5 Best Spinning Reels Under $100 [2021 Buying Guide]
Tired of expensive Spinning reels that don’t perform?
Looking for great quality at a modest price? Well, then this best spinning reels under 100 dollars buying guide will be helpful for you. Though fishing is fun, it’s also challenging.
In this article, we selected some top spinning reels under $100. Each of the reels on our list has been entered for their great functionality. Rather than their excellent features, they are in a reasonable price range.
Furthermore, we discuss these products with a comprehensive comparison that will help you to recognize key points and much more. Consequently, we added the buying guide to consider the factors to look for before buying. So by the end of the reading of this article, you will have a deep insight into it.
So let’s start.
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick Summary – Best Spinning Reels Under $100
- 2 Best Spinning Reels Under $100 Buying Guide
- 3 5 Best Spinning Reels Under 100 Dollars
- 4 Our Top Selection
- 5 Final thought
Quick Summary – Best Spinning Reels Under $100
- Best Overall: Penn Battle II
- Best Heavy Duty: Penn Fierce II
- Best Lightweight: Okuma Ceymar
- Best Saltwater: Pflueger President
- Best Freshwater: Shimano IX Freshwater Drag
What is a Spinning Reel?
Fishing is the activity of catching fish. In simple terms, a spinning reel is a machine or cylindrical device that is connected to a rod for the reason of fishing. These reels were first invented in 1948 by a company named Mitchell. A great designed spinning reel is the best weapon of a successful angler. Spinning reels are easy to use as well as easy to maintain. You only have to flip the bail, adjust it with cast and line, close the bail and turn back the reel.
Learn how to use a spinning reel in this simple guide.
Best Spinning Reels Under $100 Buying Guide
Though we selected the products which offer top quality performance even at a modest price, there are some important factors you need to understand. So have a look.
If you are a newbie angler, you will get confused with some terminology about spinning reel which you never heard before. With the product comes the manufacturer’s instructions which give a brief description. However, we are going to give a brief definition of these terms.
A Fishing Rod is a flexible pole used to catch fish. In general speaking, the fishing rod is a simple pole or stick attached with an angle for the reel to be attached. Normally the length of a rod is 2-20 ft.
Bait is the substance that works to catch or attract the fish. It usually sets at the end of the fishing trap or hook. Usually, insects, night crawlers or smaller bait fish is used for this reason. Though fisherman uses plastic bait, they also use hard lures.
Angling is a popular method of fishing and is the principal method of saltwater or sports fishing like tuna, marlin, and swordfish.
A fishing line is a cord used for angling. However, important parameters of a line are material, length, and weight. What line is better is dependent on UV resistance, knot strength, castability, stretch, breaking strength, stretch, and abrasion resistance. Most of the modern line is made from silk or nylon.
What to Expect From Best Spinning Reels Under $100
- Reel Weight: As manufacturers don’t use costly materials to provide the Spinning Reels under $100, weight can’t be optimized. So if you expect a lightweight spinning reel under $100, you will be disappointed. But keep in mind; heavier reels are not always bad if you know how to adjust with your wrists.
- More Plastic elements: like the reel, manufacturer can’t invest a huge amount for an advanced component. So they try more plastic material to save the production cost. As a result, these reels come with fewer metal components.
- Without spare spool: at this modest price, it’s hard to expect standard spool and a braid ready spool. Most of the spinning reels under this come with one spool.
- Unsealed Bearings and Drags: to save some penny, the drags are not sealed on these reels. The bearing also cut down to adjust the price.
Tips: How to Care for a Reel
To use a spinning reel and to get extra lifespan, it needs good care. As spinning reels are used close to water, the chances of getting damaged are high. For that, we recommend the following tips:
- Assemble the tools properly.
- Place the accessories spool, reel, and accessories of reels at the right position.
- Clean the parts separately, don’t clean reel as a whole.
- Before removal, make sure the fishing line is secure.
- Apply reel grease to the gears
- Apply reel oil to the bearings
- Flush all saltwater thoroughly with freshwater
5 Best Spinning Reels Under 100 Dollars
The spinning reel is a weapon that is designed to catch more fish easier, and smarter. So carefully pick the one that is cost effective for you. Here are our recommended 5 Best Spinning Reels Under $100 for you.
