Best Rod for Redfish and Trout Fishing in 2020
Redfish and Speckled trout will always remain my favorite because of their size and demand for food. These are probably the most wanted fish for ideal catches.
But things are not so easy if your fishing tools don’t have the capability to grab them!
This brings me to today’s topic about finding the best rod for redfish and trout. I hope you have a bare minimum idea about both species.
Below I’ll be pointing out the best rod options that come within your budget boundary. Also, a short but crisp guide is about to show up for better choice making.
So, what are we waiting for? Let’s dig deep for the perfect rod!
- 1 10 Best Rods for Redfish and Trout Fishing [This Month]
- 2 10 Best Rods for Redfish and Trout Reviews
- 2.1 1. Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod - Best Inshore Saltwater Spinning Rod
- 2.2 2. Cadence Spinning Rod – Best Rod for Redfish
- 2.3 3. St.Croix Trout Freshwater Spinning Rod – with High Modulus SCVI Graphite!
- 2.4 4. St Croix Mojo Inshore Spinning Rods – High-end Premium Grade Rod!
- 2.5 5. G.Loomis GL2 Trout Jig Rods – Fast Action Fishing Rod!
- 2.6 6. Piscifun Torrent One Piece Baitcasting Rod – The IM6 Carbon Lightweight Fishing Rod!
- 2.7 7. KastKing Calamus Ultra-Light Spinning Fishing Rods- Great for Warm Water Trout!
- 2.8 8. Ugly Stik Elite Casting Fishing Rod – Tough Stainless-Steel Smooth Guides!
- 2.9 9. St Croix Premier Spinning Rods – Value-Conscious Choice with High-Quality Components!
- 2.10 10. OKUMA Celilo Graphite Salmon/Steelhead Spinning Rods – The Pro-Choice Long Rod for Redfish!
- 3 What Features Make Good Rod for Redfish and Trout Fishing?
10 Best Rods for Redfish and Trout Fishing [This Month]
10 Best Rods for Redfish and Trout Reviews
There are quite a few options available for rods today. After some research and studying, I short down the list to ten top choices. These picks are some of the best ones for redfish and trout. I’ll make sure to include both the good and bad sides.
If you don’t have a clue about picking the reliable rod for redfish and trout, try going through the guide below this review section. You can start from here once you get the basic ideas about what to look for in a quality rod.
Check down the reviews and pick a rod that goes well with your requirements.
- One-piece, stainless steel guides that eliminate insert pop outs
- Clear Tip design offers extra strength and added sensitivity
- 6'6" Medium Power Spinning Rod
- 2 piece rod construction
- 6-15 lb. test; EVA handle
GX2 from Ugly Stik is a powerful spinning rod meant for aggressive species such as redfish and trout. The construction, pricing, and usability all do a wonderful job to give effective results through fishing sessions.
The design is a two-piece type. So, with a simple configuration, pro or beginner anybody can start with it. It is super easy to understand and figure out.
There are also guides build of stainless steel and are one piece. So, the construction quality is quite well to survive in most water conditions, especially inshore saltwater. It eliminates inert pop outs very well. It comes with a long length of six ft. six inches. This is really a great option for long distance casting for that reason.
With around 6-15 lb. power the rod can handle redfish weights pretty well. Same goes for trout. The handles are from EVA. There is no pain felt from long time fishing.
Wow Feature of Ugly Stik Spinning Rod:
It comes with a great lure rating of 6-5 lbs. preferable for big species of fish and so it’s a perfect choice for inshore saltwater conditions.
2. Cadence Spinning Rod – Best Rod for Redfish
- 【What You Get From Cadence】Cadence fishing poles offer high-performance premium features at an unbeatable value. Fishing with quality, dependable gear should not mean breaking the bank. 3-Year Manufacturer's Warranty and 90 days return policy for a 100% refund,order it with no worries behind,you will get more than pay! Enjoy fishing !
- 【Ultra-High Quality 30-TON Carbon Fiber Blank】All CR5 1-piece and 2-piece fishing rods are constructed with 30-ton carbon matrix graphite blank offers strongest ,lightweight, durability and sensitivity than other rods. Ideal for game fish including freshwater fish like bass, walleye and trout as well as popular inshore species like red fish, speckled trout and flounder with a rinse after fishing.
