Picture this: You’re fishing out at sea or in a vast, open lake. The sun is beaming down, and even though you’re wearing a long-sleeved shirt, it doesn’t seem to be providing enough protection. When you get home, your skin is red raw from the sun.
It might seem like a novelty to purchase a shirt specifically for fishing purposes, but the truth is, choosing the right kind of fishing shirt can be the difference between getting crispy sunburn or not. An appropriate fishing shirt can also protect you from getting cold when the temperature suddenly drops, plus should provide enough ventilation to prevent a build-up of moisture.
Luckily for you, I’ve got you covered. After many years of fishing experience, I’ve figured out exactly what makes a good fishing shirt and why you should add it to your list of essential fishing apparel. And for those fashionistas out there who want to impress the other anglers out there, some of these shirts can even be considered stylish. Here are the 7 best fishing shirts!
Table of Contents
- 1 7 Best Fishing Shirts
- 2 Fishing Shirt Buyer’s Guide
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
7 Best Fishing Shirts
1. Bassdash Long-Sleeve Fishing Shirt
If you’re looking for an all-rounder fishing shirt, this is the shirt for you. The Bassdash long-sleeve fishing shirt features everything you could need when fishing out in open water – whether it’s an expansive lake or the middle of the ocean. Made of 84% polyester and 16% spandex, these shirts are designed to fit snugly against the skin whilst providing enough stretch and room to allow your skin to breathe.
Speaking of breathing, this product features a mesh back and under sleeve designed to create a form of ventilation to keep you cool in the heat. This is matched with the moisture-wicking polyester fabric to prevent you from getting sticky and sweaty. On the other hand, the polyester material works to retain warmth during the cooler fishing trips.
The best thing about the Bassdash long-sleeve fishing shirt is that it comes in a wide variety of colors, from a neutral black to a less neutral bright yellow. This means that men can comfortably wear this shirt in virtually any setting – including fishing, hiking, or working in the yard.
- Well-ventilated – Mesh underparts and moisture-wicking fabric works to keep the skin dry and cool in the heat
- Good fit – Spandex material keeps the shirt close to the skin without restricting freedom of movement
- Stylish – Wide range of colors and classic long-sleeve design can be worn in any situation
- Ill-fitting neck – Some reviewers have said the neck can be oversized if a large shirt is ordered
- Long sleeve design and 50+ UPF protection keeps your skin healthy, so you can be active all day in...
- The moisture-wicking fabric manages the perspiration to keep you dry and comfortable
- The breathability enhanced with the Mesh Back / Under Sleeve keeps you cool when active in heat
2. Huk Men’s Pursuit Long-Sleeve Shirt
If quality is at the top of your priority list for a fishing shirt, check out Huk’s long-sleeve shirt. Huk is a reputable brand in the world of fishing apparel for their reliable materials, allowing for complete durability and comfort when fishing in a range of conditions. In fact, if you ever speak to an experienced fisherman about fishing apparel and clothing, they’ll probably mention Huk.
This particular product is made of a polyester blend that features special fibers and synthetic materials designed to ventilate the shirt in hot temperatures. These materials are met with mesh vented sides and an overall lightweight feel to prevent the user from sweating profusely. Not only that, but these materials also feature +30 UPF materials designed to block harmful UVA and UVB rays to protect the quality of your skin.
You know when you wear a long-sleeved shirt in summer and you start to get that pretty repugnant smell once you begin to sweat? Yeah, Huk’s shirt comes with anti-microbial treatment embedded into the materials to keep you smelling fresh as a daisy by killing smelly micro-organisms.
Plus, these shirts come in a variety of cool colors and patterns.
- Reputable brand – Huk is a trusted apparel brand in the fishing industry
- High-quality materials – Shirt is designed to keep you cool and protect your skin from harmful sun rays
- Odorless – Anti-microbial treatment works to prevent sweat-induced smells
- Price – With high-quality materials comes a higher price point
- Huk: Uniting anglers through performance-engineered, technical gear designed to fuel your passion...
- The Huk Mossy Oak Pursuit Long Sleeve Shirt is packed with Huk Performance Technology to handle the...
- SUN PROTECTION: This fishing shirt protects your skin from the sun’s harmful rays - Huk added the...
3. Palmyth Fishing Shirt
Aside from the quality of the materials, convenience is a huge factor when choosing the right fishing shirt. Palmyth understands the frustrations of finding a cheaply-made fishing shirt that provides either no maneuverability or far too much maneuverability, which is why they designed this product.
This shirt comes with sewn-in thumb loops that helps to keep the sleeves in the lengthened position, allowing for the user to focus purely on casting a rod rather than keeping their sleeves in place.
Speaking of convenience, this product comes with a hidden zipper pocket to keep hold of credit cards, a phone, or keys without the fuss of bringing a bag for personal items. It also comes with a chamois on the inside of the bottom of the shirt designed to clean glasses and sunglasses, which is ideal for solving fog and smears.
This fishing shirt is made of a 4-way stretch fabric designed to manage moisture, protect the skin from harmful UV rays, prevent odor, and protect the back of your hand from the sun’s rays with the articulated cuff.