- Durable, high range spinning reel ideal for conquering big saltwater game fish
- Full metal body, sideplate, and rotor and heavy duty aluminum bail wire offer exceptional durability
- HT 100 carbon fiber drag system provides powerful drag without sacrificing smoothness
- Durable, high range spinning reel ideal for conquering big saltwater game fish
- Full metal body, side plate, and rotor and heavy duty aluminum bail wire offer exceptional durability
- 4+1 stainless steel bearing system
Are you a novice angler? Penn Battle II Spinning Fishing Reel will perform flawlessly.Whenever it comes to picking the best-in-class spinning reel, Penn comes to the forefront of innovation and elegant design. The best thing is they come at a reasonable price.
Penn Battle II Spinning Fishing Reel is one of them. It comes on the first position on our best spinning reels list because of its reliable design and versatile. So arm yourself to fight the battle of saltwater fish with a Penn Battle II Spinning Reel.
This model from Penn comes with the several versions from 1000 to 8000. The gear ratio of 2500, 3000 and 4000 is 6:2:1. On the other hand, other versions like 5000 and 6000 have come with the gear ratio of 5:6:1. Only 8000 version has 5:3:1 gear ratio. All of them have six bearing.
Penn II1000 | Max Drag: 9 lbs | Mono capacity: 275/2; 135/4; 105/6
Penn II2500 | Max Drag: 12 lbs | Mono capacity: 255/6; 175/8; 140/10
Penn II3000 | Max Drag: 15 lbs | Mono capacity: 200/8; 165/10; 120/12
Penn II4000 | Max Drag: 15 lbs | Mono capacity: 270/8; 220/10; 165/12
Penn II5000 | Max Drag: 25 lbs | Mono capacity: 225/12; 200/15; 135/20
Penn II6000 | Max Drag: 25 lbs | Mono capacity: 335/15; 230/20; 210/25
Penn II8000 | Max Drag: 30 lbs | Mono capacity: 340/20; 310/25; 230/30
Penn Battle II Highlighted Features
- The corrosion resistance Penn II will give protection against all chemicals and salt water sprays. The previous version Penn doesn’t have this feature. This was one of the limitations of the last version. .
- It now has six ball bearing – This extra ball bearing makes it sturdy and durable by preventing damaging in saltwater. Furthermore, this bearing made from stainless steel.
- The Penn Battle II, Spinning Fishing Reel, has come with 20% extra drag.
- More than anything, it comes with large Line Capacity Ring. It’s surely an added value because it works fine for hooking big fat fish.
- The Drag System Is So Smooth
- Solid Reel As Well Build Quality
- It Comes With Anti-Reverse System
- Enough Spool Capacity With Braid-Ready
- Very low weight makes it difficult to cast in windy conditions
- Spinning fishing reel offers premium performance and durability at an exceptional value
- Durable construction with full metal body and sideplates plus heavy-duty aluminum bail wire
- Fluid cranking with 4 shielded stainless steel ball bearings and instant anti-reverse bearing
- Full metal body and sideplate keep precise gear alignment under heavy loads
- Techno-Balanced rotor gives smooth retrieves
- 4 shielded stainless steel ball bearings
Finding the right Spinning Fishing Reel under $100 seems a big challenge, right? But Penn paved the way for another great reel. Penn is undoubtedly presenting some great spinning reel at a very reasonable cost. Rather than its low cost, you will get the entire required features you expect on a quality reel.
Penn Fierce II Spinning Fishing Reel is one of them. That’s why we have selected this reel for our best spinning reels lists. Though Penn has produced spinning reel especially for saltwater for decades, this model launched in 2005 at fall.
It has got multiple versions starting from 1000 to 8000. The features and specification are very close to each other. The price range starts from $49-$89. So if you want a solid reel less than 100 dollars, this Penn Fierce II Spinning Fishing Reel is worth considering.
It’s got 18 models including 1000, 2000C, 2500, 2500C, 2500LL, 2500LLC, 3000, 3000C, 4000C, 4000LL, 4000LLB, 5000, 5000C, 6000, 6000C, 6000LL, 6000LLC and 8000. Each of the versions has five ball bearings.
Highlighted Features and Benefit of Penn Fierce II Spinning Fishing Reel
- First of all, the full metal body made from aluminum. On the other hand, side plate gives better gear control under heavy pressure. So it is durable and has a long lifespan.
