10 Best Spinning Rods for Bass Fishing Reviews [Including Buying Guide]
Every year, thousands of dollars spent by individual anglers to upgrade their gear for bass fishing in the United States. In many different states of the US, black bass species like small and largemouth bass are the favorite option to fish. That is why keen anglers need to get the best spinning rods for bass fishing. With a proper rod, lures, tackle, and tools chances are you will be able to catch larger and larger bass.
Many companies are producing different sizes, powers, and features of fishing rods for the various skills of fisherman. The price varies a lot in baitcasting and spinning rods – but you can pick the perfect one once you understand what makes a fishing rod suitable for catching bass.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Choose a Perfect Fishing Rod for Bass Fishing?
- 2 10 Best Spinning Rods for Bass Fishing
- 2.1 1. OKUMA Celilo Graphite Ultra-Light Rod for Bass Fishing
- 2.2 2. Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod for Bass Fishing
- 2.3 3. UglyStik GX2 Spinning Rod for Bass Fishing
- 2.4 4. Cadence CR5 Spinning Rod for Bass Fishing
- 2.5 5. Fenwicks Eagle Spinning Rod for Bass Fishing
- 2.6 6. SHIMANO Solora 2 Piece Spinning Rods for Bass Fishing
- 2.7 7. St Croix Premier Spinning Rods for Bass Fishing
- 2.8 8. G. Loomis GLX 782S SJR Spin Jig Spinning Rod for Bass Fishing
- 2.9 9. Daiwa Tatula Fishing Rod for Bass
- 2.10 10. St Croix Triumph Travel Spinning Rods for Bass Fishing
- 3 Final Words
Quick Summary – Best Spinning Rods for Bass
- Best Overall: Okuma Celilo Graphite Rod
- Best Heavy Duty: Ugly Stik Elite Rod
- Best Value for Money: Fenwick Eagle Rod
- Best Travel Rod: St Croix Triump Travel Rod
- Best Premium: St Croix Premier Rod
How to Choose a Perfect Fishing Rod for Bass Fishing?
Fishing rods contain a lot of features that help you make a successful fishing trip. That is why you need the best spinning rods for bass fishing. So, what makes a rod the best for catching some winning bass? Let’s find out.
The action of a rod means how much it can blend or flex from the top when pressure applied. Fishing rods can be designed to be slow to extra fast. For fishing like trout or bass, you need a fast or extra fast action depending on the model and features.
Fast rods bend up to 25% of the rod length. The action determines a few things like how much power is applied to set the hook into the fish’s jaw and the rod sensitivity.
For catching fish like bass, you need a responsive rod. Otherwise, you don’t pull the fish up when deep under the water from the boat. So, choosing the proper action with a well-set hook and reel set is essential.
Without any doubt, the bass fishing rod has to be sensitive. This species of fish are notorious for spitting out lures which they hate. So, you need a rod that is sensitive enough to alert you when the bass bites the lure. Before the fish know you need to pull the line and take it out from the water.
Image Source: fix.com
The rod power determines how much force a rod can take. Many people suggest having an ultra-light powered rod for best performance. But some medium-heavy rods are also suitable depend on the rod stiffness.
However, rod power is also related to rod’s flexibility. For example, a heavy bass rod is not the same as a heavy saltwater rod. Select the red depending on your intended use before determining the power. If you are not informed about the intended purpose, then use the line weight as a guide.
And remember – always use the line weights which go well with your rod power. If the power and weight line mismatch then either the line or the rod could be broken.
Weight of the Line
Many anglers choose a heavy line thinking of performance and durability. Heavy lines are not always suitable for bass fishing. It depends on the power of your rod and the suggested line weights by the manufacturer. So, determine the correct line weight by asking the seller or any expert or recommended by the brand of your rod.
Spinning rods are suitable for the lighter line starting from 4-10 pounds. Some of the lines could be 10-14, but nothing more. You can easily catch any large bass on the 4-pound track, but 6-8 pounds are much helpful. In case you are feeling nervous with this weight range, go higher.
You will see many rods are available in one, two, three, and even four pieces. This parted rod is suitable for transport. For example, it can be hard to take a 7 ft rod on the trip. And there are higher chances that it could break during the transport. So, splitting the rod into pieces is much more convenient than to carry an entire rod. But the truth is the performance of a one-piece rod is far better than the parted one.
