply hang it up in a spot and allow it to fully dry.
It can be acceptable to simply use machine washing with your fishing face mask. Most anglers will use this method to keep their mask clean as you can simply throw the mask in with the rest of your laundry and it will be cleaned and ready-to-use in a short amount of time.
If you do this, it’s best to use one of the lower settings on your washing machine as this won’t damage the fabric or cause it to stretch. Be sure that you do not put the mask in the dryer with the rest of your clothing as most fishing face masks are not designed to withstand being tossed around in very high heat for any amount of time. It’s best to just leave the mask out to dry in a spot where the sun will shine on it.
Best 10 Fishing Face Masks
1. Aqua Design Fishing Hunting Masks Neck Gaiters
- SELECT YOUR PERFECT FIT: 6 solar protective cloth tube facecover measurements to choose from - sizes Teen to Adult XL available in 8 colors; Don't be restricted by a one-size-fits-all choice; Select...
- IDEAL FOR SINGLE OR DUAL LAYER WEAR: Due to the extra-long length, double up the mask for extra dust, pollen, and debris filtration; Use this gaiter as a stand-alone mask or order one size larger to...
- STAY PROTECTED FROM THE HARSH ELEMENTS: This mens facemask is a UV blocking and wind-protected barrier while riding motorcycle, boating, kayaking, windsurfing, cycling, running, or engaging in outdoor...
Aqua Design has emerged in recent years as one of the most popular brands when it comes to fishing face masks. The company is known to produce quality masks that will keep your face cool, as well as protected from the sun’s UV rays. The Aqua Design Fishing Hunting Masks Neck Gaiters is our No. 1 choice for the best fishing face masks at this time and there are plenty of reasons why so many anglers prefer this brand.
This design is considered to be the typical neck gaiter that can easily be pulled up over the face to protect everything except your eyes in most cases. Users can even pull the mask up over their ears, which is another very common place for sunburn among anyone with fair skin. This mask comes with a UPF rating of 50+ and is made of a blend of polyester and spandex material.
Aqua Design makes these neck gaiters in a variety of sizes and color patterns that allow you to choose between a more natural color pattern or one that will give you more camouflage. This mask is ideal for being worn in other activities besides fishing as it can function as a covering for your mouth and nose from harmful allergens or dust. It’s not uncommon to see these Aqua Design masks being worn by bicyclists, motorcyclists, or people using a lawn mower.
2. S A UV Face Shields
- MULTIPLE PATTERNS AND MULTIFUNCTION: 12 plus different ways to wear for your adventures, daily life, or daily commute in windy, snowy or sunny conditions. Could be worn as a FACE SHIELD, WRISTBAND,...
- UPF 40 AND DUST PROOF: Our face shield provides sun protection and wicks away moisture faster to keep you dry, look awesome outdoors. Our face shields add an extra layer of warmth for your head, hand...
- DURABLE AND COOL DESIGN: Look awesome and stay protected during fishing, running, cycling, motorcycle, yoga, hiking, walking, or hunting. Makes a great accessory for Halloween, 4th of July, Memorial...
The next listing among our options for the best fishing face masks is the S A UV Face Shields. This is another very popular type of mask that we could easily put in our No. 1 spot. Many users consider these masks to be the best fishing masks on the market today and there’s no denying that they offer an outstanding fit and feel, as well as a variety of different options.
One of the most obvious things that stands out about the SA UV Face Shields is their distinctive color patterns that are ideal for anyone seeking the most stylish fishing face mask they can find in today’s market. They’re made of polyester material that is very tough and won’t easily stretch or tear.
These masks have the capability to lock out dust, as well as block the sun’s rays as they are SPF rated at 40+. These Face Shields are lightweight and capable of covering your whole head and neck if you so choose.
3. NEXTOUR Headwear Sport Scarf 12 In 1 Sweatband For Fishing
Our next option on the list of the best fishing face masks is yet another one that makes a strong case for being the best overall. The NEXTOUR Headwear Sport Scarf 12 In 1 Sweatband For Fishing is a mask that many anglers will likely prefer over all others due to the outstanding quality, fit and feel, as well as the budget-friendly price.
This brand offers perhaps the most diverse amount of style options of any company that produces fishing face masks. You’ll be able to choose between various styles that include tie-dyed masks, camouflage, and even floral designs that will allow you to select the one that’s just right for your own personal style.
The mask gets its 12 in 1 name from the face that the brand states you can use it for 12 different purposes. These masks are made of very soft, lightweight material that feels very comfortable compared to some others that are priced at a similar rate. They are dust-proof and UPF 50+ rated to ensure that you get plenty of protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays.