- Like other Penn reel, it has also got quality paint. That protects against chemicals and saltwater spray and works well against corrosion.
- Being Techno-Balanced™, Penn Fierce II Spinning Fishing Reel is far better than the other reels on the market in this price range. It is a trademark design of Penn spinning reel. At the same time, 4+1 ball bearing gives a silky smooth feeling. The bearings are made from stainless steel. As a result, it will be durable.
- It has an anti-reverse system that gives a solid retrieve and avoids slippage.
- This reel has a bail wire of heavy-duty aluminum. This aluminum fights back the test of time and survives for long periods.
- It is made with more than enough spool line capacity. The mono capacity is also impressive for each model.
- It is Enclosed By The Full Metal Body
- Affordable Price Range
- It Has an Upgraded Corrosion Resistance System
- Weight is slightly high
- The anti-reverse function can put extra pressure on the gear system
- Gear Ratio: 5.0:1, Precision Elliptical Gearing system
- 7BB + 1RB bearing system, Quick-Set anti-reverse roller bearing
- Multi-disc, oiled felt drag system
- Multi-disc, oiled felt drag system, Max Drag Pressure - 5-lbs
- Quick-set anti-reverse roller bearing
- Precision machine cut brass pinion gear
Are you an enthusiast angler?
Then you know how important it is to choose the right reels for fresh water. For a devoted person like you, Okuma Ceymar Lightweight Spinning Reel will be a great choice.
Well, we know picking best spinning reels under 100 Dollars is a daunting task. But Okuma have managed to win people’s heart within just a few years. Their motto is to offer more than fishing gear but motivate and inspire the fishing. As you can see the name of the reel, most of the Okuma spinning reels are lightweight.
These models are- C10, C30, C40, C55, and C65. The entire model comes with 7BB + 1RB bearing system and a gear ratio of 5.0:1.
Max Drag: 4 lbs
Line capacity: 110yd
Max Drag: 8 lbs
Line capacity: 160yd
Max Drag: 10 lbs
Line capacity: 190yd
Max Drag: 15 lbs
Line capacity: 240yd
Max Drag: 25 lbs
Line capacity: 310yd
More than anything Okuma produces each model specifically for different reason and purpose. Have a look.
C-10 Ceymar Reel for small fish:The smallest fishing reel perfect for small fish like 2 to 6 pound. It designed especially for fishing trout, bluegill, crappie, sunfish or small perch as well as an outfit for small ice fish.
C-30 and C-40: Versatile Freshwater spinningThis medium size is suitable for walleye, carp fishing, steelhead, bass, catfish and more. The C30 model is great for fish within 6 to 8 pound. On the other hand, C-40 got large capacity for bigger fish and lured with 10 to 12 pound.
C-55: For Inshore Saltwater FishingC-55 size reel offers a versatile reel in inshore saltwater fishing. It designed for snook, shallow water fish, and redfish. It can hold roughly 20-30 pound and within 240 yards.
C-65: Jetty, Pier & Big Water FishingIn this C-65 model, it is equipped with Ergo Grip. It made for big water fishing like a pier, jetty where a large number capacity is required. More than anything, it can cover the vast area of lakes or big rivers.
Highlighted Features and Benefit of Okuma Ceymar Lightweight Spinning Reel
- Quick Anti-Reverse Roller
- Fine cut brass pinion gear
- Double-Tone Anodized Spool
- 7+1 Ball Bearings.
- Large mono capacity
- The aluminum bail wires are solid and heavy duty
- These reels are Reliable and durable at an affordable price
- Retrieving line is quite smooth
- It comes with dynamic design
- There are different reels for different scenarios which can cause confusion
- 9 Stainless Steel Ball Bearings; 6920 has 6 ball bearings
- On/Off instant anti-reverse bearing
- Lightweight graphite body and rotor
- 10 bearing system: Corrosion resistant stainless steel ball bearings
- Graphite body and rotor: Lightweight graphite reel construction. Braid ready spool - Allows Braid to be tied directly to spool
- HT 100 carbon fiber drag system provides powerful drag without sacrificing smoothness
Looking for a superior quality spinning reel at a modest price? Well, then Pflueger President Spinning Reel will be the right choice for you.
Fishing can be both fun family time and a competitive sport. But you have to choose the right equipment. We know finding a superior or best spinning reels under $100 is quite a tough task. But this Pflueger President Spinning Reel will not disappoint you.
