Best 10 Lobster Gloves in 2021 [Update]
If you are going lobster fishing, you’re going to need a good pair of gloves. Wild lobster, especially the spiny lobster species, can be difficult and dangerous to handle if your hands are not adequately protected. Here are some things to look for when buying a suitable pair of lobster gloves.
Table of Contents
Why would you need gloves to go lobster fishing? Well, for several reasons. Lobsters are marine crustaceans with hard exoskeletons, claws, and sharp, spiny legs — an obstacle if you are using a net, seine, or diving to hand-catch them.
The American Lobster (Homarus americanus) is perhaps the most well-known species of lobster, with a large, heavy body and comparably heavy claws. Its claws can be a pinching hazard, and the spines on the species’ legs and rostrum (just above the head) can also make it difficult to handle.
Spiny Lobsters are a group of several lobster species in the family Palinuridae. Common species off the coasts of the United States include the California spiny lobster (Palinurus interruptus) and the Caribbean spiny lobster (Palinurus argus).
Unlike the American Lobster, spiny lobsters do not have large frontal claws. Rather, they have long, spiny antennae and protruding spines on the head, back, and the underside of the tail.
The spiny lobster also has a strong bite, one that is normally reserved for crustaceans, mollusks, and other prey. For these reasons, you will almost certainly need a solid pair of gloves when handling a spiny lobster.
But what should you think about when purchasing lobster gloves? There are a few things to consider, including:
- Your environment – If you are lobster fishing in cold weather (or, alternately, diving for lobsters off a hot, sunny beach).
- Material – If the glove material is waterproof, flexible, warm, or breathable (as need be).
- Protection – If your gloves can specifically protect you from lobster claws or spines. Also, from rocks, nets, or fishing lines.
- Size – If your glove can fit you and is comfortable to wear.
- Your Lobstering Style – If you wear a wetsuit when lobster fishing (or if you are more likely to catch lobsters from a boat).
For example, if you are combing rocky reefs for spiny lobsters in warm weather, you are going to need lighter, breathable, more flexible lobster gloves. You might also want to consider durable wetsuit gloves suitable for divers.
If you are off the coast of New England fishing for the American lobster in colder, deeper waters, you will probably need a heavier, warmer pair of gloves. You will also want gloves that are fully waterproof.
Lobster gloves have several key features. Let’s look at a few of them.
Lobster gloves can be made of several materials. These include:
- Kevlar – a strong synthetic fiber material made of nitrogen, carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen molecules,
- Carbon Fiber – a strong, stiff, durable, synthetic material made mostly of carbon atoms,
- Polyethylene – a waxy-feeling, synthetic plastic that is used in bags, bottles, and lightweight gloves,
- Spandex – a lightweight, stretchable, synthetic fiber material, can be combined with polyurethane (poly-spandex),
- Neoprene – a somewhat solid synthetic rubber material used in diving dry suits and wetsuits,
- Leather – a durable clothing material made from animal hides, and
- PVC – or polyvinyl chloride, a water-resistant plastic polymer.
Each material has its pros and cons (as discussed later).
Some lobster gloves are UV-resistant. This can come in handy if you are in the sun for long periods of time. Other gloves are specifically designed for cold weather, with carbon-fiber interior arrangements and even battery set-ups for heating.
Waterproofing may be a good idea for some, though not all lobster fishing. In colder weather, you will definitely want a solid pair of waterproof gloves, almost without exception.
In warmer weather, waterproofing is not quite as important. Though for spiny lobsters, durable, strong gloves will come in handy, whether the gloves are waterproof or not. Be careful when choosing diving gloves — as diving gloves are not necessarily waterproof gloves.
Benefits and Drawbacks
There are several benefits (and drawbacks) to certain materials. This depends on the material, and of course, the specific environments and species for which you intend to use your lobster gloves.
A material like Kevlar is strong and will generally hold up when handling spiny lobsters. It is not waterproof, however, and is best used in warmer waters.
Carbon fiber can be waterproof and also hold up well under different temperatures. It may not be as reliable as heavier rubbers for colder-water lobster fishing, though.
Polyethylene is a waterproof material. It, however, is lightweight, and may not offer the protection needed for sustained lobster fishing.
Spandex would be an ideal glove base for warm, shallow lobster fishing. On the other hand, it would need to be combined with stronger materials in order to be a durable lobster glove.
Neoprene is used in most diving gloves, so it is a diving-friendly material. Neoprene alone may not make a decent lobstering glove by itself and would likely need to be used in a glove with other stronger materials.
Leather gloves may not be the most dive-friendly gloves. They would be suitable, however for cooler climates because of their durability, so long as they are waterproof as well.
PVC, especially when lined with foam insulation, would be an excellent waterproof glove. It would be ideal for durable, cold-weather lobster fishing.
Choosing the Right Gloves
The best way to choose the right lobster fishing glove is to know how you are fishing. This includes what type of lobster you’re looking for and your environment.
Though different materials seem to have their pros and cons, you probably will not be using a glove made of only one type of material. It is more likely that you will use some combination of these materials.
