10 Best Rods for Redfish and Trout Fishing in 2021
Redfish and Speckled trout will always remain my favorite fish because of their size and taste. They are probably some of the most wanted fish in America.
But catching them is not so easy if you don’t have the right tools for the job.
This brings me to today’s topic about finding the best rod for redfish and trout.
Below I’ll be pointing out the best rod options within your budget. Also, a short but succinct buyer’s guide into why I have selected these options.
We have also put together our list of Trout fishing tips to help you catch more fish.
Read our other article if you are looking for the Best Reels for Redfish.
So, what are we waiting for? Let’s dive in to the perfect rod!
Table of Contents
- 1 What Features Make a Rod Good for Redfish and Trout Fishing?
- 2 10 Best Rods for Redfish and Trout Reviews
- 2.1 1. Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod – Best Inshore Saltwater Spinning Rod
- 2.2 2. Cadence Spinning Rod – Best Rod for Redfish
- 2.3 3. St.Croix Trout Freshwater Spinning Rod – with High Modulus SCVI Graphite!
- 2.4 4. St Croix Mojo Inshore Spinning Rods – High-end Premium Grade Rod!
- 2.5 5. G.Loomis GL2 Trout Jig Rods – Fast Action Fishing Rod!
- 2.6 6. Piscifun Torrent One Piece Baitcasting Rod – The IM6 Carbon Lightweight Fishing Rod!
- 2.7 7. KastKing Calamus Ultra-Light Spinning Fishing Rods- Great for Warm Water Trout!
- 2.8 8. Ugly Stik Elite Casting Fishing Rod – Tough Stainless-Steel Smooth Guides!
- 2.9 9. St Croix Premier Spinning Rods – Value-Conscious Choice with High-Quality Components!
- 2.10 10. OKUMA Celilo Graphite Salmon/Steelhead Spinning Rods – The Pro-Choice Long Rod for Redfish!
- 3 Conclusion
Quick Summary – Best Rods for Redfish and Trout
- Best Overall: Ugly Stik GX2
- Best for Redfish: Cadence Spinning Rod
- Best for Trout: St Croix Trout Freshwater Rod
- Best Fast Action: G Loomis GL2 Rod
- Best Premium Rod: St Croix Mojo Spinning Rod
What Features Make a Rod Good for Redfish and Trout Fishing?
So, what exactly does the finest rod for redfish and trout looks like? There are some really common specs that you have to ensure in the rod you buy. Here are the individual factors and why they matter.
Ability to Handle Different Size Fish
You can simply call it the power of a fishing rod. It determines the capability of dealing with diverse sizes of different fishes.
You can choose from ultra-light, light, medium, medium-heavy and heavy ratings for power.
For most cases, ultra-light, light, and medium variants are used for smaller size fish. I believe, for a big redfish, you should be choosing something from medium-heavy. Choosing anything less might give you no virtual power to fight aggressive redfish and trout. Eventually, this might break the rod too.
Image Source: fix.com
This factor decides how quick your rod comes back to its original position. The bend of your rod depends on the action.
Too fast action rods will bend towards the tips. While when you choose a moderate speed rod, it would bend along the whole length of the rod.The bending is called taper for a rod. Basic actions for rods are slow, moderate, fast and extra fast. If you wish to cast for long distances you might want to consider a slow action.
For jigging and soft trout bites, a fast action rod is preferable. While for horse redfish, getting a very fast action will do. However, this might not be so good in long casts.
What Should Be the Ideal Length?
For speckled trout and redfish, you need to understand length requirements well. When jigging for speckled trout, you need something that is easy to manipulate. So, get something that is not too long or too short. I prefer a 6’2” for most situations.
But then again, if you need to use popping cork, getting a bit longer rod may be useful. This gives you better exertion of power over fish. You can also cast for longer distances.
Long rods are also good for sight fishing redfish. I always like to take my 7 ft rod for such occasions. It helps me to control lure depths and keep the fishing line well aligned.