Like other Pflueger spinning reels, this one is also enclosed with a graphite body and aluminum spool that makes it durable and light. Furthermore, it has a Sure-Click bail that gives a loud indicator. There is two style of Pflueger President Spinning Reel including – Box and Clam. Both have three different models. Those are 30, 35 and 40. The entire model got the gear ratio 5.2:1 and ten ball bearings.
PPS30| Max Drag: 10 Ibs | Mono Capacity: 4/255 6/145 8/130|Reel Weight: 8.3 oz
PPS35| Max Drag: 12 Ibs | Mono Capacity: 6/225 8/175 10/140|Reel Weight: 10.7 oz
PPS40| Max Drag: 14 Ibs | Mono Capacity: 8/285 10/230 12/195|Reel Weight 11.3 oz
Highlighted Features and Benefit of Pflueger President Spinning Reel
- 10 corrosion resistant stainless steel ball bearings
- Smooth haul drag adjustment with oil coated washers
- The clutch is one-way as well as anti-reverse which is instantaneous.
- This reel comes with a single braid-ready spool
- The best feature of this Pflueger spinning reel is its Graphite body. At the same time, the rotor is also made from Graphite. As a result, the reel is pretty lightweight.
- Slow Oscillation Gearing
- The knob is made from rubber and is quite soft. So it gives comfort and excellent grip.
- Easy Casting and Durable
- Smooth Reeling and Drag System
- It’s a very Reliable spinning reel
- Lower casting distance than some of the other options
- Line Capacity: 6/170, 8/120, 10/100
- Max Drag: 7lbs
- Gear Ratio: 4.1:1
- IX reel features QuickFire II for easy, one-handed casts
- The CBS series of two-piece rods was created for anglers of all ages and skill level
- Rod is built with Shimano's Aeroglass construction which is lighter and more responsive than traditional glass material.
SSR 1 |9.6 ounces | 4.1:1 | max Drag 7 Ibs | Line Capacity: 6/170, 8/120, 10/100
SSR 2 | 1.5 pounds | 4.1:1 | max Drag 15 Ibs | Line Capacity: 8/240, 10/200, 12/160
Shimano has finally released a spinning model that most anglers or professionals can afford. It is very popular among freshwater anglers and achieved a positive review from the customers.
The first thing you will notice first is its sleek blackish look thanks to its stunning mechanical design and excellent drag system. Moreover, Shimano Spinning Reel is not only a great spinning reel for the angler but also at a modest price.
Highlighted Features and Benefit of SHIMANO IX Rear Drag Freshwater Spinning Reel
- The frame and handle are constructed of solid aluminum. The combination of graphite and solid aluminum makes it extra durable.
- Shimano designed this reel for saltwater. To survive and protecting damage all graphite material like side plate, frame, spool, rotor. So it will be the best choice for saltwater fishing.
- More than anything, these spinning reels are light. One of them is 9.6 ounces, and another is 1.5 pound. So you will not be getting fatigued to hold it.
- The handles made as traditional T shaped. At the same time, paddle-shaped are depending on which size you prefer.
- This reel is an easy casting and level winding reel. The Propulsion Line Management System that allows flowing off the spool gently. It ensures longer cast, without making huge backlashes.
- The S A-RB bearings come with shielded on each side and protect from dirt.
- This Spinning Reel Is Quite Lightweight
- Rear Drag
- It Gives Effortless Casting
- Can have trouble casting in rough weather
- Take care of the graphite
Our Top Selection
We know finding a Best Spinning Reels under 100 is a tough task. But we carefully selected top quality performer spinning reel. We highly recommended Penn Battle II Spinning Fishing Reel for its amazing features and elegant design. On the other hand, Penn is so far one of the exceptional spinning reel manufacturers on the market and a reliable brand in the fishing industry.
To wrap the Best Spinning Reels under $100 reviews up, we try to cover up top 5 best spinning reels in your budget. Each one on this list is amazing with their superb benefit and specification plus we added the things we didn’t like the item.
Moreover, you should consider some features before purchasing the spinning reel which you can find in buyer guide section. So we hope you love our article and it will be helpful to choose the best spinning reel on your affordable range. So enjoy portable fishing with these top qualities spinning reel. Thanks for being with us.
Last update on 2021-04-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API