10 Best Spinning Reels for Bass Fishing | Buying Guide and Reviews
For a smooth bass fishing experience with your friends, you need the Best Spinning Reels for Bass Fishing which will not only provide absolute control but also give comfort at the same time. Furthermore, with these 10 best spinning reels for bass fishing article, you will get a useful amount of helpful tips and a quick comparison of all Spinning Reels for Bass Fishing available in the market.
We have also put together some instruction on learning how to use a spinning reel.
In summary, we will cover some of the must-have features along with some high-quality spinning reels. These top-rated reels comprise some awesome features such as smooth retrieve, maneuverability, reliable operation, compact design and overall customer satisfaction.
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick Summary – Best Bass Spinning Reels
- 2 Spinning Reels for Bass Fishing Buying Guide
- 3 10 Best Spinning Reels for Bass Fishing
- 3.1 1. Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel
- 3.2 2. Penn SpinFisher VI Spinning Reel
- 3.3 3. Yoshikawa Baitfeeder Spinning Reel
- 3.4 4. Shimano Spirex FG Spinning Reel
- 3.5 5. Daiwa BG Spinning Reel
- 3.6 6. Shimano Stradic Ci4+
- 3.7 7. Penn Battle II
- 3.8 8. Pflueger President
- 3.9 9. Pflueger Supreme
- 3.10 10. Shimano Sahara
- 4 Final verdict:
Quick Summary – Best Bass Spinning Reels
- Best Overall: Abu Garcia Revo SX
- Best Value for Money: Shimano Spirex FG
- Best Durable Reel: Penn Spinfisher VI
- Best Baitfeeder: Yoshikawa Baitfeeder Reel
- Best Lightweight: Daiwa BG
Generally speaking, bass fishing is the sport of angling for the bass gamefish in North American. Black bass is the species including smallmouth bass or Micropterus dolomieui, largemouth bass or Micropterus salmoides, spotted bass or Micropterus punctulatus. Black bass are comparatively strong fighters. Black bass can be found in reservoirs, lakes, ponds, creeks, rivers, or streams.
Spinning Reels for Bass Fishing Buying Guide
These 5 Best Spinning Reels for Bass Fishing will be incomplete without mentioning the buying guide. We will discuss some of the great spinning reels for bass along with their benefit, specification, and limitations. As mentioned earlier, bass fishing is different from deep, inshore or saltwater fishing. So we have added nine basic things you should know while you are going for bass.
Seven Basic Things You Should Need to Know
How can I catch more bass?
It’s the most frequent question we have faced. Let’s be clear – bass fishing can be tough if you don’t follow some basic tips. A great spinning reel plays a vital role as well as the fishing rod in the goal of catching a big bass. But there are plenty of useful tips you should follow:
The most relevant and important factor is to place the lure where the fish are feeding or sheltering. The cover comes in different forms such as wood, grass, boat docks, rocks, lily pads. Keep in mind bass loves to hang close to cover.
Match the Hatch:
Bass are brutes. While you are attempting to catch that bass, make sure your lure matches either whatever the bass are feeding on, or aggressive enough to mimic a predator of the bass hatchlings. If it’s small or too big, it will be unsuccessful.
As bass are rude and savages, so handling them is not an easy task. You have to be a versatile angler to fight with this beast.
Understand the Weather:
There can be dramatic changes in weather anytime. So before going for a bass fish, learn how bass behaves under various weather conditions.
Temperature may differ time to time, even in location. So watch the water carefully when its temperature changes. The techniques may differ to catch the bass in cool or warm water, in particular the depth that they move to.
If the wind is blowing over 15mph, it can be difficult for fishing. This situation is not suitable for casting or even steering the boat position properly. But normal quiet wind can be your friend for bass fishing.
What would be painful than tying knots on the water. Losing fish for bad knots is the worst. So to save time, pick a versatile knot. Moreover, it will make a chance for getting more fish in less time.
What Size Spinning Reel for Bass Fishing?