Line & Lure Ratings!
I think most fishermen would hardly consider giving importance to line rating. But using inappropriate line rating can make your rod break down. So, make sure the line rating is enough for handling trout and redfish.
Lure rating is surely one of the most important factors to keep in mind. Usually, it refers to weight fractions of an ounce or ounces. I believe ratings from 1/4 oz to 5/8 oz are excellent for speckled trout and redfish.
All Important Requirements at a Glance:
1. Rod with minimum power of Medium-Heavy.
2. Slow action for long distance casting, fast action for jiggling and soft trout bites and very fast action for horse redfish.
3. Not too short or long rod length for jiggling, long rods for popping cork and sight fishing.
4. Compatible line rating.
5. ¼ oz to 5/8 oz lure rating.
10 Best Rods for Redfish and Trout Reviews
There are quite a few options available for fishing rods today. After some research and studying, I have created a short list of the top ten choices. These picks are some of the best for redfish and trout. I’ll make sure to include both the good and bad sides of each selection.
If you don’t have a clue about picking a reliable rod for redfish and trout, try going through the guide above this review section. You can start back from here once you get the basic ideas about what to look for in a quality rod.
Read through the reviews and pick a rod that goes well with your individual requirements.
1. Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod – Best Inshore Saltwater Spinning Rod
- Strong, yet balanced graphite and fiberglass construction
- Durable ugly tuff one piece stainless steel guides
- Pre-spooled with 6 pound line
One piece design
Stainless steel guides
Clear tip design for added sensitivity
6 ft 6 in length
GX2 from Ugly Stik is a powerful spinning rod meant for aggressive species such as redfish and trout. The construction, pricing, and ease of use all do a wonderful job to give effective results through fishing sessions.
The design is a one-piece type. So, with a simple configuration, pro or beginner, anybody can start with it. It is super easy to understand and figure out.
There are also guides built of stainless steel and are one piece. So, the construction quality will survive in most water conditions, especially inshore saltwater. This eliminates inert pop outs as well. It is six ft six inches long – this is really a great option for long distance casting.
With around 6-15 lb. power the rod can handle redfish weights pretty well. Same goes for trout. The handles are from EVA. There will be no soreness felt after a long days fishing.
Wow Feature of Ugly Stik Spinning Rod:
It comes with a great lure rating which is preferable for big species of fish and so it’s a perfect choice for inshore saltwater conditions.
- Stainless steel guides.
- Tip design is nice.
- Amazing one-piece construction.
- Smooth handle.
- Good lure weight.
- Packaging needs improvement.
2. Cadence Spinning Rod – Best Rod for Redfish
- What You Get From Cadence: Cadence fishing poles offer high-performance premium features at an unbeatable value. Fishing with quality, dependable gear should not mean breaking the bank. Cadence has a...
- Ultra-High Quality 30-TON Carbon Fiber Blank: All CR5 1-piece and 2-piece fishing rods are constructed with 30-ton carbon matrix graphite blank offers strongest ,lightweight, durability and...
- Premium Materials: Cadence CR5 spinning rods are made from materials that bring strength and sensitivity without weight. Made of 30 ton carbon, SiC guides with durable stainless steel frames, a...
Carbon matrix graphite for extra strength, lower weight and improved sensitivity
SiC guides with stainless steel frames
Premium cork and EVA grip
Cadence is a well-known rod manufacturer. They produce some really quality casting and spinning rods. Also, the action rods provide quick response to certain situations. There are also SiC inserts included. It’s an affordable option for beginners who want to start casting for big species.
This variant comes with CR-5P carbon construction. So, it is really sturdy to go a long way. The sturdiness does not include any extra weight to the rod though. The design is pretty lightweight for easy handling.
It comes with Fuji reel seat. This makes reeling a piece of cake, especially for the tough water environment. Fighting the aggressiveness of redfish becomes simpler with such design.
Ring line guides coming along with the spinning rod is another amazing point to appreciate. It comes with a durable stainless-steel design. Overall the functioning is up to the mark.
