Best 10 Redfish Fishing Lures
Redfish fishing is a rewarding experience. This article features the most important characteristics that you should look for when buying a redfish fishing lure. If you do not have the appropriate lure, you will not be able to cast it afar or use it as per your expectations.
Anglers must pick a lure that is suitable for the water in which they will be fishing redfish. With so many products available in the market, it is natural to feel overwhelmed and confused. This redfish fishing lure buying guide will help you to choose the right fishing lure.
Table of Contents
Redfish Fishing Lure Buying Guide
You will have to decide on the right size of the lure considering the size of the fish that you want to catch. While a lure measuring 2 to 5 inches is a good choice for smallmouth redfish, lures that measure about 2 to 6 inches are useful for fishing the largemouth ones.
Artificial lures that fall within the size range of 2 to 6 inches are among the best ones to be used for redfish fishing. If you wish to catch bigger redfish, you have to use bigger lures.
During summer, fish travel to the deeper waters. So, you need lures that run deep to catch them. In winter as well as in the spring season, fish move to the shallow waters looking for food.
At such times, you need to use surface lures and shallow running lures. If you are fishing in muddy or unclear waters, then rattling plugs are the best choice.
For shallow waters having a depth of 3 feet or less, the most commonly used lures are soft plastic baits, suspending hard plastic baits, weedless spoons, and topwater plugs. In case of deeper waters having a depth of more than 3 feet, generally, soft plastic lures, swimbaits, diving crank lures, and bucktail jigs are used.
It is best to use soft plastic baits because they can be used in all water columns and can be conveniently rigged weedless when required.
Redfish have an accurate and strong sense of smell. To make sure that they are not scared away by any foreign smell, you can use artificial lures that are strongly scented.
In cold waters, there occurs minimum fishing activities. For this, you have to use a smaller lure that can be inserted slowly into the water. Fish become more active in warm waters. Then you can use lures that can be quickly retrieved.
According to fishing experts, your choice of the lure color depends a lot on the clarity of the water. Use light-colored lures in clean waters and fluorescent colors in stained waters. Since redfish are mostly vulnerable to earthly and organic colors, you can use baits that are yellow, red, brown, black, or orange.
Natural redfish lures
For a beginner, it is important to know and remember the key features of natural and artificial lures. Knowing the advantages of the natural and artificial lures will help you to figure out which one to lay your hands on. The following are the different kinds of natural baits:
- Mullets: If you want to use live baits, mullets are a great choice. Live or dead mullet can successfully set up a trap for baitfish to be caught before starting redfish fishing.
- Crabs: If you wish to use crabs as lures, it is advisable to catch them a night before your fishing adventure. Small to medium-sized crabs are ideal for redfish.
- Clams and mussels: They allow the fishing lure to be hardened before using it so that it remains stuck to the hook.
- CrawFish: You can also use dead crawfish as bait.
- Grubs and mealworms: You can harvest these on dead vegetation regions or buy it from tackle shops.
- Minnows: If you want to buy a large redfish, consider hooking the minnows to the lure so that there occur continuous movements. These are best to be used if you are fly fishing.
Artificial redfish lures
If you are not in a position to get hold of natural lures, you are only left with the option of using artificial baits. Preferred by many anglers and popularised by several fishermen, these artificial lures are helpful and effective too. Here are different kinds:
- Jigs: When you are using jigs as lures, for every 10 feet of depth, use a weight of 1/8Oz.
- Crankbaits: One of the more popular types is the crankbait or jerkbait which is a hard body lures that comes in a multitude of shapes and colors.
- Poppers: This is not a popular choice since most fishermen find it difficult to be used as it only moves on the top surface of the water.
- Plastics: These are the most widely used lures for redfish.
- Plugs: These are specially designed so that they can float and dive as per requirements. You can consider buying rattling plugs if you want to grab the attention of the hungry redfish.
- Spinner fishing lures: These are particularly equipped with blades for making them vibratory and lightweight.
- Spoons: These are covered with metal and are used in waters having high visibility.
Redfish are one of the predatory fish who find plastic and rattling cylinder moving across the surface of the water very attractive. These lures resemble wounded baitfish and produce a lot of action and movement. Make sure you use walk-the-dog type of lures that are one of the superior topwater lures for redfish fishing.
Paddle tail lures
Though excellent for catching all fish species, these lures are especially effective for redfish fishing. The wiggling tails of these lures produce vibrations in the water and thus, attract redfish. Apart from this, it also offers a lifelike action to the lure.
