The Best Saltwater Spinning Reels Under $200 in 2021
Whenever manufacturers tend to produce cheap reels they simply drop down the quality. Here, we pick the top five spinning reels that will impress with some of fantastic features at a great price.
We have also put together a quick buying guide so you can learn everything that you need to select the right reel for your circumstances. Whether you are fishing for tuna requires a different type of reel than a coral trout. No matter what type of fish species you are targeting we will be able to help you find a spinning reel for your saltwater fishing needs.
So let’s start.
Table of Contents
- 1 Five Best Saltwater Spinning Reels under $200 – Our Top Selection
- 1.1 1. Shimano Baitrunner D Spinning Reel
- 1.2 2. Shimano Stradic Ci4+ Fb Spinning Reel with Front Drag
- 1.3 3. Pflueger Supreme XT Spinning Reel
- 1.4 4. Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel
- 1.5 5. Shimano Stradic FK Spinning Reel
- 1.6 Features That Matter To Choose the Best Saltwater Spinning Reels
- 1.7 Our Recommendation
- 1.8 Wrapping Up
Quick Summary – Best Saltwater Spinning Reels Under $200
- Best Overall: Shimano Baitrunner D
- Best Value for Money: Shimano Stradic Ci4+
- Best Lightweight: Pfluegar Supreme XT
- Best Durable: Abu Garcia Revo XT
- Best Budget: Shimano Stradic FK
Five Best Saltwater Spinning Reels under $200 – Our Top Selection
If you are an expert fisherman or someone who is enthusiastic about fishing, you already know the significance of a great reel, especially in saltwater. Every year various manufacturers come up with different features and benefits. Due to the various range of options it can be difficult to decide what is best for you.
The difference between freshwater and saltwater fishing is the size of the fish and the risk of corrosion, particularly to the internal gearing for your reel. So a saltwater spinning reel is generally larger, and made from higher quality, corrosion resistant materials.
Here are our recommended top 5 spinning reels for under $200.
So let’s get into the product reviews.
- This classic live bait reel features a secondary drag system that allows free spooling with the bail closed and allows your bait to move naturally
- Utilizes an oval oscillation gear that provides a consistent spool speed which results in an even line lay that provides excellent casting and manageability
- Better casting; better line lay; less backlash wind knots or tangles; less friction on the line; larger; more comfortable grips; a higher max drag as well as a wider range of baitrunner settings than...
- Line retrieve: 36 in
- Maximum drag: 20 lb
- Item weight: 1.7 pound
If you are worried that spending less than $200 means you have to pick a spinning reel without some superb features, then have a look at the Shimano Baitrunner.
Shimano paved the way for new fishing technology, especially for someone who wants an excellent saltwater spinning reel on a tight budget. You will get everything you want from this ideal spinning reel.
Shimano are one of my favorite fishing brands, because of the attention to detail they put into everything – from the design to the materials and everything in between. Shimano are a byword for quality and durability.
This Baitrunner D series from Shimano offers several medium-sized reels for saltwater. At the same time, these are readily available in four other model from 4000-12000. However, the line capacity of this model starts from 8 Ib mono and 15 Ib in the braid. As it goes high, the line capacity also is shown as 20 Ib mono and 80Ib in braid on the 12000 model of D series.
Make sure you pick a reel size that suits your needs, depending on the type of fish – predatory fish like mackerel tend to run hard and require longer fishing line spool lengths, while tarpon fight hard and require stronger and thicker fishing line.
Some Noteworthy Features and Benefit of Shimano Baitrunner D Spinning Reel
Let’s dig into the benefits and features of Shimano Baitrunner D Spinning Reel:
- The first noticeable features is its anti-reverse mechanism. It comes with a Super Stopper II, where one of the bearings is used to eliminate any back play. This will help to avoid any bird nesting or spooling your line out when you don’t want it to.
- It also has the Shimano SA-RB anti-rust bearing. This is referred to as ‘Metal Shield’ and is one of the ways that Shimano build in corrosion resistance.
- The spool is made from cold-forged Aluminum, which gives it superior durability but also low weight.
- It also has good balance with Shimano’s Dyna which maintains the reel’s stability during retrieval.
- Finally it also has Shimano’s Propulsion Line Management, which helps to give longer casting distance by spooling the line on neatly. This also helps to fit more line onto the spool and prevents backlash.
- Better Casting Distance
- Excellent Line Lay
- Comfortable Grips
- Able To Tackle Lake Trout, Salmon, Crap Or Any Large Sized Saltwater Species
- Shimano produce high quality products with the latest and greatest technology available
2. Shimano Stradic Ci4+ Fb Spinning Reel with Front Drag
- Line retrieve: 35 in
- Maximum drag: 20 lb
- Model offer: 4
Looking for a long-range smooth-retrieve spinning reel on a tight budget? Shimano Stradic Spinning reel is perhaps one of the finest picks for that those who are looking a top class reel at an affordable price point. There are many reels in the market that can’t hold up the unusual situation and circumstances.
