Best 10 Fishing Gaffs to Lose Less Fish
The use of fishing gaff began a long time ago and is still being used today in the industry. Archaeologists have been collecting and keeping different types of gaffs which are dated up to 16th century used by various native tribes worldwide.
Much has not been done on improvement of gaffs since the initial designs are still versatile and applicable by angler’s today. The only significant changes made is on the material used to make the gaffs as a result of evolution in ergonomics.
For this reason, fishing gaffs produced today are light, easy to use and very strong. For beginners, it is recommended to go for those old versions of gaffs as you scale up to the latest versions.
The article below gives an insightful fishing gaff buying guide.
Table of Contents
- 1 Types of fishing gaffs
- 2 Features of Fishing Gaffs
- 3 Designs of Fishing Gaffs
- 4 Price of Fishing Gaffs
- 5 Best 10 Fishing Gaffs [This Month]
Types of fishing gaffs
On a closer look, all fishing gaffs have a look similar, but there is a different ion in the type. The two types are flying and fixed fishing gaffs.
Flying fishing gaff
These types are usually designed to have a head that moves away from the pole once it is embedded on to a fish. On the rod is a rope which is 25 feet for as recommended by the regulatory body. These gaffs are used for fishing large species of fish, and you can use two or more gaffs to handle the weight of the fish properly. When retrieving a team effort is required due to the massive catch. As a beginner, you are advised to properly train on using this gaff before the actual fishing session.
The fixed fishing gaff
The head of these gaffs are not moveable; they are permanently fixed on the pole. Fixed fishing gaffs are the best for beginners due to their ease of usage. Moreover, small fishing gaffs are good to use when you are on a small boat and intend to capture the small fish species.
The Handle: Fishing gaffs handles have been manufactured with three different material; carbon Fibre, aluminum and fiberglass
Fiberglass: Compared to aluminum, fiberglass fishing gaffs are lighter, more rigid, and stronger. However, they are quite expensive and can shatter when carrying a heavy load.
Carbon Fibre: Compared to aluminum and fiberglass, carbon fiber is thrice and twice stronger, respectively. They are the most expensive and too rigid.
Aluminum: They are the most widely preferred material due to its light, stronger and cheap features. Moreover, it can bend on carrying a heavy load; thus, it cannot shutter quickly.
The Hook: On the look at two key things materials, are and the size.
The size of the fishing gaff is a myth doing round states that if you are targeting a large catch, you should use a big hook size. This is pure lies since the ultimate decision lies with personal preference. Two gaffs with different heads will give different results. Those with a large diameter tend to produce more resistance to straightening though when placed of the quality scale it may pose as a problem.
Materials: The heads of gaffs are usually made of stainless steel due to how strong they are and resistant to environmental conditions such as rust. When you are shopping, look for a gaff written 316 stainless which means it contains molybdenum material making the gaff extremely resistant to corrosion. Those noted 304 stainless are made using chromium and nickel. These are more prevalent to corrosion.
Features of Fishing Gaffs
When looking at the features, the key considerations are the buoyancy, grip, and cover.
This will be determined by the material used to make the handle. Handles made up of carbon fiber have the best floatation capacity compared to those made of aluminum and fiberglass. The other factor that affects buoyancy is the portion of the handle above the water. To improve the floatation capacity, consider adding a piece of a pool noodle.
The best cover for a fishing gaff is those made of stainless steel. Research has shown that they are protective and resistant to rust. Moreover, your safety is paramount hence go for a fishing gaff that has a cover at the tip.
Always go for fishing gaff whose poles are made of rubber. Alternatively, due to the increased cost attached to rubber, look for a gaff wrapped in ethylene-vinyl acetate which when touched feel similar to rubber. These materials aid you in holding you gaff firmly during your fishing mission.
Designs of Fishing Gaffs
The three designs of fishing gaffs include
Harpoon designed gaffs
Offshore anglers frequently use them, and they are essential to subdue the fish.
The Australian designed squared gaff
They are essential in keeping the fish hooked up since they make the fish sit in the gap; thus, your catch cannot fall.
