Best 10 Ice Fishing Lures [Updated 2020]
Planning to go for ice fishing and don’t know how to select the right fishing lures? You’re in the right place.
Ice fishing offers the most satisfying fishing experience as compared to the other types. The extremely cold temperature and the hunt for the right spot present many challenges that make your fishing adventure very fun and interesting. But without the right tools and gears, you ice fishing can turn into a distasteful experience. Hence, it is very important to have the right set of fishing gears.
Talking about the important gears, ice fishing lures secures the top position in the list. The right lure will decide what kind of catch you can make easily. It will help you to attract the desired type of fish in a particular location and under specific climatic conditions.
We understand that finding the right ice fishing lures can be a bit tricky after looking at tons of varieties available in the market. Having that in mind, here we are sharing all the information you need to buy the right fishing lures. But before that, let’s find out the reason why you need special lures for ice fishing!
Table of Contents
Why Should You Use Special Lures For Ice Fishing?
This is the most common question asked by a majority of fishing enthusiasts. What makes an ice fishing lure different from the regular ones and why you should use them for ice fishing?
Visibility is the answer. When you’re ice fishing, visibility from the water is very important to catch the fish. In simple words, your lures should look more realistic in order to attract the desired fish.
These lures also have the ability to work under different climatic conditions. Ice fishing is slightly different from any other type of fishing. So, to increase your chances of making a catch, you should make sure that you’re using the right lure according to your environment. And this is where ice fishing lures play an important role.
Ice Fishing Lures Guide
Now that you’ve learnt why is it important to use special ice fishing lures, it is the right time to look at the list of factors to consider while buying the right products.
Type of Material
The first and foremost thing to look at while buying the best ice fishing lures is the material from which they’re made. Generally, ABS is considered as the best material for all kinds of lures. There are certain other materials also but a majority of fishers prefer their lures to be made from high-grade ABS plastic. A good quality lure will make sure that it performs better under different conditions without wearing quickly. In simple words, good material quality will make sure your lures last for a long time.
Also, prefer buying non-toxic and environment-friendly fishing lures.
Ease of Use
No matter how expensive fishing lure you purchase, if you don’t know how to use it, it is not going to be any useful. So, prefer buying the lures with a clean and simple design instead of the ones with complicated designs. Even if you’re an experienced Fisher, easy to use lures will save a lot of effort and time.
Just like any other product, ice fishing lures also needs to be sturdy and durable. Obviously, you don’t want to invest in lures that breaks off right after a single-use. So, look for the lures that are sturdy and durable. They shouldn’t break easily and should be corrosion and rust-resistant.
Style and Design
Fishing lures should have good prints, designs and finishing. If the lures are cheap, you’ll not find these qualities as they don’t come with high-quality fishing. So, avoid buying cheap lures just to save a few bucks. Instead, invest in a good quality ice fishing lures that have nice prints, patterns and style.
Type Of Fish
When you’re ice fishing, you’ll be targeting a few specific types of fish as there will not be a huge variety of species to catch. Only a few fishes spend their time under the ice. As a general fact, walleye is the most common fish during ice fishing. Hence, you should get lures that are suitable for targeting walleyes. This is a fast fighter fish that moves very fast. If you don’t use the right lure, it will just eat the bait and swim away. On the positive side, catching walleye can be rewarding and they move in groups, so you’ll be able to target enough fishes at a single time.
Sauger is another fish that can be found under the beds of ice. This fish is very similar to walleye and found under similar areas. Good thing is, you’ll be able to catch both common types of fish using the same lures.
Color Of Fishing Lures
Most of the people ignore the fact that choosing the right color for fishing lures is very important when it comes to selecting the right ones. But that’s a very wrong practice. No matter how good quality and expensive fishing lures you get, if they’re not of appropriate colors, they will not perform well. Colors play a very important role in ice fishing.
Water color is the safest option to go buy if you have no idea what colors to use. Another way is using the jig with multiple colors in case you’re not familiar with the conditions you are fishing under. This is a safe option because you’ll be able to cover a number of bases.
If you’re fishing in clear water, then primary colors will work fine for you. But if you’re using metal lures, make sure that they’re not too reflective or bright. Similarly, if you’re finishing in foggy or cloudier water, go for fluorescent or neon colors as they are more visible in such water. A good idea is to use contrasting colors in foggy water and solid colors in clear water. If you’re using metal lures, go with golden color for cloudy water and silver otherwise.
Best 10 Ice Fishing Lures [This Month]
- 🐟DROP WATER SHAPE ICE FISHING LURES: Drop-water shape and lead material. 6 different kinds of fishing jigs, total 26pcs. The life-like swimming action is effective in freshwater and saltwater...
- 🐟ATTRACTIVE & BALANCED DESIGN FISHING JIGS: Balanced design with a minnow profile. Realistic raised-fin attachment eye. Body coating with vivid pattern and bright color. Great for darker water and...