4. Coolibar UPF 50+ Layered Mask
- UPF 50+ - blocks 98% of UV radiation
- UCmax™ fabric: A blend of breathable micro mesh and 4-way stretch fabric engineered with our Cooltect™ technology to keep your skin cool, dry and works smart to block UVA/UVB radiation while...
- Provides face, neck coverage and curved at sides for added shoulder coverage; Two snaps at back neck for adjustability, adjustable straps on ears can also be looped onto sunglasses and elastic at...
Our next listing is one that’s a bit more expensive than most others, but is well-worth the investment for anyone who wants to have a superior product that will last many years. The Coolibar UPF 50+ Layered Mask features a very unique overall design that comes with the ability to block out sunlight and dangerous rays thanks to its UPF 50+ rating.
These masks are made with a specialized polyester and spandex blend that makes them stretchy and comfortable to wear for many hours on end. Many users opt for this mask style as it allows you to breathe fresh air thanks to the break in the fabric between your chin and neck. This small gap might also present the possibility that you’ll get a small amount of sunlight reflecting off the water at you, but overall, it’s capable of keeping you well-protected.
This is the ideal option for anyone who doesn’t like having an overly tight-fitting mask on for many hours at a time while they’re fishing.
5. Pamase American Flag Set Of 3
- High Quality: our mask are made of moisture-wicking polyester microfiber fabric, which is not only breathable, lightweight and feel comfortable.
- Wide Application: our headwear masks are ideal for various types of outdoor activities such us skiing, snowboarding, hiking, motorcycle riding, snowmobile riding, and much much more you want.
- Perfect Size: American Flag Outdoor Mask 19 inch long 9.5 inch wide, which is suitable for most people to wear.
It’s difficult to find a mask that delivers everything you want for under $10, but the Pamase American Flag Set Of 3 goes above and beyond that. This option comes in a pack of 3 masks, which offer much of the same ideal fit and sun protection that most anglers are looking for.
Pamase has designed these masks to be worn at virtually any time of the year and they can be used for anything from a face mask for fishing to a helmet guard for riding your motorcycle. The brand offers some very attractive design print options for these masks that let you select the ones that are just right for your own personal style.
The fiber material on these masks allow them to give you plenty of breathability, as well as offering a great lightweight feel that won’t feel like you’re too restricted by the mask. If you want to take the mask off and let your skin get a little sun, the mask will easily fit on your arm like a wristband.
6. EXIO Winter Neck Warmer Gaiter/Balaclava
- Neck warmer(scarf) for Winter (size : free) – 53% Nylon, 39% Polyester, 8% Spandex.
- Our special function(Air hole) - It makes you breath easier, Even when you wear glasees, the lens and eyes do not take up moisture.
- Seamless Design to make more comfortable than others. We make sure you'll be more comfortable.
It’s often just as important to protect the skin on your face and neck in the winter as it is in the summer months. Winter fishing can present your skin with greater possibility of being wind burned than any other time of the year. The EXIO Winter Neck Warmer Gaiter/Balaclava is a fishing face mask that’s specially designed to give you the protection you need during the winter.
Keep in mind that this particular mask is made with a more thick material, so it’s not going to be very comfortable to wear in very hot or humid weather. The mask’s unique blend of polyester, nylon and spandex gives it a bit more layers than other masks that are mainly geared toward blocking out sunlight and letting your skin remain cool underneath.
The mouth area features a special breathable section that makes it easier for you to breathe fresh air. This thick mask is very comfortable and will keep you protected when fishing in cold weather environments.
7. MoKo Fishing Mask With Hat
- 5 in 1 safety helmet comes with helmet, adjustable/removable earmuffs, plastic visor, and mesh visor, providing dynamic protection for any job
- Provides the protection you need when using chainsaws, brush cutters, and trimmers, ideal for forestry type work
- Secures firmly on head and convenient dial knob makes it easy to adjust the circumference 20 - 24.5 inches (52-62 centimeters)
Sometimes it’s important for anglers to wear as much protection as they can on the water. For anyone who has fair skin, they are well-aware of the damage the sun can cause to their skin. The MoKo Fishing Mask With Hat is a fishing face mask and hat combo that is designed to give you plenty of protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays.
The fabric that the mask and hat are made out of is capable of providing up to UPF 50+ protection from sunlight. This hat is especially lightweight and the fabric allows for quick-drying capability which makes it ideal for wearing in those hot, humid days when you’re probably going to sweat a bit.