Wow Feature of Cadence Spinning Rod
The carbon matrix blanks make a really compatible rod for huge size redfish with efficient casting speed.
- Carbon matrix blanks included.
- Lightweight and durable rod.
- 90 days refund policy included.
- Smooth performance.
- Comes with SiC inserts.
- The handle needs a rubber cover for comfortable casting.
3. St.Croix Trout Freshwater Spinning Rod – with High Modulus SCVI Graphite!
- Premium-quality SCII graphite combined with high-modulus/high-strain SCVI graphite for optimal weight, sensitivity and balance
- Designed to provide superior performance specifically for trout anglers
- Pac Bay Minima guides for 20-30% weight savings and greater sensitivity; Pac Bay Minima reel seat with custom insert for improved sensitivity and comfort
SCII graphite rod with SCVI high-modulus/high-strain
Minima guides that save 20-30% weight
Minima reel seat with custom insert
This freshwater spinning rod from St.Croix is a wonderful choice for hunting trout. It’s one of the premium picks that come with three in one facility of balance, sensitivity, and weight.
It comes with SCII graphite constructions along with high modulus SCVI graphite. This enhances the performance in saltwater as well. So, it’s also one of the best sea fishing rods you can get.
Trout anglers would love the performance with superior functions. There are Pac Bay Minima guides included – This saves weight up to 20-30%. It shows great results with sensitivity.
Still not convinced?
To improve the comfort levels, it also ensures quality custom insert with reel seat. The design makes sure the sensitivity is even more profound and usable.
It is covered with flex coat slow-cure finish two times for better protection and durability. I think anybody would love the rod with high-grade cork handle.
Wow Feature of St.Croix Freshwater Rod
It is one of the most rock-solid fishing rods that does amazing in freshwater, saltwater and almost any water condition.
- SCVI graphite construction.
- Excellent sensitivity.
- 20-30% less weight.
- Two coats for a perfect finish.
- High-quality cork handle.
- The guide’s alignment needs improvement.
4. St Croix Mojo Inshore Spinning Rods – High-end Premium Grade Rod!
- Premium quality SCII graphite.
- Hard aluminum-oxide guides with corrosion-resistant black frames.
- Fuji DPS reel seat with black hoods on spinning models.
SCII graphite rod
Hard aluminum-oxide guides
Fuji DPS reel seat
5 year manufacturer’s guarantee
This inshore spinning rod from St Croix comes in a practical price range with some really good-looking features to try. Cherry on the cake about the overall choice is it also includes a 5-year warranty back up by the manufacturer. So, your money is probably invested safely.
With the premium SCII graphite construction, you would be enjoying a great built-in quality serving you for years to come. The strength is good enough to keep you winning fights with aggressive species.
The guides that come along are made of high-quality aluminum-oxide. These are well protected from corrosion issue thanks to black frames designing.
The spinning models also ensure the reel seat is well placed and providing good functionality while longtime fishing session. It comes with DPS reel seat that is extremely high in quality.
The overall rod also comes with a cork handle. This is a split-grip category to give you a premium grade performance.
Wow Feature of St.Croix Mojo Spinning Rod
The quality never fails to impress with extra durable performance in a price range it deserves.
- SCII Graphite construction.
- Comes with aluminum-oxide guides.
- The reel seat is Fuji DPS.
- There are black hoods included.
- 5 years warranty.
- Packaging needs improvement.
5. G.Loomis GL2 Trout Jig Rods – Fast Action Fishing Rod!
GL2 graphite rod
Ultra-light to light
GL2 is a jig rod meant for trout species and it comes with few really awesome features in the price point. It is basically a fishing rod that can also be used for hunting bass and pinfish.
This is a fast action rod that comes with good speed for easy retrieval. The construction quality is good and will serve you for a good number of years.
The main material for this jig rod is GL2 graphite. So, it can handle fish’s aggressiveness quite well. Also, the durability for built-in is very impressive.