Shimano is remarkable for manufacturing of top class gear, which is why they have made the list so often. They offer many unique innovations to fishing technologies, materials coatings, bearing constructions – as well as some marketing hype.
This Stradic Spinning reel with front drag cones in four models which start from 1000 to 4000 sizes. The line capacity of the 1000 model starts from 6 Ib and 10 lb in a braid. In 4000 model, the line capacity of mono is 12 Ib and braid is 50 lb.
Some Noteworthy Features and Benefit of Shimano Stradic Ci4+ Fb Spinning Reel
Let’s dig into the advantage and features of Shimano Stradic Ci4+ Fb Spinning Reel
- Thanks to its Magnumlite rotor, this MGL Is 25% lighter than most other spinning reels of similar size
- The G-Free body structure makes it the ultimate choice for anglers who want to tackle lake trout, almon, carp, or any large sized saltwater species.
- The Next Noticeable Feature Is Its Water Resistance Through Upgrade Core Project. It Provides 360-Degree And All-Weather Protection.
- On The Other Hand, Shimano Designed This Model With Carbon Body And Strong C14 That Last A Lifetime If Somebody Takes Good Care Of It. As A Result Of Carbon Body, It Is Incredibly Lightweight.
- The Cold-Forged Aluminum Spool Makes This Reel. These Types Of Spool Insure Strength As Well As Durability.
- Incredibly Lightweight.
- Smoothness And Greasiness.
- Nearby Waterproof.
- 10 bearing System - Corrosion resistant stainless steel ball Bearings
- Magnesium body and rotor - feather light design
- Braid ready spool - allows Braid to be tied directly to spool
Pflueger Supreme XT Spinning Fishing Reel is one of the finest optic scopes of well-reputed plunger brand.
Rather than using a regular spinning reel with other extra stuff, it is safer to choice Pflueger for saltwater fishing. However, it is incredibly buttery smooth and worth to invest.
This model from Pflueger comes with five different models; Like as – SP25X, SP30X, SP35X, and SP40X.
- In SP25X Have 5.2:1 Gear Ratio; 8 Lb Maximum Drag And 6 Ounces In Weight.
- The SP30X Has 6.2:1 Gear Ratio, 10 Lb Maximum Drag, And 6.8 Ounces In Weight.
- The SP35X Has 6.2:1 Gear Ratio, 12 Lb Maximum Drag, And 8 Ounces In Weight.
- The SP40X Has A 14 Lb Maximum Drag, 6.2:1 Gear Ratio And 8.7 Ounces In Weight.
Some Noteworthy Features and Benefit of Pflueger Supreme XT Spinning Fishing Reel
Let’s dig into the benefit and features of this spinning reel. The first feature we like to introduce is its corrosion resistance; this model is specially designed for saltwater.
- Most Versatile Reel In The Market Today With Adjustable Handle And Suitable For Lake Trout, Salmon, Carp Or Any Large Sized Saltwater Species.
- It Comes With Carbon Fiber Handle Which Makes It Extremely Lightweight. Generally Speaking, Carbon Fiber Is Approximately 21 Percent Lighter Than Aluminum.As You Have To Hold The Spinning Reel In A While, If The Handle Is Not Heavy Its Surely Is An Added Advantage
- Thanks To Its SMARTretrieve Feature, That Secure High-Exactness Line Lay In Your Every Cast. At The Same Time, EVA Handle Knob Is Extremely Comfortable.
- Lightweight But Durable.
- Instant Response.
- No Wiggle Or Lag.
- 8 stainless steel hpcr Bearings + 1 roller bearing provides increased Corrosion Protection
- Amgearing System provides precision Machined gears for unparalleled smoothness and durability
- Computer optimized gear design allows for the most efficient gear System
Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel comes with such feature that is far better from the mediocre. Even you are investing an affordable range; you still receive some amazing benefit from this spinning reel. Moreover, we ensure your every penny will worth it.
Abu Garcia Revo Spinning Reel drag has come with another four models- REVO2XS10, REVO2XS20, REVO2XS30, and REVO2XS40. In the meantime, the retrieve rate is 30 of REVO2XS10, 33 0f REVO2XS20, 35 of REVO2XS30 and 40 of REVO2XS40.
Some Noteworthy Features and Benefit Of Abu Garcia Revo Sx Spinning Reel
Let’s dig into the benefit and features of this spinning reel-
- Eight stainless steel HPCR bearings and one roller bearing provide smooth retrieve and also has Advanced Corrosion Protection.
- As The Rocket Line Management Is Used, You Don’t Have To Worry To Control Or Tackle All Types Of Fish.