Weight of the Lure
Lure weights are a minor priority in here. If you have some preferred and successful option for a lure which goes with your new spinning rod for bass fishing, go for it. It’s better to research first what baits are popular as lures weight, type and goes well with a particular rod. Some bass rods are suitable for light lures like 1/8 oz while some are good up to 6/8 oz.
10 Best Spinning Rods for Bass Fishing
So we have tried and tested these 10 best spinning rods for bass fishing that are useful for all categories of anglers. Read on and learn more about bass fishing rods.
- Sensitive graphite composite blanks
- Aluminum oxide guide inserts
- Stainless steel Hooded reel seats
Lightweight and sturdy rods are trendy in a fishing game, but they are incredibly pricey also. That is why you can select Okuma Celilo Graphite fishing rod for bass fishing. This one is ultra-light and specially made of catching trout. If it can handles trout, then bass is nothing much to take care of.
This ultra-light rod weighs only 3.2 ounces. It’s made of premium-quality graphite. This is a sensitive kind of graphite which alerts every single thing touch or passes through the reel or rod. The grip of the rod is made of cork.
That is why you feel comfort and lightness equally while holding it. The reel seats are made of stainless steel, and these are hoods. The tip of the rod is extremely light, which makes it difficult sometimes to wear the string.
Overall, the rod is a smart option for any expert angles who like to have a much-balanced fishing rod for catching crappie, trout, bass, etc.
- Made of quality materials to ensure durability
- Secure and comfortable grip
- Very sensitive rod for fishing bass fish
- Reasonable pricing
- Portable and suitable for another kind of fishing
- The construction feels a bit lower quality
- The hook set is very light and uncomfortable to set in the wind
2. Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod for Bass Fishing
If you want a convenient fishing rod for bass which can handle bulky fighting fish efficiently then look no further. The UglyStik Elite Spinning Rod is a better rod with bright tip design. It offers extra strength exactly where you need it.
This fishing pole is made of graphite, which makes it light, sensitive, and also durable. Moreover, it has one piece of stainless steel guide. This guide makes the border and helps to control your strokes.
The rod also has a long cork handle to hold. This is a user-friendly handle which gives comfort and safety at the same time.
The Uglystik Elite has a lot of options to choose from. They have models from 4ft. 6 to 7 ft. 6 inches. Also, ultra-light, light, medium, medium-heavy, heavy, etc. power options are available currently.
Typically this spinning rod is usable with casting lures like live or plastic baits. All you need is to pair it with a spinning reel that is easy to operate and suits your fishing technique.
- Useful for catching bulky fish like 40+ pounds
- Lightweight easy to carry and control
- Durable rod
- The handle is made from cork and offers a secure grip
- The tip is not suitable for braided line
3. UglyStik GX2 Spinning Rod for Bass Fishing
- Strong, yet balanced graphite and fiberglass construction
- Durable ugly tuff one piece stainless steel guides
- Pre-spooled with 6 pound line
The Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod is a very lightweight rod for fishing. It’s even lighter than the first one we reviewed earlier. The rod weighs 0.8 oz. And very convenient to use. The design of the rod is the right combination of the traditional Ugly Stik rods and some modern features. Like it has a precise tip eye as like other original rods and cork handle. But also it has a graphite and fiberglass construction which makes it more appropriate as an advance rod.
The rod has huge variations to choose from 4.6 to 7.6 models. Also, these rods Includes powers from ultra-light to dense settings. We tested the two pieces 6 ft massive medium rod for catching some bass. And got one 15 pounds more than alive fighter bass, maybe that calls luck! Even some of its users have got chances to catches more than 40 pounds of fish with the rod.
- Well balanced rod gives you much power handling fighting fish
- Offers light EVA grips
- Two-piece durable construction
- Comes with seven year warranty
- Has a lot of variation to choose for length and power
- Again, not suitable for braid reels
4. Cadence CR5 Spinning Rod for Bass Fishing
- What You Get From Cadence: Cadence fishing poles offer high-performance premium features at an unbeatable value. Fishing with quality, dependable gear should not mean breaking the bank. Cadence has a...
- Ultra-High Quality 30-TON Carbon Fiber Blank: All CR5 1-piece and 2-piece fishing rods are constructed with 30-ton carbon matrix graphite blank offers strongest ,lightweight, durability and...
- Premium Materials: Cadence CR5 spinning rods are made from materials that bring strength and sensitivity without weight. Made of 30 ton carbon, SiC guides with durable stainless steel frames, a...