There is composite cork coming along for better functionality. Not only this, it even includes a premium quality species of cork.
You can get the model in both four-piece or two-price configuration. It depends on the style you basically prefer.
If you want me to give you bottom fishing rod recommendation, I’ll want you to try this very premium quality tool from G.Loomis.
Wow Feature of G.Loomis GL2
With two different types of cork, holding and using this premium rod for some fast action reason seems pretty enjoyable.
- Comes in 2-piece and 4-piece configuration.
- It includes composite cork.
- Graphite construction is durable.
- The action is fast for jigging.
- Suitable for trout fishing.
- The cork handle is pretty thick
6. Piscifun Torrent One Piece Baitcasting Rod – The IM6 Carbon Lightweight Fishing Rod!
- Versatile - If you're just starting out and want a good all around type rod, Medium Heavy and Medium baitcasting rod is the best choice
- More Durable - Two piece baitcasting rod design is crafted with a composite of graphite and fiberglass, creating a well-balanced yet powerful rod that is virtually unbreakable
- Sensitive - Tip design for extra strength and added sensitivity allows you to detect even the faintest nibbles, you can perfectly time your hook set and improve your catch rates
IM6 carbon rod
X shaped high temperature molding resin
If you are someone who likes to use the best baitcasting reel for redfish and so looking for a perfect rod to go with it, then Piscifun has this really amazing option for you.
Torrent rod is made of quality IM6 Carbon and has a good performance for baitcasting.
There is a total of 9 strategically placed guides distributed to make sure you get the smoothest and consistent power transition for fishing.
This reasonably priced rod piece comes with high-density grip from Eva. Also, the carbon blank and graphite reel give you ergonomic comfort while fishing for long sessions.
Wow Feature of Piscifun Torrent Rod
9 strategical guide distributions with IM6 carbon construction ensures you would be getting some amazing performance in this lightweight design.
- IM6 carbon built-in.
- Four different angled guides.
- High-quality carbon blank.
- Practical price.
- S-shaped hook keeper included.
- Material needs proper maintenance.
7. KastKing Calamus Ultra-Light Spinning Fishing Rods- Great for Warm Water Trout!
- Ultra-Light IM7 Graphite Spinning Rods – KastKing Calamus spinning rods are designed from the ground up to be the lightest rods on the planet. We start with an ultra-thin, 30 million modulus, micro...
- Premium Components – To keep weight to an absolute minimum while increasing sensitivity, we’ve used titanium guide frames and rings and weight reducing, 2-pc graphite reel seats. Comfortable, high...
- 9 Ultra-Light Weight Spinning Rods – The KastKing Calamus fishing pole series is available in 9 models from an ultra-light 4’6” 1 pc rod that is perfect for panfish and small trout, all the way...
IM7 graphite rate
Titanium guide frames
Available in 9 models from 4’6″ to 7’2″
Trout fishing basically needs a lightweight spinning rod and KastKing has an option available with a reasonable price range. They even claim it to be the lightest spinning rod on the planet.
This rod the weight low and at the same time provides better sensitivity. There are titanium guide frames for better functioning. Also, it includes a 2-piece graphite reel seat and rings.
You can enjoy a balanced and comfortable holding with the EVA handles. It comes with a perfect wrap for the split fighting butt.
There are up to nine models that you can choose from this series. The two-piece design makes it easy to carry and store.
Wow Feature of KastKing Calamus
A travel friendly rod design and weight to carry at any place any time. The features make it an upgraded choice for pro anglers.
- Ultra-lightweight design.
- Travel-friendly two-piece design.
- Graphite reel seats.
- Comes with EVA handles.
- Well balanced and great built-in.
- The metal clip should be placed on the top or side.