The best size spinning reel for bass fishing is a 2500. This is my personal favorite as its gives plenty of power, and line capacity (even if you are using monofilament fishing line), but also keeps the weight down.
You can use anything from a 1000 to a 4000 sized reel, although the 4000 is starting to get suited for larger fish.
10 Best Spinning Reels for Bass Fishing
If you are a professional fisherman or love to fish frequently, you will easily realize the importance of great spinning reel for bass fishing. Every year several manufacturers come with different features and benefit. Due to the various range of production, you may not decide what is best for you. Here are our recommended top 5 Spinning Reels for Bass Fishing. So let’s get into the selective product reviews of our top spinning reel on the market.
- 9 stainless steel ball bearings + 1 roller bearing
- X2-cräftic alloy frame & side plate
- Power stack carbon matrix drag System
It comes in several sizes and models. The smallest options are 10 and 20. Another small option is REVO2 SX30 which is a bit heavier. And the medium size reel is 40 which are great for barramundi and large flathead. SX10 and SX20 are designed for finesse anglers.
On the other hand, SX30 and SX40 are perfect for big fish. Though both 30 and 40 comes with a common specification, it will perform well for fresh, salt or inshore water. This reel is an absolute joy to use. The COG technology has eight stainless steel bearing and AMGearing which is pure comfort, especially under the heavy load of a significantly large fish.
The design of dominant black is elegant. A touch of grey and red trims gives a super sports appeal. More than anything, it comes with a notable reduction in weight compared to its previous model. The combination of one piece aluminum gear and carbon body makes it pretty lightweight.
- Very lightweight
- Everlast™ Bail System Ensures Rigidity
- Very Smooth Drag
- Interruption-Free Cranking Handle
- Can air knot easily
- IPX5 sealed body and spool design
- Cnc gear technology
- Keeps expensive rods off the ground to prevent damage
After testing more than a dozen reels for use on bass fishing, we decided that Penn spinfisher VI spinning fishing reel is another great option for most anglers.
The PENN Spinfisher VI features IPX5 sealing so that if it gets hit with a wave, or let it ride in the spray on the way home, you don’t have to panic about saltwater getting into the drag system or gearbox.
A Full Metal Body keeps the CNC Gear System in the right alignment under heavy loads. Durable construction with side plate and rotor and aluminum bail wire makes it unique from the rest. It is available in live liner, standard, long cast, and bail-less models.
The HT-100 drag washers are placed in a fully sealed spool to provide the stopping power needed for giant saltwater fish.
- Silky-Smooth Drag
- Instant Anti-Reverse Bearing
- Watertight Spinning Reel
- Sealed Slammer Drag System
- Live line feature can fail
3. Yoshikawa Baitfeeder Spinning Reel
- Baitfeeder Drag System delivers a fully free-spool mode with just flipping the small lever on back of the reel, allows free-running line without opening the bail that assists you in fighting big fish...
- CORROSION-RESISTANCE MATERIAL CONSTRUCTION: TITAN graphite construction graphite sideplate, strong anodized CNC Aluminum Spool deliver extra high capacity for longer casting distance, Stainless Steel...
- ALL UNDER YOUR CONTROL. Clear spool clicking. 10+1 HIGH POWER CORROION-FREE ball bearings; Smooth Multi-disk drag system with superior oiled felt drag washers. 5.5:1 gear ratio assure a secure, fast...
Yoshikawa has a winning design with the Baitfeeder Spinning Reel which is far better than their other reels. This model comes with the different version from 3000 to 6000; other versions are 4500 and 5000. They all have a gear ratio of 5.5:1.