- 【Premium Materials】Cadence CR5 spinning rods are made from materials that bring strength and sensitivity without weight. Made of 30 ton carbon, SiC guides with durable stainless steel frames, a comfortable Fuji reel seat and a blank wrapped in carbon veil to enhance the durability. Rods comes in 2 handle configurations; carbon split grip and full grip using a premium cork and EVA, is made to deliver a premium rod at a greater value than the competition.
- 【Super Smooth Power】Stainless steel guides with SiC inserts makes it more smooth and durable, avoids line sticking into the guides, minimizes friction while also enhancing sensitivity by transferring vibrations from the line through the guide to the rod and to your hand.
- 【Portable Setting】Unique 2 piece design makes it easily and affordable to fit in car, trunk, boat hatch than traditional one piece,but using feel like a one-piece fishing rod ! 2 piece spinning rod allows you to travel to your favorite fishing spot and enjoy fishing whenever and wherever you want.
Cadence is a well-known rod manufacturer. They produce some really quality casting and spinning rods. Also, the action rods provide quick response to certain situations. There are also Sic inserts included. It’s an affordable option for beginners who want to start casting for big species.
This variant comes with CR-5P carbon construction. So, it is really sturdy to go a long way. The sturdiness does not include any extra weight to the rod though. The design is pretty lightweight for easy handling.
It comes with Fuji reel seat. This makes reeling a piece of cake, especially for the tough water environment. Fighting the aggressiveness of redfish becomes simpler with such design.
Ring line guides coming along with the spinning rod is another amazing point to appreciate. It comes with a durable stainless-steel design. Overall the functioning is up to mark.
Wow Feature of Cadence Spinning Rod
The carbon matrix blanks make a really compatible rod for huge size redfish with efficient casting speed.
3. St.Croix Trout Freshwater Spinning Rod – with High Modulus SCVI Graphite!
- Premium-quality SCII graphite combined with high-modulus/high-strain SCVI graphite for optimal weight, sensitivity and balance
- Designed to provide superior performance specifically for trout anglers
- Pac Bay Minima guides for 20-30% weight savings and greater sensitivity; Pac Bay Minima reel seat with custom insert for improved sensitivity and comfort
- Two coats of Flex Coat slow-cure finish
- Premium-grade cork handle
This freshwater spinning rod from St.Croix is a wonderful choice for hunting trout. It’s one of the premium picks that come with three in one facility of balance, sensitivity, and weight.
It comes with SCII graphite constructions along with high modulus SCVI graphite. This enhances the performance in saltwater as well. So, it’s also one of the best sea fishing rods you can get.
Trout anglers would love the performance with superior functions. There are Pac Bay Minima guides included. This saves weight up to 20-30%. It shows great results with sensitivity.
Still not convinced?
To improve the comfort levels, it also ensures quality custom insert with reel seat. The design makes sure the sensitivity is even more profound and usable.
It is covered with flex coat slow-cure finish two times for better protection and durability. I think anybody would love the rod with high-grade cork handle.
Wow Feature of St.Croix Freshwater Rod
It is one of the most rock-solid fishing rod that does amazing in freshwater, saltwater and almost any water condition.
4. St Croix Mojo Inshore Spinning Rods – High-end Premium Grade Rod!
- Premium quality SCII graphite.
- Hard aluminum-oxide guides with corrosion-resistant black frames.
- Fuji DPS reel seat with black hoods on spinning models.
- Split-grip/premium-grade cork handle.
- 5-year warranty backed by St. Croix Superstar Service.
This inshore spinning rod from St Croix comes in a practical price range with some really good-looking features to try. Cherry on the cake about the overall choice is it also includes a 5-year warranty back up by the manufacturer. So, your money is probably invested safely.
With the premium SCII graphite construction, you would be gladly enjoying a great built-in quality serving you for several years. The strength is good enough to keep you winning fights with aggressive species.