8. Ugly Stik Elite Casting Fishing Rod – Tough Stainless-Steel Smooth Guides!
- Ugly stik clear tip design delivers extra strength right where you need it
- Ugly tech construction with added graphite for lighter weight and increased sensitivity
- Ugly tuff once piece stainless steel guides provide maximum durability and eliminate insert pop-outs
The Ugly Stik Elite casting rod is meant for any age angler with all experience levels. It is one of the reliable and durable fishing rods for redfish and trout casting. The high-quality rod is proven by test to be of high qulity and easy to use.
The fast action rod will give you effective results whenever you want to hunt for redfish or trout. The design is really impactful for winning the fight with aggressive species.
Also, it can handle huge lures with heavy weights pretty well. It’s basically great for what it’s meant to deliver.
You would love the sensitivity Elite provides. There’s no compromise for perfect balancing in this price range which is amazing. You would be able to feel the bites quite well.
There is no need to change guides for fishing anymore. This quality rod comes with some tough and smooth guides that give you excellent performance.
The reel seat is made of graphite and it does moderately well for different situations. The handle with cork feels really easy to hold. Even for longer hours, there will be no pain or soreness disturbing your hands.
Wow Feature of Elite Fishing Rod
The way it handles weighty lures without giving any pressure on angler’s hand is truly remarkable in this price point.
- A fast action rod.
- Handles heavy lures.
- Good with sensitivity.
- No need to change guides.
- Comfortable handle.
- Eyelet needs improvement.
9. St Croix Premier Spinning Rods – Value-Conscious Choice with High-Quality Components!
Anyone looking for a powerful yet lightweight rod with the high-quality component can choose St. Croix premier spinning rods. These come with a really affordable price range and mind-blowing features.
The spinning rod comes with an SCII graphite blank construction.
There are also guides made of aluminum oxide and they come with durable hardness. It also includes frames span for rugged performance. The double plated chrome frames make sure you can have a solid and comfortable using.
The reel seat comes from Fuji TCS. It makes for a really strong and easy-to-use base for redfish casting. With the premium quality cork handle, you can enjoy a long-time casting without feeling soreness on hand.
The handcrafted spinning rod comes with an ideal blend of performance and value. There is hardly any dissatisfaction coming your way when using these quality rods.
Wow feature of St. Croix Premier
This SCII graphite rod for redfish casting can be used multiple times with rugged handling and it would still stay strong by your side loyally.
- The price is really affordable.
- Strong built-in quality.
- Durable frames for smooth performance.
- Quality reel seat included.
- Full cork for better holding.
- The sensitivity feels a bit low.
10. OKUMA Celilo Graphite Salmon/Steelhead Spinning Rods – The Pro-Choice Long Rod for Redfish!
- Sensitive graphite composite blanks
- Aluminum oxide guide inserts
- Stainless steel Hooded reel seats
If you want to get the highest quality material built spinning rod for your casting needs then Okuma Celilo might be a great choice to consider.
The reliability of the brand is accepted by hundreds of users and most of them have positive feedback for the manufacturer.
It comes with the genuine quality performance necessary for easy casting. You can use the rod for almost any water situation and weather.
Most of its users are experienced and a few also recommend this for multiple outstanding features. It comes with Graphite blank construction, so the durability is really awesome for the price.
There are Aluminum oxide guide inserts that make sure the user can enjoy smooth performance any time.
There is a reel seat made of stainless steel to provide a strong and tough function. It also includes quality fores with rear cork grips for a perfect experience with redfish casting.
Wow Feature of OKUMA Celilo
Long distance casting is absolutely delightful and marvelous with this amazing 8’6” long spinning rod.
- 8 ft 6 inches long rod.
- Excellent middle action.
- Comes with cork grips.
- Graphite blank built-in.
- Reliable and quality brand.
- No warranty.
Fishing is one of the most exciting activities one can engage in. To a few, it might also be their profession. No matter what the reason, for effective results picking the right tools can never be ignored. Same goes for finding the best rod for redfish and trout.
Make some time for research and judging each option available. It does not have to be pricey but also don’t just get anything low quality to save a few bucks.
I would love to hear about your favorite rod for redfish and trout in the comments below.