Best 10 Fishing Hats + Buying Guide [2020 Update]
Fishing is the best way of connecting with nature. That time that you will spend trying to catch fish will give you an escape from the harsh reality of life.
However, you need to be aware of your safety and comfort to have the best fishing experience. The important thing that you will need to do is to purchase the ideal fishing hat.
Here is your complete fishing hat buyer’s guide.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why You Need a Fishing Hat
- 2 Fishing in the Sun
- 3 Fishing in the Rain
- 4 Choosing the Best Color for a Fishing Hat
- 5 Keeping Cool While Fishing
- 6 Fishing Hats to Keep You Warm
- 7 Fishing Hats for Bug Protection
- 8 Looking at Different Types of Fishing Hats
- 9 Best 10 Fishing Hats [This Month]
- 10 Conclusion
Why You Need a Fishing Hat
- You will expose yourself to the elements when you go fishing. Although you can chart the weather, it is always wise to carry a fishing hat with you. A good fishing hat while keeping you warm during the cold while protecting your from UV rays when it gets too hot.
- Another great use of a fishing hat during your fishing trip is to complement your look. Looking good is always essential even if you are going out on an adventure. A great look will allow you to enjoy the fishing trip more, especially if you have company.
- Fishing hats will also provide you with additional storage space. You can use the additional storage space to store your hooks, flies, licenses, and paperwork. All that you will need to do is to look for fishing hats that include pockets.
Fishing in the Sun
The first thing that you need to take seriously as an angler is protection from the sun. You would not want to ruin your fishing trip just because you do not have a fishing hat to protect you from the sun. When looking for a hat that will be handy in the sun, you will need to look at the following elements.
- Fishing hats with the right color weight stretch and fabric weave offer more protection from the sun than other options.
- You should also factor in the ultraviolet protection factor when looking for a fishing hat that will protect you from the sun. A fishing hat that has a UFP rating of 15-25 is good enough. However, the best option for you is a fishing hat with a UFP rating of 40-50 and higher.
- Another element that plays a huge role is coverage. The idea is to purchase a fishing hat that will cover as much skin as possible. A wider brim covering the back of your neck and ears offers more protection than a narrow brim.
- It is better to look for a fishing hat that allows adequate air circulation to cushion your head from overheating and sweating.
Fishing in the Rain
As a dedicated angler, you should not let sudden weather changes to deter you. Therefore, you need to purchase a fishing hat that will allow you to catch the biggest fish, even in the rain. When looking for the best fishing hat during the rain, you should be mindful of the following.
- Wearing a rain jacket is always a good idea. However, the rain jacket will not cover your head adequately. Thus, you need to purchase a water-resistant fishing hat to keep your head dry.
- The ideal fishing hat should not limit your visibility. Therefore, make sure you have a snug fit.
- Purchasing a fishing hat with a chinstrap is wise since it will protect the hat from being blown away.
Choosing the Best Color for a Fishing Hat
When it comes to the color of fishing hats, it is essential to think about your preferences and functionality. Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing the color of a fishing hat.
- To begin with, go with a neutral color since it will blend seamlessly with any outfit.
- Earth tone colors are the best bet for you when wading and bank fishing. Trout can spot lively colors like red, yellow, and pink from 12 feet away.
- A fishing hat with a darker under brim will improve the visibility of the water.
Keeping Cool While Fishing
You will need to keep cool during the hot days. The best way of doing that is by purchasing a fishing hat that will allow you to do that. The ideal fishing hat to keep you cool should have the following features.
- Look for a hat that has a wide brim to keep cool during the hot days. A fishing hat with a wide brim will also protect your ears and neck from sunburns.
- Fishing hats that retain water will also come in handy during the hot days.
- Remember to purchase a fishing hat with a UFP rating of more than 50 to protect yourself from ultraviolet radiation.
- Look for a fishing hat that has adequate ventilation.
Fishing Hats to Keep You Warm
Apart from keeping anglers safe from dangerous ultraviolet radiations, a good fishing hat should also be handy during the cold. Look for the following properties while looking for a fishing hat that will keep you warm during the cold.
- Purchase a fishing hat that has two layers to protect you from the cold and the humidity.
- Look for a fishing hat that will allow your skin to breathe.
- The ideal fishing hat for the cold should have a protective neck cape and earflaps to keep you warm.
Fishing Hats for Bug Protection
Insects surround most water. Therefore, you need to protect yourself from the bugs. Although a bug spray will get the job done, it is better to purchase a fishing hat to protect you from the bugs.
Looking at Different Types of Fishing Hats
While evaluating different, you will realize that there are a variety of options to choose from. Fishing hats differ due to the coverage and protection each hat offers. Learn more about different types of fishing hats here.