The guides that come along are made of high-quality aluminum-oxide. These are well protected from corrosion issue thanks to black frames designing.
The spinning models also ensure the reel seat is well placed and providing good functionality while longtime fishing session. It comes with DPS reel seat that is extremely high in superiority.
The overall rod also comes with a cork handle. This is a split-grip category to give you a premium grade performance.
Wow Feature of St.Croix Mojo Spinning Rod
The quality never fails to impress with extra durable performance in a price range it deserves to ask for.
5. G.Loomis GL2 Trout Jig Rods – Fast Action Fishing Rod!
GL2 is a jig rod meant for trout species and it comes with few really awesome features in the price point. It is basically a fishing rod that can also be used for hunting bass and pinfish.
This is a fast action rod that comes with good speed for easy retrieval. The construction quality is dope and serves you for a good number of years.
The main material for this jig rod is GL2 graphite. So, it can handle fish’s aggressiveness quite well. Also, the durability for built-in is very impressive.
There is composite cork coming along for better functionality. Not only this, it even includes a premium quality species cork.
You can get the model in both four-piece or two-price configuration. It depends on the style you basically prefer.
If you want me to give you bottom fishing rod recommendation, I’ll want you to try this very premium quality tool from G.Loomis.
Wow Feature of G.Loomis GL2
With two different types of cork, holding and using this premium rod for some fast action reason seems pretty enjoyable.
6. Piscifun Torrent One Piece Baitcasting Rod – The IM6 Carbon Lightweight Fishing Rod!
- Light, Sensitive & Durable - The Torrent rod is constructed with High Quality IM6 carbon, featuring precisely wrapped guides at four different angles to ensure the best performance, it is then powered by X-shaped high temperature molding resin. The Torrent Series one piece Baitcasting Rod is boast exceptional sensitivity and is light in the hand
- Pure Power Transition - Our specialized computer control wrapping at three angles (0⁰, 45⁰, -45⁰) paired with 8+1 strategically distributed guides ensures consistent and smooth power transition throughout the bend. Pure Power Transition means better control on strong hooksets and long battles with big fish
- Technique Specific Actions and Lengths - Each technique specific action is designed with the angler in mind. We tapped into experts and competitors with years of experience who demand the best performance out of their tools. Rod weight, length, action, power and even handle length are purposefully designed and built to ensure you are maximizing the effectiveness of your time on the water
- High-End Features – You spoke, we listened. We have crammed the Torrent Series full of high end features to give you a high quality casting rod series at a price that anyone can afford. This includes a 30 Ton sanded smooth carbon blank, high-density EVA grips, tuned ergonomic high strength graphite reel seat and “S” style hook keeper
- All Piscifun rods are covered by our Limited Lifetime Warranty giving the original owner total peace of mind for the workmanship and materials of the rod. We have confidence in the quality, durability, and technology behind our products and will always be here to support our customers
If you are someone who likes to use the best baitcasting reel for redfish and so looking for a perfect rod to go with it, then Piscifun has this really amazing option for you.
Torrent rod is made of quality IM6 Carbon. The overall design also includes four precious angles and so the performance is finest for baitcasting.
There is a total of 9 strategical guides distributed with perfect concept. It makes sure you get the smoothest and consistent power transition for fishing.
The technique specific actions are really outstanding. These are well planned for anglers who need a strong and highly competitive rod for redfish.
This reasonably priced rod piece comes with high-density grip from Eva. Also, the carbon blank and graphite reel give you ergonomic comfort while fishing for long sessions.
Wow Feature of Piscifun Torrent Rod
9 strategical guide distributions with IM6 carbon construction ensures you would be getting some amazing functions in a lightweight design.
7. KastKing Calamus Ultra-Light Spinning Fishing Rods- Great for Warm Water Trout!
- Ultra-Light IM7 Graphite Spinning Rods – KastKing Calamus spinning rods are designed from the ground up to be the lightest rods on the planet. We start with an ultra-thin, 30 million modulus, micro polish IM7 graphite blank that has a strain rate of 650K. These extremely light spin rods are perfect for crappie, trout, panfish, smallmouth bass and many other warm water species.