8- and 12-foot gaffs
These are mostly used by tournament competing fishers who are eyeing hefty prizes upon winning the competition. The extra length is vital since it enables anglers to reach deeply for fish and get fantastic results.
Price of Fishing Gaffs
Pricing can impede you from getting the best fishing gaff however have a budget and use the seedling below to determine which best fits you.
Fishing gaffs that are considered the cheapest are below $10. Keep in mind cheap is costly; hence the more affordable, the lesser the quality. Good fishing gaffs with better quality in this category range between $14 to $21.
The price range on this scale is from $24 to $60. If you are looking for toughness and size go for gaffs costing above $80. Furthermore, the price may rise depending on the material of the pole.
Carbon fiber pole retail for more than $280.
The type of fishing gaff you decide to purchase will determinantal here. Due to the immense size and toughness of the flying gaff, they are usually sold independently to the hook.
Do not get surprised when you see a tag for theses sophisticated instruments retailing at over $ 300 and going for the top renewed brands prices is inclusive of the rope and can retail up to $500.
Do your due diligence on the fishing gaff while seeking an expert opinion from an experienced angler. Fishing can be exciting if you have the correct fishing gaff.
Best 10 Fishing Gaffs [This Month]
- Design: Telescopic fishing gaff is retractable design, convenient to carry.
- Material: Made of the stainless steel hook,high-density EVA Telescope handle to increase friction,and the Aluminium Alloy Pole.
- Suitable: For all kinds of heavy weight fishing activities,The Gaff hook is lightweight but strong enough to deal with those big fish.
- The stainless steel hook is very sharp, light weight but high strength, enough to catch many big fish.
- The aluminum alloy shaft can be expanded and contracted arbitrarily, durable and lightweight, three-stage telescopic design, convenient storage, suitable for use in any fishing boat.
- The specially designed lanyard can protect the fishing equipment from accidentally falling into the water and is also convenient to carry.
- 24 inches long
- Stainless steel gaff
- Heavy-duty aluminum pole
- Fiberglass gaff, thick-walled, Super strong
- Wedge lock Assembly process to secure hooks into the E-Glass handles
- Hand-wrapped black and metallic gold-and-blue thread trim wraps
- TELESCOPING POLE：Foldable length:29.13.Expand length:78.74inch.Retractable design with 3 segment,it's convenient to carry.Can float on water when it stretches out.
- STRONG ALUMINUM：Our fishing gaff has an aluminum body that gives this fishing gaff a light and sturdy feel in your hand,corrosion-resistant.
- NON-SLIP EVA HANDLE : Safety lanyard,foaming handle provide a comfortable control,whatever your hands are sweating or not.The lanyard can Prevent the hook fish from falling off, and freely hang it on...
- Package length: 6.35 cm
- Package width: 6.858 cm
- Package height: 121.92 cm
- Length=30" ~ 46"
- Stainless Steel Hook=6"x 3.5"
- Hook Thickness= 5/16"
- Country Of Origin: China
- Item Package Dimensions: 7.62 L X 15.24 W X 63.5 H (Cm)
- Item Package Weight: 0.318 kgs
- LIGHTWEIGHT CONSTRUCTION - Our Gaff for fishing has an aluminum body that gives this fishing gaff a light and sturdy feel in your hand
- SMART DESIGN - A 3-D/2” conically sharpened round-bend fishing gaff hook with custom profile on the end of a slim handle is designed for minimal water resistance and optimal tensile strength when...
- MID SHAFT ERGONOMIC GRIP - Formed grip mid shaft makes for easier gaff handling and when combined with the end of shaft grip you'll be able to bring in even the biggest of catches with this fishing...
- DIMENSIONS: 3' Overall Length; 3" Hook Length
- RELIABLE: Patented Bubba Blade Non-Slip Grip handle ensure the gaff stay firmly anchored in your hand even when wet
- DURABLE: 17-PH, High-Strength Stainless Steel Construction with Carbon Fiber Handle for reliable lightweight usability - built for ultimate control, strength and durability
Now that you have selected your fishing gaff you may want to read some tips on the best way to use them.
Last update on 2021-03-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API