There are breathable mesh sections on the mouth covering, as well as the sides of the hat where heat is most likely to escape from your head and keep you cool when the weather outside is hot. This option provides 360 degree coverage and is available for a surprisingly affordable price compared to other types of masks.
8. Achiou Neck Gaiter Face Mask
- COMFORTABLE FABRIC – You are the special one when wearing Achiou neck gaiter. 4-way stretch fabric is very soft and close to your skin. Protect from dust, sand, wind, UV-Light etc
- UNIQUE DESIGN – It's very soft and close to your skin. UV face mask can quickly take away the sweat on your face and evaporate in a short period of time, which can keep your face dry and cool....
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL – Achiou neck gaiter is made from elastic soft and breathable fabric material, makes you feel comfortable and easy to breathe fresh air in hot summer, also can keep warm in...
Sometimes, anglers will be more interested in a budget-friendly option that won’t require them to spend much extra money. If you’re looking for a simple and straightforward fishing face mask option, then the Achiou Neck Gaiter Face Mask is likely to be the best choice.
This mask comes in about two dozen different color options and patterns, which lets you select the one that’s just right for what you’re looking for. These masks are made of a distinct blend of material that includes Chinlon, spandex, and nylon. The soft, stretchy fabric is capable of wicking away moisture in the same way the more expensive, premium options are designed to.
This material is both soft and breathable and offers outstanding protection from the sun’s rays. The Achiou Neck Gaiters are ideal for wearing on the water, as well as just about anywhere else you need to have a mask.
9. Fishmasks Single Layer Neck Gaiter
- LIGHTWEIGHT SUMMER PROTECTION - Keep out sun, wind, surf and moisture with the lightweight, mesh-inspired Fishmasks Single Layer Neck Gaiter. Made for men or women - anglers of any and every...
- UPF 50+ FABRIC - With sun beaming down from overhead, and bouncing up from the surface of the water, Fishmasks Single Layer Neck Gaiter is made of UPF 50+ fabric to help shield your face and neck from...
- MOISTURE-WICKING - A day out fishing should be a good day. Or at least a comfortable one. Fishmasks Single Layer Neck Gaiter for men or women has lightweight, moisture-wicking fabric ideal for summer...
Another great option among our list of the best fishing face masks includes the Fishmasks Single Layer Neck Gaiter. This product is specially designed to be worn for fishing as it contains the right types of fabric blended together that gives you plenty of moisture-wicking ability, as well as managing to protect you from the sun’s dangerous rays.
This blend of polyester and spandex material is both very lightweight and soft, allowing you to remain cool and comfortable on the water no matter how hot it gets. It features a UPF rating of 50+ and is designed to block out 99.9 percent of the sun’s harmful UV rays from reaching your skin.
The fabric features a number of tiny holes that help to give this mask an extra amount of breathability compared to other masks that are made with similar fabric blends. The fabric is also capable of cutting down on odors that might collect in the mask, leaving you to breathe easy while you’re on the water.
10. Mossy Oak Elements Fishing Mask With Breathable Mesh & UPF Protection
- DESIGN: This fishing neck gaiter is made from 88% polyester/12% elastase blended polyester & mesh material all powered by Hydroplex Technology. Hydroplex is a mechanically engineered, chemical-free...
- UPF PROTECTION & BREATHABILITY: Main body overall fabric provides 50+ UPF sun protection & mesh front provides 20+ UPF protection. The mesh fabric around surrounding the nose and mouth provides...
- COMFORT & FIT: Advanced moisture wicking technology that's extremely breathable and offers up to a 30% reduction in body surface temperature. Ultralight stretch fabric for a comfortable fit that stays...
Mossy Oak is a brand that’s typically associated with quality outdoor gear and clothing. The company began as a hunting brand that mostly produced camo clothing, but has since grown to produce various types of gear that are perfect for fishing as well. The Mossy Oak Elements Fishing Mask With Breathable Mesh & UPF Protection is a solid addition to our list of the best 10 fishing face masks as this one features just about everything you need.
This mask is made with a special polyester and mesh fabric that keeps your skin well-protected from the sun while also allowing you to breathe without being impeded by your mask. The neck portion delivers UPF 50+ protection while the mesh fabric around the face gives you up to 20+ UPF.
This unique combination of soft and thin fabric allows you to feel much cooler under the mask than most other brands that seem to be a bit too thick to wear during very warm weather. These masks feature advanced moisture-wicking technology that ensures you won’t feel clammy underneath the mask. Mossy Oak produces these fishing face masks in a variety of about 15 different color pattern options.
Last update on 2021-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API