- Premium Components – To keep weight to an absolute minimum while increasing sensitivity, we’ve used titanium guide frames and rings and weight reducing, 2-pc graphite reel seats. Comfortable, high density EVA perfectly wraps the handle and split fighting butt, providing perfect balance and comfort.
- 9 Ultra-Light Weight Spinning Rods – The KastKing Calamus fishing pole series is available in 9 models from an ultra-light 4’6” 1 pc rod that is perfect for panfish and small trout, all the way to a 7’ 2pc MH rod that will handle any trout, walleye or bass that swims.
- Easy Travel and Storage with 2-pc Designs – With the exception of the short 4’6” 1-pc spin rod, all of the Calamus rods are design in 2-pcs. We use modified spigot ferrules which deliver exceptional performance and sensitivity and make travel and storage extremely easy.
- Starting at 2.5 Ounces – With overall weights starting at just 2.5 ounces, these incredible new rods are perfect for ultralight or finesse fishing techniques. You won’t believe how light and powerful these rods are！
Trout fishing basically needs you a lightweight spinning rod and KastKing has an option available with a reasonable price range. They even claim it to be the lightest spinning rod on the planet.
The whole construction goes through a 30 million modulus process. Then it passes micro polishing with IM7 graphite for better blank. Finally, the strain rate comes up to 650K and becomes the perfect lightweight rod for trout.
It keeps the weight low and at the same time provides better sensitivity. There are titanium guide frames for better functioning. Also, it includes a 2-piece graphite reel seat and rings.
You can enjoy a balanced and comfortable holding with the EVA handles. It comes with a perfect wrap for the split fighting butt.
There are up to nine models that you can choose from this series. The two-piece design makes it easy to carry and store.
Wow Feature of KastKing Calamus
A travel friendly rod design and weight to carry at any place any time. 30 million modulus prices, IM7 blanks and 650K strain rate makes it an upgraded choice for pro anglers.
8. Ugly Stik Elite Casting Fishing Rod – Tough Stainless-Steel Smooth Guides!
The Ugly Stik Elite casting rod is meant for any age angler with all level price. It is one of the reliable and durable fishing rods for redfish and trout casting. The high-quality rod is proven by test about its quality and ease of use.
The fast action rod will give you effective results whenever you want to hunt for redfish or trout. The design is really impactful for winning the fight with aggressive species.
Also, it can handle huge lures with heavyweight pretty well. It’s basically great for what it’s meant to deliver.
You would love the sensitivity Elite provides. There’s no compromise for perfect balancing in this price range which is amazing. You would be able to feel the bites quite well.
There is no need to change guides for fishing anymore. This quality rod comes with some tough and smooth guides that give you excellent performance.
The reel seat is made of graphite and it does moderately well for different situations. The handle with cork feels really easy to hold. Even for longer hours, there will be no pain or soreness disturbing your hands.
Wow Feature of Elite Fishing Rod
The way t handles weighty lures without giving any pressure on angler’s hand is truly remarkable in this price point.
9. St Croix Premier Spinning Rods – Value-Conscious Choice with High-Quality Components!
Anyone looking for a powerful yet lightweight rod with the high-quality component can choose St. Croix premier spinning rods. These come with a really affordable price range and mind-blowing features.
The spinning rod comes with an SCII graphite blank construction. So, the components used for the built-in never fails to give you strong durability throughout multiple usages.
There are also guides made of aluminum oxide and they come with durable hardness. It also includes frames span for rugged performance. The double plated chrome frames make sure you can have a solid and comfortable using.
The reel seat comes from Fuji TCS. It makes for a really strong and easy-to-use base for redfish casting. With the premium quality cork handle, you can enjoy a long-time casting without feeling soreness on hand.
The handcrafted spinning rod comes with an ideal blend of performance and value. There is hardly any dissatisfaction coming your way when using these quality rods.
Wow feature of St. Croix Premier
This SCII graphite rod for redfish casting can be used multiple times with rugged handling and it would still stay strong by your side loyally.