The Bucket Hat
Bucket hats are the go-to option for several anglers since they offer better sun protection. The brim of these hats is decent enough to protect anglers from UV radiations without hindering vision. However, these types of hats have a bland look.
Wide Brim Fishing Hats
These types of fishing hats have wide brims. Wide brim fishing hats have a sun protection factor of 5. The only downside of these kinds of fishing hats is that the wide brim flaps in moderate winds.
Baseball-Style Fishing Hats
Although baseball-style fishing hats offer protection for the top of the head, they leave the other parts of the face exposed.
Safari Fishing Cap
Safari fishing caps offer reliable protection from the sun and keep the head ventilated. They are also lightweight and quick to dry.
Best 10 Fishing Hats [This Month]
- Columbia Unisex Pfg Mesh Snap Back Fish Flag Ball Cap, Cool Grey/White/Vivid Blue, One Size
- Cool Grey/White/Vivid Blue
- Rapid-dry interlock jersey knit wicks away moisture to keep you cool and dry
- Contemporary fit
- 50+ UPF rating provides excellent protection against harmful UV rays
- OMNI-SHADE: Be safe and protected. Omni-Shade blocks UVA and UVB rays to help prevent sunburns and long-term skin damage. The tight weave construction with UV absorbent yarns block the full spectrum...
- OMNI-WICK: The ultimate moisture management technology for the outdoors. Omni-Wick quickly moves moisture from the skin into the fabric where it spreads across the surface to quickly...
- COLLEGE STYLE, SUN-DAY WEAR: This hat is an essential for any outdoor collegiate event, with its wide, protective brim providing all day sun protection
- KEY FEATURES – UPF 50 Sun protection– Mesh venting promotes air flow – Moisture wicking head band - Adjustable draw cord for optimal fit – Adjustable chin strap – Fashionable Prym1 colors
- UPF 50 PROTECTION– The KastKing Sol Armis Boonie sun hat for men and women is rated UPF 50 to ensure you are protected from the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays. Wear this UV Sun Protection hat as a...
- COOL and COMFORTABLE– Light-weight breathable material and vented mesh sides help boost air flow and make sure you are cool and dry on hot sunny days. We have also incorporated a moisture wicking...
- The full, wide brim keeps the sun from all parts of your face and ears
- Generous neck protection: Hook-and-loop detachable neck flap that can be stored in the small mesh pocket under the back brim
- Mesh on sides for improved breathability and airflow; Built-in soft moisture wicking sweatband
- 【360° UV Sun Protection】- Flap Hats Sun Cap UPF 50+ sun protection.It can protect face from dust and the harmful rays of the sun when you were outdoors.
- 【 Lightweight & Quick Dry 】- Breathable material for all-day wear, especially during warm months, quick drying fabric 100% Polyester is great for all types of outdoor activities, Even if the hat...
- 【Removable 】- The whole surrounded by a large shawl, free removal, in addition to a removable neck flap and breathable face protector, it protects skin from the elements and the mask can protect...
- UPF 50+ excellent sun protection hat, Anti-UV and vented,Adjustable drawstring for fixing the hat, especially in windy days
- Adjustable size fits 22"-23.7"(56-61CM) head girth with adjustable velcro and chin strap
- Breathable mesh vent keep you cool and comfortable
- CLASSIC COMFORT: Columbia's Unisex Mesh Tree Ball Cap features a classic fit that provides comfort for long fishing days to casual wear.
- STYLISH DETAILS: A flag patch design adds style and character to this everyday hat.
- VENTILATED BACK: A ventilated back adds breathability for comfortable wear no matter the temperature.
- Classic comfort: Columbia's Unisex Fish Ball Cap features a classic fit that provides comfort for long fishing days to casual wear.
- Stylish details: A flag patch that features an embroidered fish design adds style and character to this fishing hat.
- Ventilated back: A ventilated back adds breathability for comfortable wear no matter the temperature.
- Fishing Hat with UPF 50+ protection. Tested and proven to keep you safe from harmful UVA and UVB rays
- Designed for the outdoors: Whether you're fishing, going for an adventure walk or spending an afternoon gardening, our headwear will keep your head and face protected from the sun and heat. The...
- Reliable protection: We pride ourselves in offering high quality products you can trust for effective sun protection. If you have absolutely any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to...
That brings us to the end of this article. I’m sure you thought buying a fishing hat was a simple concept, and I hope you have gained some new insights into the decision.
If you are looking for some more information then there are other guides available online.
If you have your own thoughts to share with your readers then please leave a comment below.