- It Comes With The Design Of Rocket Spool Lip That Gives The Better Control Of The Line.
- Advanced K-Clutch Spool And Carbon Matrix Drag System Are Used In This Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel.
- It is pretty lght because of its combination of a C6 carbon body and X-Crafts gearbox design. The roto is also leightweight as it is made from graphite.
- Outstanding Drag.
- Versatile Castability.
- Reliable Operation.
5. Shimano Stradic FK Spinning Reel
- HaganeBody - The HAGANE Body is a metal reel body with high rigidity. The body stiffness and impact resistance virtually eliminates body flexing. The result transforms the angler's actions directly...
- X-Ship - provides improved gear durability. By supporting the pinion gear on both ends with bearings, the pinion gear maintains precise alignment with the drive gear. This means the gears will stay in...
- SA-RB - These bearings have been through the same process as our A-RB bearings, but feature shields on both sides of the bearings that reduce the possibility of salt or sand inhibiting the bearing's...
- Roller bearing: 1
- Line retrieve: 35 in
Under budget, but still such a superb reel that will meet your entire requirements as an ideal spinning reel in saltwater. One of the finest reels that works fantastic and with some amazing features on a tight budget.
On the other hand, this model from Shimano comes with five different models; Like- ST1000HGFK, ST2500HGFK, STC3000HGFK, ST4000XGFK, and STC5000XGFK.
Some Noteworthy Features and Benefit of Shimano Stradic FK Spinning Reel
Let’s dig into the benefit and features of this spinning reel-
- The Populshion spool-lip design provides less friction which allows it to cast longer distances. It also helps to reduce backlash and wind knots.
- It also has Shimano’s Aero Wrap II, which gives reduced vibration during retrieval.
- The Dynam balance eliminates wobbles and vibration through smooth rotation.
- The handle is customizable with anti-reverse to eliminate back play which is a must-have feature for saltwater reels.
- It has a stylish design and is incredibly light and comfortable.
- Superb Casting.
- Outstanding Line Capacity.
- Smooth Rotor And Drag.
- Surprisingly Affordable.
Features That Matter To Choose the Best Saltwater Spinning Reels
Fishing in saltwater can be challenging to maintain and deal; here is some function that creates a great matter to pick the perfect spinning reel for you.
As we all know saltwater can cause corrosion and rust in important internal gears of fishing rods that aren’t made from the right material. So when you pick the spinning reel, make sure it got the corrosion resistance.
Even with this I recommend you thoroughly flush your feels with clean, fresh water after use. This will remove any salt crystals that form, keeping your reel clean and ready to go. You don’t always know how long it will be until you fish next and keeping your gear in good working order is important.
As saltwater fish are much bigger, drag is a vital factor.
Drag allows you to put more pressure on the fish as it swims away. The bigger the fish, the more drag you generally need. Of course you can’t apply more drag than you fishing line can handle or it will snap.
A great reel should decent line capacity and braid line compatibility. You need to decide how much capacity you actually need depending on the size and species of fish you are targeting.
If you are in saltwater (which I assume you are), you will be catching bigger fish than freshwater (in general). Make sure you have enough line so that the biggest fish you could catch doesn’t swim away with all of your spool.
This also depends on the line diameter. Mono is much thicker than braid so you can fit less on your spool – although it does have other properties.
|Saltwater Fish Species||Fishing Line Strength Required|
|Trout, Flounder, Bass||8-14 lbs|
|Redfish, Stripers, Blues||16-25 lbs|
|Mackerel, Snapper||30-40 lbs|
|Shark, Marlin, Tuna||80+ lbs|
When it comes to saltwater fishing, you have to face seaweed, sand, rocks. So make sure that reel is pretty durable.
You can do this by selecting high quality manufacturers who use good quality materials. In this list we have shown Shimano, Abu Garcia, and Pflueger, but you could also add Daiwa as well.
There are plenty of cheap reels available, but if you have to replace them next year then it is very poor value for money. If you can use the same reel for the next 20 years then it was worth the extra cost.
Every spinning reel in our top list has entered for their excellent benefits and value it offers. Are you looking a spinning reel for a professional quality? Meanwhile, we highly recommended Shimano Baitrunner D Spinning Reel for its excellent features with classic, elegant design. On the other hand, Shimano is so far one of the finest spinning reel manufacturers on the market today and a trustworthy brand in the fishing industry.
Hopefully, the best saltwater spinning reels under $200 will be helpful for you for your next buy.
Moreover, to wrap up this article, we could say there are varieties of the high-quality spinning reel are out there on this low budget. In summary, we selected top 5 reels for you according to their features, and specification and more than anything their adaptability in saltwater.
Furthermore, they are great in functionality as well as superb quality at an affordable range, and you don’t have to worry about the quality.