Best 10 Lobster Gloves [This Month]
- ★COMFORTABLE FIT: This Skyone neoprene gloves made with 3MM or 5MM premium neoprene to give you a flexible and comfortable fit, you have less restrictions and less hand fatigue during water sports
- ★PROTECTION: This scuba gloves with anti-slip design on palm and warm thermal materials to protect your hands from hurt by rocks or other sharp objects and keep warm while underwater, besides, the...
- ★WIDE APPLICATION: This dive gloves with hi-grip textured palm that helps provide secure handling of lights, slates and other small items, wonderful for snorkeling, swimming, scuba, surfing,...
- 【SKIN-FRIENDLY 3MM PREMIUM NEOPRENE】 OMGear neoprene water gloves made by 3mm quality＆softy neoprene with 4-way stretchy nylon laminated,which is healthy,elastic and durable,can last long even...
- 【ADJUSTABLE STRAP】The adjustable strap can cover your wrist tightly,provide extra fit and prevent sands or other small things coming in.
- 【ANTI-SLIP RUBBER PRINTING PALM】With the anti-slip palm,you can be confidence that you will never lose your grip while snorkeling, surfing,swimming,sailing,scuba...
- Perfect Hands Protection - These neoprene gloves are glued blind stitched, strong but flexible, provide perfect protection for your hands in multiple water sports, keep your hands safe against any...
- Keep Hands Warm - The diving gloves are made from premium neoprene which is thermal and covered with soft elastic fabric, continuously keep your hands warm in water and winter sports.
- Great Palm Grip - With the anti-slip rubber printed palms neoprene gloves, you can be confident that you will never lose your grip while snorkeling, surfing, swimming, sailing, diving, kayaking,...
- Grab your pair of BPS Wetsuit Gloves today! They are made with 3mm or 5mm double lined Neoprene, glued and stitched seams, a rubberized palm grip pattern and an adjustable wrist strap to guarantee...
- Move your hands freely and lessen hand fatigue during water sports. Glued and stitched for durability that will last. The grip textured palm will protect your hands and help you handle slippery...
- Easily adjustable wrist closure to minimize water getting in and ensuring an excellent fit (so they do not feel like they will come off). These will keep your hands warm while you and your family and...
- ✨High-quality 3mm Meoprene¡¿ Theiving suit gloves are made of high quality 3mm neoprene material and can be used for a long time. Protect your hands from hurting by sharp objects or other...
- ✨Unique Design¡¿ The unique design adds flexibility, making the gloves easier to put on and take off, and the elastic adjustable velcro wristband improves the tightness of the wrist cuffs.
- ✨Non-slip Granules¡¿ Gloves with non-slip particles allow you to grab moorings without the risk of injury ,and protect your hands from rocks or other sharp objects
- Should fit snug, but not too tight
- Constructed from soft and flexible premium neoprene material.
- Easy-flexing gloves deliver abrasion and thermal protection without sacrificing dexterity.
- Made With Kevlar Fiber Material Reference the size chart in the photos.Unlike nylon, leather and high-performance polyethylene gloves, which are often used to make sport diving gloves, Kevlar fiber is...
- All Around Protection Our D-Vein Gloves for Lobstering are designed to keep your hands safe throughout the lobster diving experience. Aside from the Kevlar material, the palms have a non-slip grip, so...
- Easy To Use Many scuba glove products are difficult to use due to their stiff and bulky composition. Gloves that aren’t pliable for a firm grasp can make lobstering or fishing a nuisance. With the...
- ★COMFORTABLE FIT: Skyone five finger dive wetsuit gloves made with 3MM or 5MM premium neoprene to give you a flexible and comfortable fit, you have less restrictions and less hand fatigue during...
- ★PROTECTION: This kayaking canoeing gloves with anti-slip design on palm and warm thermal materials to protect your hands from hurt by rocks or other sharp objects and keep warm while underwater,...
- ★WIDE APPLICATION: This swimming surfing gloves with hi-grip textured palm that helps provide secure handling of lights, slates and other small items, wonderful for snorkeling, swimming, scuba,...
- ☞【DURABLE CONSTRUCTION】These diving gloves are constructed with 3mm softy double lined Neoprene which is healthy, elastic and durable. The gloves can last long even frequent use and protect your...
- ☞【MOVE YOUR HANDS FREELY】Glued blind stitching for durability that will last and does not penetrate neoprene, easily adjustable velcro wrist closure to minimize water coming inside and ensure an...
- ☞【THERMAL PROTECTION】The rubberized anti-slip grip textured palm will protect your hands while surfing, kayaking, diving, snorkeling, swimming, canoeing, scuba, sailing and other aquatic...
- Diving gloves made of premium 5mm neoprene. Wear-resistant, Super-elastic, Quick-drying,Keep warm, UV-resistant. (Not Waterproof)
- Protection: with anti-slip design on palm and warm thermal materials to protect your hands from hurt by rocks or other sharp objects and keep warm while underwater, just enjoy it safely
- Durable: Exquisite stitching technology with blind stitched for superior strength and durability, flexibility hi-grip palm, no need to worry about ripped, it will be a long term partner for you.
Getting well-balanced, durable gloves, however, should be your main priority. This way, you will have gear that will keep you productive, comfortable, and safe.