CY3000 | Weight: 11.9 oz | Max Drag 18LB | Line Cap.: 8/200, 10/160, 12/120(Lbs/Yds)
CY4000 | Weigh: 15.0 oz | Max Drag 28LB | Line Cap. : 8/220,10/165,12/130(Lbs/Yds)
CY5000 | Weight: 16.5 oz | Max Drag 28LB | Line Cap. 10/275, 12/220, 15/160(Lbs/Yds)
CY6000 | Weigh: 18.6 oz | Max Drag 28LB | Line Cap.: 16/220, 20/170, 24/140(Lbs/Yds)
The best feature of this spinning reel is the baitfeeder lever which controls up or on. The cranking handle is used to flicks back or off. The excellent rear drag works well when the fish is tough to handle. It also comes with protecting gears and free spool.
Being the blending of corrosion resistant and TITAN graphite makes it sturdy. The anti-backlash system is surely an added advantage. 10+1 ball bearings give high power. Upgraded material like superb line lay, internal bail trip, oiled felt washers are used in this spinning reel.
- It Works Great In Tough Weather And Saltwater
- Super Smooth Appearance
- It Looks Very Attractive
- Drag can have some issues
4. Shimano Spirex FG Spinning Reel
- Varispeed oscillation
- Lightweight graphite frame, sideplate & rotor
- Cold forged aluminum spool
Need reels for bass fishing that are inexpensive as well as durable? Well, consider the Shimano Spirex FG Spinning Reel. Shimano is a trustworthy manufacturer who produces high quality fishing instruments.
Honestly speaking, this reel is great for walleye anglers and smallmouth, who are need a reliable drag. It comes with three different models – 200 yard, 140 yards, and medium light.
Each of them contains five ball bearing and maximum drag of 7 pounds. The noticeable feature is they all have 6.2:1 gear ratio and 2/270, 4/140, 6/110. Line capacity.
Shimano Spirex FG Spinning Reel is fully enclosed by graphite frame, rotor, side-plate and suitable handle shank. On the other hand, Fluidrive® gearing gives more control as well as allow a high tolerance. Another noteworthy feature is its cord-forged aluminum pool along with six stainless steel ball bearings.
Thanks to its auto-position casting trigger, it gives a flexible movement of handles. An extra feature of the Propulsion Line Management System makes a big difference from rest. The easy removal spool needs just a push on the top button.
This reel is the heavy-duty weapon and reliable performer at an affordable price.
- Smooth Retrieve Every Single Time Without Any Wobbling At All
- It’s Reliable And Sturdy So That You May Handle Big Fish
- The Casting Is Pretty Damn Quick
- No anti-reverse feature
- Black Anodized Machined Aluminum Housing ("Hard Bodyz" Body & Side Cover), Over-sized Digigear (Digigear System)
- Solid Screw-In Handle, Air Rotor, Dynamic Cut Aluminum ABS Spool
- Braided Line Ready Spool, Waterproof Drag System, Carbon ATD, Line Per Handle Turn: 47.4"
The Daiwa BG saltwater spinning reel is the best fishing reel for anglers or enthusiasts who prefer a classic “Hard Bodyz” body and increased strength.
The Daiwa BG high-quality components, industry-leading ingenuity, make this one lean, fish-fighting machine. Equipped with a “Hard Bodyz” machined body, it’s aluminum frame along with side cover gives internal part stability.
Why we love it?
To increase the strength of corrosion and scratch resistance, This Daiwa Bg has a Black Anodized body and cover. The ABS spool works to maximize the core diameter. Plus the reversed taper lets no dead line buried in the core for longer and easier casting.
It’s also braid-ready. The aluminum screw-in-handle design offers zero movements between the handle arm and main gear, offering the angler both control and confidence when rotating the handle.
The Air Rotor is 15% less in weight than ordinary rotors, as its unique shape cuts out the extra fat while distributing stress evenly for added strength in a lightweight design.
- The Carbon Automatic Tournament Drag
- Increased Torque
- Internal Part Stability
- Scratch Resistance
- HaganeBody - The HAGANE Body is a metal reel body with high rigidity. The body stiffness and impact resistance virtually eliminates body flexing. The result transforms the angler's actions directly...