- 🐟SHARP AND DURABLE FISHING JIGS: The hook is sharp and durable. Heavy duty fishing jigs drop quickly. Made of high quality carbon steel which gives the lure its weight. The weight makes it...
- 【High Quality Ice Fishing Jigs】- Realistic 3D fish eyes for better attracting big predators in wider range. High simulation fish scales texure is enhanced with UV spot paints to be high visible...
- 【Luminous Effect】- The ice fishing lures have a luminous effect, adding luminous beaded treble hook, which glows in the darker water or low visibility conditions to help fishes locate the ice...
- 【Sharp and Strong Hook】- Complete with two sticky-sharp hooks and treble hook, corrosion resistant, rust-proof and durable, these ice fishing allow for a better penetration and increase hook-up...
- Features highly detailed paint and solid bright coating which has a great performance in bright environment; 21 pieces of them are luminous in the dark
- 4 types of ice fishing jigs and each type has a 6-color combination, 24 pieces in total
- Tip it with a wax worm, small minnow or plastic bait to attract more fishes
- We Have Picked Out Some of Our New Favorite Jigs and Put Them in a Kit,This Ice Fishing Jigs Set includes 6 Different Styles of Ice Jigs,include Slick Jig, Drop-shaped Jig, Spoon and Minnow...
- Attractive: Fishing Jig Head Features Premium Solid Colors and Highly Detailed Paint Finishes that Replicate Natural Colorization Process Keeping the Hook Bright and Attractive to Both Freshwater and...
- Unique Body Design is Great for All Live Bait Including Shrimp, Minnows, Leaches and Worms! The Life-like Swimming Action is Effective in Freshwater and Saltwater Fishing. Targeted Fishes: Bluegills,...
- 1. Assorted 54pcs Fishing Jigs :There are 10 different kinds of shapes fishing jigs and different colors for each shape to meet all your needs.Total 54pcs jigs come with a high quality plastic box.
- 2. Lead Head Material and Bright Colors: All the jigs made of lead material and high carbon steel hook. Tremendous finish that replicates the natural colorization process.
- 3.The simulation fish scales design on the jig head to attract target. The diamond on the head which can reflected light will increase hook-up ratios.
- 🐟 QUANTITY & SIZE: 5pcs/pack for this ice jig; Weight: 1.54g/0.05oz, Length: 18mm/0.7inke the fishing more interesting. UPDATED PACKAGING: Please don't worry about the damage when the jigs are...
- 🐟SOUGAYILANG Jigs are made of metal. Heavy body are designed to get down quickly reaching the deep water to tempt fish.
- 🐟INCREDIBLE DESIGN: Treble hooks are more stable after you catching fishes, The barb is the most important secure to avoid fishes escape.
- 🐟6 different shape of fishing jig,include balance jig,insect shape lead jig head,total 25pcs in one plastic box
- 🐟Lead material,body coated with vivid pattern,bright fish scales,more realistic,can reflect light from all angles
- 🐟Hook is very sharp and durable,made of high quality carbon steel,solid built,help you catch more fish
- 🎁A VARIETY OF OPTIONS//The kit comes with 50 pcs jigs. There are 10 pcs drop jigs,10 pcs banana jigs, 10 pcs shell jig,10 pcs small fish jigs and 10 pcs flat jigs.All the jigs come with a high...
- 🎁LUMINOUS & BRIGHT COLOR SCALES//The ice fishing jigs definitely painted on whole body.The drop jigs and banana jigs are coated with fluorescent dye which make it glow in the dark.Includes a...
- 🎁SHARP & DURABLE HOOK//The hooks made of high-quality carbon steel for high performance and longevity which makes it even more dependable to use in both salt and fresh waters.Neither going to give...
- 6 packs, packed by Atreelure
- Length: 0.87in; Weight: 0.05oz; Colors: 6 colors Hook 8#
- Merit: The white fishing lures is noctilucent, Light will shine when it absorbs light, you can fish at night. Note This is the only color that glow, other color options CANNOT glow, please carefully...
- ICE JIGS x12 - Ice Jig Heads in 1/32 - 1/16 - 1/12 - 1/8 Oz hand painted with ice bright colors of Perch Tiger - Chartreuse Glow - Orange Tiger - Gold - Black and More
- ICE FISHING LURES x4 - Jigging Lure - Ripping Rattle Minnow - Curved Flutter Spoon - Perch Jigging Spoon with Dropper Chain - to catch Walleye, Trout and Perch
- ICE FISHING SOFT PLASTICS x20 - Soft Bait Lures in Micro Panfish Sizes - 1/2" Spike Larvae Blood Red & 1.5" Wax Tail Chartreuse scented with anise and proven to catch panfish like Bluegill, Crappie,...
That’s about it. We hope this guide helps you in making the right buying decision for your next batch of ice fishing lures.