Plus, if you’re into cool designs, these shirts come with a range of animations at the back, and they come in a variety of colors for those who don’t want a neutral look.
- Thumb-loops and cuffs – Protects your hands from getting burnt and keeps the sleeves pulled down when casting a rod
- Multipurpose material – Protects skin from harmful sun rays and minimizes odor
- Fun designs – Cool fish-related artwork at the back of shirts
- Unreliable size guide – Recommended buying a size (or two) smaller
- Hidden Zipper Pocket: Unlike most fishing shirts, Palmyth fishing shirt has a hidden convenience...
- Super Breathability: You can't fish on the water for long when you are wet and cold. To stay dry,...
- Sun Protection: MythCool 4-WAY stretch fabric protect your skin from the sun's harmful rays with UPF...
4. Cateibe Men’s Hoodie Long-Sleeve Shirt
One of the biggest downfalls of some long-sleeve fishing shirts is that while they provide enough protection to the torso and arms against harmful sun rays, the neck is often left to get burnt. Unless you have a hat with a neck protector, you’re going to need more protection. That’s where this hoodie comes in! With a built-in lightweight hood, anglers can protect the back of their neck and their scalp without having to wear a restrictive hat.
This fishing hoodie is made of 100% polyester to allow for a breathable material to keep you cool, dry, and comfortable during those hot fishing days. The sweat-absorbing fabric is met with a UPF 50+ sun protection grade to keep your skin safe from those harmful rays. As this shirt/hoodie is so lightweight, it can be worn for fishing or exercise purposes, and even underneath a sweatshirt when the temperature drops.
To go with the convenience of the neck-protecting hood, this product is also equipped with thumbholes to keep the sleeves in place so you can focus on fishing rather than adjusting your clothing.
- Built-in hood – Hood works to protect the neck and head from harmful UV rays
- Lightweight and protective – Keeps skin cool and free from moisture
- Stylish and versatile – Can be worn for fishing, hiking, running, and other exercises
- Unreliable sizing – Sizes run small, so order a size larger than usual
- [Sun protection] UPF 50+ sun protection grade provides excellent protection against harmful...
- [Moisture wicking]: Unique design, material and function will not shrink.Technical fabric absorbs...
- [Skin-friendly]: 100% polyester-soft, smooth, light, breathable, moisture wicking, quick-drying,...
5. Willit Men’s Fishing Hoodie Shirt
If you’re not convinced by the lack of design options from Cateibe’s product, you’ll be spoiled for choice with the Willit fishing hoodie. Available in a wide variety of colors (with no patterns), you can feel comfortable and stylish wearing this shirt in a range of settings, from fishing to hiking to going to the gym.
This product is another hoodie long-sleeve fishing shirt, which provides a built-in hood designed to protect the back of the neck and the scalp from the harmful UV rays. This is especially useful for bald men who find hats far too restrictive.
Made from 100% polyester, the Willit fishing hoodie is soft to the skin and lightweight to prevent moisture from building up inside, ensuring a cool and comfortable fit even during the hottest fishing days.
For added convenience, this product comes with built-in thumbholes and a cuff to keep your sleeves firmly in place and to protect the back of your hands from the sun. Plus, the seams are flattened and there is no tag in the collar to prevent uncomfortable itching and chafing.
- Lightweight material – Soft to the skin, moisture-wicking, and quick drying
- Hood and thumbholes – To protect your neck, head, hands, and keep the sleeves in place
- Range of colors – Pattern-less color options are ideal for matching with any clothing
- Sleeve length – If you have long arms, order a size up to prevent short sleeves
- KEEPS YOU COMFORTABLE AND DRY: Silky and breathable fabric wicks moisture away from your skin, to be...
- UV PROTECTION: The fabric rating UPF 50+ protects your skin from the harmful UVA/UVB rays, keeping...
- NO-CHAFE COMFORT: Flat lock seams and no tag collar minimize friction and offer great comfort....
6. Koofin Gear Fishing Shirt
Not everyone wants a fishing shirt with a hood and thumbholes. Sometimes, those designs can seem a little too restrictive if you want the freedom to roll up your sleeves and if you plan on wearing a neck-protective hat anyway. The Koofin Gear fishing shirt is about as straightforward as it gets, so if you don’t want the fuss and bother of extra conveniences, go for this shirt.
This product is a long-sleeved shirt with a slightly heightened neck piece allowing protection to the lower neck/upper back. Made of a polyester mix, this shirt features UPF 50 sun protection to keep the skin safe from the harmful rays, as well as mesh side vents to allow some ventilation to keep the body dry and cool.
The fabric itself is stretchy but comfortably snug to the skin and doesn’t feature underarm seams, which is ideal for preventing chafing from friction.
In terms of design, this shirt comes in a variety of colors and can be worn for fishing or exercising purposes. Plus, these shirts are machine washable and won’t crack or fade.