- X-Ship - provides improved gear durability. By supporting the pinion gear on both ends with bearings, the pinion gear maintains precise alignment with the drive gear. This means the gears will stay in...
- SA-RB - These bearings have been through the same process as our A-RB bearings, but feature shields on both sides of the bearings that reduce the possibility of salt or sand inhibiting the bearing's...
Another addition by many anglers favorite reel manufacturer – and certainly my own favorite – is the Shimano Stradic. Although recently replaced by the Shimano Vanford, the Stradic is extremely popular.
If you wander down to your local bass hot spot, then you will definitely see a few Stradic spinning reels among the local bass anglers.
A great combination of style, durability, and performance – you won’t go wrong with any Shimano reels due to their X Ship and X Protect gearing design, bearing system, and corrosion resistant coatings.
- Durable, high range spinning reel ideal for conquering big saltwater game fish
- Full metal body, side plate, and rotor and heavy duty aluminum bail wire offer exceptional durability
- 4+1 stainless steel bearing system
Last on our list, but certainly not the least is the Penn Battle II reel. Specially designed by the reputable manufacturer, this reel is worth your consideration.
The full metal body construction including side plates allows it to maintain precision gearing with a smooth retrieve, even under heavy load. It has an instant anti-reversing bearing, aluminum bail wire, and carbon fiber drag washers.
I also like the line management system that reduces the frequency of birds nesting knots on your spool.
- 10 bearing system: Corrosion resistant stainless steel ball bearings
- Graphite body and rotor: Lightweight graphite reel construction. Braid ready spool - Allows Braid to be tied directly to spool
- HT 100 carbon fiber drag system provides powerful drag without sacrificing smoothness
The Pflueger President Spinning Reel is a high quality fishing reel popular with bass anglers, particularly due to its 10-bearing system which gives smooth performance in casting and retrieval.
It has a graphite body which is strong but keeps the weight down, and has a 5.2:1 gear ratio which is spot on for bass. The drag is stainless steel and the bail arm is aluminum for corrosion resistance.
Available in both left and right hand retrieve designs, the weight is between 6.2 – 11.5 ounces depending on the size.
- 10 Bearing System - Corrosion resistant stainless steel ball bearings
- Magnesium Body and Rotor - Feather light design
- Braid Ready Spool - Allows braid to be tied directly to spool
Another high quality reel from Pflueger is the Supreme. It comes with a magnesium rotor and body and a bearing system with 9 bearing count. The spool is designed to be braid ready so you don’t need to back your line with mono which allows it to hold a higher braid fishing line capacity.
Along with the President it was a 5.2:1 gear ratio in the 2500 model, but the larger reels have a 6.2:1. The 4000 size reel has a 38″ retrieval rate per crank and 200 yards of 20 lb braid capacity with a 14lb max drag – it can handle anything a trophy bass can throw at it.
10. Shimano Sahara
- Featuring Fightin' Lever II; the Sahara will allow anglers to make incredibly easy adjustments to the drag setting while fighting fish
- Sahara R Spinning Reels feature a cold forged spool making these reels super durable
- Its rear-adjustable drag knob is located at the back of the reel; so you don't have to interfere with the line to make a quick adjustment
The last bass fishing spinning reel on the list is another Shimano – the Shimano Sahara. It has a G-Free body design which is supposed to move the center of gravity closer to the angler. This will reduce fatigue and improve comfort during long days of casting.
It is made from Shimano’s specialist HAGANE body and gearing system and the X-Ship feature (Extra, Smooth and High Power).
The 2500 sized model has a 5.0:1 gear ratio, which is just lower than perfect but can hold 140m of 8kg monofilament fishing line.
Anything made by Shimano is a worthy product.
Hopefully, the 10 Best Spinning Reels for Bass Fishing will be helpful for you for your next buy. To wrap up this article, we could say each of the spinning reels has entered our list due for their top quality. But we highly recommended Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel for your next bass fishing.
We hope you enjoyed our article.
Last update on 2021-04-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API