10. OKUMA Celilo Graphite Salmon/Steelhead Spinning Rods – The Pro-Choice Long Rod for Redfish!
- Made using the highest quality materials
- Tested for reliability and quality
- Used by professionals worldwide
- Sensitive Graphite Blank Construction
- Aluminum Oxide Guide Inserts
If you want to get the highest quality material built spinning rod for your casting needs then Okuma Celilo might be a great choice to consider.
The reliability of the brand is accepted by hundreds of users and most of them have positive feedback for the manufacturer.
It comes with the genuine quality performance necessary for easy casting. You can use the rod for almost any water situation and weather.
Most of its users are professional and a few also recommend this for multiple outstanding features. It comes with Graphite blank construction. So, the durability is really awesome for the price.
There are Aluminum oxide guide inserts that make sure the user can enjoy smooth performance any time.
There is a reel seat made of stainless steel to provide a strong and tough function. It also includes quality fores with rear cork grips for a perfect experience with redfish casting.
Wow Feature of OKUMA Celilo
Long distance casting is absolutely delightful and marvelous with this amazing 8’6” long spinning rod.
What Features Make Good Rod for Redfish and Trout Fishing?
So, what exactly does the finest rod for redfish and trout looks like? There are some really common specs that you have to ensure in the rod you buy. Here are the peeps of each factor.
Ability to Handle Different Sizes!
You can simply call it the power of a fishing rod. It determines the capability of dealing with diverse sizes of different fishes.
You can choose from ultra-light, light, medium, medium-heavy and heavy ratings for power.
For most cases, ultra-light, light, and medium variants are used for smaller size fishes. I believe, for a big redfish, you should be choosing something from medium-heavy. Choosing anything less might give you no virtual power to fight aggressive redfish and trout. Eventually, this might break the rod too.
Speed of Retrieval
Also known as the action of a rod, this factor decides how quick your rod comes back to its original position. The bend of your rod depends on this factor.
Too fast action rods will bend towards the tips. While when you choose a moderate speed rod, it would bend along the whole length of the rod.
The bending is called taper for a rod. Basic actions for rods are slow, moderate, fast and extra fast. If you wish to sling for greater distance, a slow action should be an ideal pick.
For jigging and soft trout bites, a fast action rod is preferable on winters. While for horse redfish, getting a very fast action will do. However, this might be not so good in long casts.
What Should Be the Ideal Length?
For speckled trout and redfish, you need to understand length requirements well. When jigging for speckled trout, you need something that is easy to manipulate. So, get something that is not too long or too short. I prefer a 6’2” for certain situations.
But then again, if you need to use popping cork, getting a bit lengthy rod sounds useful. This gives you better exertion of power over fishes. So, you easily cast for longer distances.
Long rods are also good for sight fishing redfish. I always like to take my seven ft rod for such occasions. It helps me to control lure depths and keep the fishing line perfectly.
Line & Lure Ratings!
I think most fishermen would hardly consider giving importance to line rating. But using inappropriate line rating can make your rod break down. So, make sure the line rating is enough for handling trout and redfish.
Lure rating is surely one of the most important factors to keep in mind. Usually, it refers to weight fractions of an ounce or ounces. I believe ratings from quarter oz to 5/8 oz are excellent for speckled trout and redfish.
All Important Requirements at a Glance:
Rod with minimum power of Medium-Heavy.
Slow action for long distance casting, fast action for jiggling and soft trout bites and very fast action for horse redfish.
Not too short or long rod length for jiggling, long rods for popping cork and sight fishing.
Compatible line rating.
¼ oz to 5/8 oz lure rating.
Fishing is one of the most exciting activities one can engage in. To a few, it might also be their business activity. No matter what the reason, for effective results picking the right tools can never be ignored. Same goes for finding the best rod for redfish and trout.
So, don’t make a poor choice by being not confident if the tool you are buying can actually do well with your needs.
Have some time for researching and judging each option available. It does not have to be pricey but also doesn’t just get anything low quality to save a few bucks. I hope you can remember some common buying ethics before making a final choice on the best rod and reel for redfish and speckled trout.
#ad by Amazon
Last update on 2020-01-05 at 18:27 / Amazon Affiliate Link (paid link) / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API