- Lightweight and stretchy material – Ideal for maneuverability and ventilation to keep the skin cool and dry
- UPF 50 sun protection – Shields skin from harmful UV rays
- Affordable – Customers have bought more than one shirt for the quality and price
- Sleeves run long – Reviewers have mentioned that the sleeves can be slightly too long
- UPF 50 Sun Protection: protects your skin from the sun's harmful rays.
- Mesh Side Vents helps disperse body heat, making the body feel cool. Moisture-wicking; breathes well...
- All-Over Dye Sublimation Print; Will Never Crack or Fade; Machine Washable.
7. EAG Elite Mossy Oak Fishing Shirt
The last product on our list is the EAG Elite fishing shirt, available in five water-inspired designs. This shirt is made of a polyester mix, combined with 10% spandex and mesh side panels to allow for a stretchable and breathable fabric during those hot fishing seasons. The lightweight material is also quick to dry, which is ideal for feeling comfortable and dry on and out of the water.
This is a long-sleeved shirt that provides UPF 50 sun protection to the upper body and arms from harmful UV rays. This is the ideal sun protection grade for both freshwater and saltwater fishing.
The sleeves themselves aren’t tight-fitting, which is great for those who don’t enjoy restrictive sleeves that cause chafing from friction. Plus, the fabric is moisture-wicking to prevent a build-up of perspiration from making the user uncomfortable.
As an added bonus, this fishing shirt is equipped with an anti-stain guard that works to keep the shirt stain-proof from working on boats and on docks.
- Lightweight and breathable – Polyester and spandex material is stretchy, quick-drying, and comfortable
- UPF 50 sun protection – Ideal for protecting skin from sun damage in both freshwater and saltwater
- Stain-proof – Anti-stain material works to maintain quality of shirt for longer
- Sizing irregularities – Shirt runs slightly small, so opt for a larger size for a looser fit
- FABRIC: 90% Polyester / 10% Spandex light weight 4-way stretch breathable fabric with mesh side...
- FEATURES: This ultra-light weight long sleeve offers the ultimate sun protection when your fishing...
- TECHNOLOGY: This light weight polyester fabric offers great breathability and feels great against...
Fishing Shirt Buyer’s Guide
What to look for in fishing shirts
With such an abundance of fishing shirts out there, it might seem like there’s a lot to consider when it comes to what features a fishing shirt requires. Here are the key things to look for in fishing shirts!
Polyester is undoubtedly the best material for a fishing shirt. If the polyester is mixed with spandex, this is even better, because spandex provides even more stretch. These materials are lightweight, quick-drying, and breathable.
Speaking of breathability, always opt for a shirt with mesh insides. These are usually located at the sides of the shirt. The mesh provides even more ventilation to allow moisture from sweat to be released, thus allowing you to feel dry, cool, and comfortable.
If you don’t like the fit of a fishing shirt, then it’s not worth it. This all comes down to personal preference, as some will prefer a tighter shirt fit than others. I recommend looking at the size guide and recommendations of sizing from previous customers, as you might find that most fishing shirts have unreliable size guides.
It’s also worth noting that most clothing will inevitably shrink after a certain amount of washes and exposure to the sun, so it might be worth getting a larger size for the longevity of the shirt.
It’s no secret that being out on the water means that you’re going to get sunburned. Of course, you should always wear sunscreen, but wearing a fishing shirt with built-in UPF and SPF sun protection provides another barrier against the harmful rays. The ideal UPF and SPF sun protection grade should be between 30 and 50.
There are several optional additional features in some fishing shirts that must be considered. Again, this all comes down to personal preference!
- Built-in thumbholes keep the sleeves firmly in place so you can focus on casting a rod without having to adjust your clothing
- A built-in hood provides protection from the sun to the back of the neck and head
- Zipper pockets are useful for keeping personal items close to you at all times
- If you’re bothered by chafing from friction, opt for a shirt with no seams or annoying labels that can irritate the skin
Frequently Asked Questions
Are fishing shirts good for hot weather?
Fishing shirts are usually made of lightweight materials with the aim of keeping the skin cool. Anglers are far more likely to get damaged from the sun with exposure to water (particularly saltwater), which is why it’s essential to wear a long-sleeve fishing shirt to provide some protection from the harmful UV rays.
Fishing shirts also generally come equipped with mesh sides to provide ventilation for perspiration, allowing for a quick-drying and breathable material that works well in hot weather.
Are fishing shirts meant to be tight?
There are two fits to a fishing shirt – tight or loose. It doesn’t matter which fit you opt for, because it all comes down to personal preference. Some anglers find that tight-fitting shirts are too restrictive, while others find loose-fitting shirts require constant adjusting with the sleeves.
As long as the fishing shirt isn’t so tight that you don’t have complete freedom of movement, it doesn’t matter how the shirt fits!
Can you swim in fishing shirts?
Yes! Fishing shirts are made of a lightweight material that won’t get weighed down in water, unlike regular long-sleeve shirts. These shirts are also quick to dry when out of the water.
This is why fishing shirts are worn during watersport activities (such as kayaking) as well as fishing. However, it’s important to remember that fishing shirts aren’t waterproof in the same way as wetsuits, so they won’t provide much warmth when swimming in colder waters.
Last update on 2022-01-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API