5 Best Fishing Line Spoolers to Change Line Faster
I remember one fishing trip towards the end of the season when I hooked a large fish and it took off. After only a few seconds I noticed that I was really running out of line on my spool. There is only one reason for this - it is a pain to respool your line without a dedicated line spooling tool. The next day I sorted out the best line spooler that I could find.
A line spooling tool makes replacing your fishing line significantly easier and is a must for an angler who is looking to change out their line on a regular basis.
I have put together a list of the top line spoolers available on the market and an overview on the very best ones. I have also put together a guide on what to look for when making your selection. There are a number of different designs available - manual vs electric. There are also spoolers that are mounted onto a table or ones that are mounted onto your rod.
Table of Contents
- 1 Fishing Line Spooler Buyer's Guide
- 2 1. Fishcm Fishing Line Winding Spooler
- 3 2. Sportsman Innovations Fishon Spooler Pro
- 4 3. BEYOLO Portable Fishing Spooling Station
- 5 4. Quick Fishing Line Winder Spooler
- 6 5. Hunter's Tail Automatic Electric Fishing Line Winder
Quick Summary - Best Fishing Line Spooler
Fishing Line Spooler Buyer's Guide
There are so many different styles and designs for line spoolers. Some spool line off your reel and some spool line onto your reel. Some are electric while others are manual. Some require a table to mount while others are mounted directly onto your rod.
Take some time to think about your personal circumstance - where are you most likely to use your line spooler? Will you use it after the fishing trip in the comfort of your workshop or are you more likely to use it while at the river bank after a bad line break? Are you likely to change your line several times per season as you switch from freshwater to saltwater or will you did it only every few years as you run out of length?
Powered or Manual
There are some electric spoolers available which can make spooling a reel much more quickly. But it also limits the locations that you can use them as you need power access. If you are spooling a lot of lines from your workshop then electric might be the best option for you.
But if you are expecting to respool your lines on the boat or on the lake then electric might not work out.
Most line spoolers are manual and require you to wind your reel to take the line off the spare spool. This is not as painful as it sounds - just imagine winding in a very slow fish - you can always have a break if you are adding a lot of length.
Manual line spoolers are also much cheaper, some simple ones even going for under $10.
Line spoolers can be mounted on anything from a table to a boat wall, onto your fishing rod, or have the reel mount onto the spooling device itself.
Selecting the mount is based on the location you are going to use it. Personally I like spoolers that mount onto your rod, because it is the simplest option and you don't have to disassemble your reel from your rod.
The frequency and amount of line that you want to spool onto your rod will impact which model you select. If you have a large ocean rod that can fit hundreds or even a thousand yards, then you will need a line spooler that can handle a large spool so that you don't need to add a weak knot in the middle of your reel's spool.
It also depends on how many different spools you want to add. Some line spoolers allow you to fit 5 or more small spools onto it, so as you switch from reel to reel you don't need to change the spool.
Let's have a look at the top 5 line spoolers in the market at the moment:
- Easy to install and you can carry it to everywhere (whether you are in kayaks, boats, etc. ) to spool fishing line by yourself.Made of composite fiber, lighter weight, long working life.
- Adaptable to spinning reel, baitcasting reel and round trolling reel etc.The spool can be adjusted to different sizes, the maximum width can be up to 5.7in.
- Assembling with the rod clip, then you can directly spool the reel on your rod to spend less time for winding action.
The Fishcm fishing line spooler is a great entry to the world of line spoolers. It is mounted onto your existing fishing rod, so you can use it at the river bank or on the boat. The mount can be a bit flimsy so make sure you have attached it properly.
You can fit a large spool so it is suitable for larger offshore feels. It is able to be used for spinning and baitcasting reels.
This tool is also very lightweight and does not add much volume to your fishing gear collection. It is also very small in size and can be stored in your boat for easy access.
- Don't Chase the spool around your boat anymore with our Patented Portable Spooling Station
- 110v AC Powered Line Stripper and Spinning Reel Attachment - Strips old line from baitcast reels in about 1 minute. Our Spinning reel attachment eliminates line twist when spooling your spinning...
- We designed our 2 piece line stripper spool for easy recycling of your used fishing line.
The other option for a line spooler is electric. The benefits for this is how fast it works. If you are respooling lines frequently then your wrist will thank you for picking an automatic option.
The problem is that you need a power source, so you won't want to store this on your boat or at the river bank. The Sportsman Innovations spooler pro can strip a line in under 1 minute.
This spooler can also hold either a very large spool or many smaller spools to give you plenty of flexibility.
- Lightweight body design: More convenient to carry. Can be stored in your truck, tackle box and bag.
- Top screw: Tighten it to stabilize the rotor and loosen it to let the rotor spin.
- Middle knob: Adjust the middle knob according to the width of your spool to get the proper tension.
The Beyolo fishing spool station is another fantastic portable line spooler. Throw this in the bottom of your boat so that it is always available whenever you need to change lines.
The mount is very secure so that you can wind fast and get the line onto your reel very quickly.
The tension and rotor stability can also be adjusted through a series of knobs to give you more flexibility in how to use this device.
I honestly can't see anything wrong with this spooler - highly recommended!
- Piscifun is the EXCLUSIVE AUTHORIZEE to sell this patent line spooler in the U.S. market. Any spoolers without Piscifun logo on it will be illegally reproduction!
- A must have for fisherman. Clever tool for loading your reel with braid or mono, or doing simple things like tying a #6 fish hook which from experience it tangles, line slips loose, etc. No more using...
- A truly well engineered quality built product. The Line Winder works great with both wide and narrow spools. Comes with a 3/8 in. bushing, can perfectly work with string spools ( Mono / Braid Line )...
This Japanese made spooler is brilliant. It has a C clamp to be mounted onto a table (or even the side of a boat depending on your design). The ball bearing design and gear ratio lets you spool the line extremely quickly.
It can also hold multiple spools if you want to switch from one to another at any time.
This is one of the better line spoolers that I have seen on the market but is also at the higher price range. Certainly one to check out.
- The new upgrade: simple operation, one-click start, automatic thread winding, Undamaged the fishing line.
- Our unique display can show you the number of turns and let you know the approximate length of the line.
- Saving time and effort, easy to use. Quickly shut down the fishing line in just 2 seconds . The shell is made of imported engineering plastics from Japan, durable in use.
This Hunter's Tail electric fishline winder is more suited for removing line from your reel rather than spooling it on. The automatic display shows you exactly how much line you have left so that you can re-use it.
This is also made in Japan and has a durable hard case. The spool attachment can be somewhat flimsy, so please take care when using it.
This device is simple and easy but may not be robust enough to be your only option.
There are a few good fishing line spooler guides available elsewhere if you are looking for more information.
I would also be interested in hearing your experience or even if you have attempted a home made line spooler in the comments below.