Not all lures are the same. Some lures are much more reliable and efficient than others for redfish fishing. An efficient fisherman will adjust his lures as per his convenience.
Best 10 Redfish Fishing Lures [Most Popular This Month]
- GO-TO INSHORE LURE: Slow-sinking twitch/walking lure with erratic action mimics prominent in-shore forage and catches all species of inshore game-fish, including speckled trout, redfish, striped bass...
- HIGHLY VERSATILE: Can be fished quickly across the surface in a walk-the-dog fashion to catch active fish hitting the surface, but also can be walked slowly under the surface to catch more inactive...
- TOUGH AND DURABLE: Strong, #2 saltwater grade hooks and durable corrosion-resistant body and hardware to handle the toughest conditions and even the toothiest fish
- 30pcs Minnow Fishing Lures is Widely targeting at predator fishes such as catfish, perch, bass, redfish, trout, bream, muskie, roach, walleye etc for both freshwater and saltwater. Well-packed and...
- With double flat strong rings and #4 high carbon steel treble hooks offers continuous metal flash and special vibration to attract fishes. Stainless steel BBs inside lures’ Chamber to keep balance...
- 3D Life like eyes with Fish-attracting laser printed body provides excellent appearance of fishing lures.
- Extremely realistic lifelike lure. There soft bait is a natural appearance with a rounded head and a J-shaped Tail
- Triple-tip Vibrating Tail. A durable and triple-tip vibrating tail designed to catch the attention of hungry fish and lead them to fishing hook
- Work great for drop shot. Also ideal for weightless, weedless rig. Slightly smaller size quality grub, even use the easiest rig will make it a bass magnets
- 【Weedless Design】:The weedguard minnow prevent the spoon get caught in vegetated areas that will come up clean and weed-free every time, produce irresistible action underwater.
- 【Strong BKK Hooks】: Equipped with BKK single sharp hooks, more powerful, and with high strength. Features natural laser coating, complete with natural color and 3D holographic eyes for high...
- 【Rattling Ball】: Weedless minnow hard bait can be trolled or jigged, and rattling ball loaded work as weight transfer system and additional attractant.
- Dr.Fish 6 Pieces fishing plugs with brilliant holographic laser finish and 3D eyes
- Latest modify: 2 of them equipped with Mustad Treble Hooks and 4 with ultra-strong Saltwater Stainless Treble Hooks. Superior Chamber Rattler System, Life-like swimming action in water.
- Equipped with Strong Mustad plated treble sharp hooks. Much better quality than those kit with final price less than 1 buck per piece.
- The Redfish Magic Saltwater Spinnerbait feature premium components.
- It includes 24K gold plated #4 Colorado blade, gold plated swivel and split rings, heavy gauge gold plated stainless steel "R" bend wire and a saltwater black nickel needlepoint hook.
- Glass Minnor soft bait is made from a revolutionary new tear resistant material.
- Weight: 1.06oz; Length: 3.74in; 3D lifelike eyes, High resolution body detail, 2 strong and sharp treble hooks.
- BRILLIANT COLORS:Brilliant colors and realistic crankbait with lifelike bait fish swimming action to attract fishes which can be used in both saltwater and freshwater.
- MENTAL BALL INSIDE:Stainless steel balls inside, rolling to adjust the gravity center. Creates a low-frequency sound that penetrates farther.
- Soft Fishing Crab Lures, new Exquisite details, sharp hook
- Crab bait has bright colors to attract big fish:black, orange,green
- Air-filled claws for exceptional underwater action
- SundayPro Soft Fishing Lures: 100pcs soft fishing swimbaits.Offered in one size (1.97inch/0.03oz),5 glitter double colors, every color 20 pcs in box.
- Ultra Lifelike Split Tail Jerkbaits: soft baits lures has bright luster and sequins, flashes underwater. The soft jerk baits feature a lifelike V-shaped tail that accurately recreates the natural...
- Material : High-quality plastic material, This soft fishing lures are perfect for bass,scent included, resilience with use, It's durable, reusable and particularly bite resistance. tastes like an...
- 3D simulation eyes, the color is gorgeous, easy to attract big fish. Swimming posture is lifelike.
- Colors:5 Colors available, Weight:9.6G/piece, Length:10.5CM/piece, Hooks:#6 high carbon steel hooks.
- Through the metal surface electroplating processing and durable. It is suitable for Bass / Trout / Catfish / Grouper / Luce , and other fishes.
Choosing the correct lure will add more fun and make your redfish fishing adventure a success. Take time and go through the features and benefits of a particular lure, before you make the final purchase. So, follow this guide and handpick the best redfish fishing lure.