Buy the Cadence CR5 spinning rod with confidence, because this one is made with high-quality materials and has got the best craftsmanship. The rod is made with 30-ton graphite blanks. So you can be assured of your longevity and power.
The rod has got stainless steel guides with Sic inserts. All these together make the rod smooth and avoid line stacking in the manuals. That also minimizes frictions and increases sensitivity. Also, the rod includes Fuji Reel seat and premium grade cork handles. These provide many firms and ease handhold you need to overcome the hard-fighting fish.
It’s quite strong and sensitive. The weight is 2.2 pounds so, if you want more ultra-light rods, then you might get disappointed. But overall, it’s a great rod to increase your skill on bass fishing.
- Made of high-quality materials, really durable
- Comfortable grip handle
- Have many options to choose from different power and length
- The matte black blank looks excellent too
- Very reasonable price
- Comes with warranty and money back policy
- It weighs 2.2 pounds, which might be because of discomfort for some people
5. Fenwicks Eagle Spinning Rod for Bass Fishing
So here is another primary type of spinning rod for general bass fishing. You have different options to choose from the model like 5 ft. 6 inches to 8 ft. long fishing rods. Also, this rod includes light, medium heavy to ultra-light, and the ultra-substantial option to choose.
That means all skills of anglers could found the best spinning rod for bass in this more. However, the rod is made of graphite and has a long cork handle. The handle is pretty simple, very durable. It’s the B2 Burled cork design and gives the feel of traditional cork.
Additionally, it has got a light stainless steel guide and inserts. The trip eyes are suitable for braided lines. You can pair with it any good quality reel that you like.
Like the Cadence CR5 Spinning Rod, the Fenwicks Eagle spinning rods are an amazing option for bass fishing considering the price point. So, you could be a newbie or an expert; your collection will be incomplete without this spinning rod.
- Sensitive enough to keep you alert
- Chip-resistant handle
- Lightweight and corrosion-proof guides
- Has length and power options to choose
- Affordable price
- Need to be careful while handling massive fish
- The look does not seem very impressive
- The Solara series is designed to be the ideal tool for new anglers to learn the art
- Reinforced with durable Aeroglass blank construction that provides incredible sensitivity
- Featuring aluminum oxide guides for smooth line flow on every cast and retrieve
Shimano is one of the well-known brands for casting and spinning rod. And for bass fishing, the Solora 2 piece spinning rod is a much better option to consider. For bass fishing, you need a medium-heavy rod from 6 to max 7 ft. The rod is sensitive, reliable, and also, easy to use.
This best spinning rod for bass has made of hard-wearing Aero Glass structure rod blank. Also, it includes aluminum oxide guides. Its dense graphite locking reel seat ensures you set the real with vast safety and acuity. Also, the rod has got cork handle, which gives firm grip and comfort for long time fishing.
The fishing rod also comes with some other variations like ft. 6 medium, 6 ft. Medium and 7 ft. Medium. The most popular model is 6 ft. 6 inches medium power rod among most of the avid anglers. The flex amount of the rod is light action and usable with any lures.
It can catch fish, Small 1-5 lbs, Medium 5-15 and heavy 30+.
- Includes compact locking graphite reel-seat
- Rigid guides made of aluminum oxide
- Cork and rear grip handle
- Fast action medium power rod
- Cheap in price
- Need to take good care to keep it working and durable
- Feels a little stiff
7. St Croix Premier Spinning Rods for Bass Fishing
If you have a small to high budget and want a well manage fishing rod for bass fishing, and then you can choose this one. The St Croix Premier Spinning Rod is light, stiff and flexible option to catch large size fish. This one has 4 ft. 6 inches to 7 ft. Long fishing rods with different power variation. So if you want you can have some small length or lower power rods for general fishing. But for catching bass, trout, catfish, etc.
This fishing rod is made of premium quality SCII graphite blanks and other quality components. Also, it’s aluminum oxide guides with double-plated black chrome frame. All the offers rugged performance and keep the rod well balanced and equally lightweight.
Furthermore, for a comfortable base for your reel, you get Fuji TCS reel seats included with the rod. Also, the premium grade full cork handle make sure better grip and more sighting leverage. The description says it’s designed and handicraft in Park falls in the USA and double coated with slow cure finish.
- Reliable, power, and sensitive
- Offers outstanding hook setting power
- Well crafted rod that will last a long time
- Suitable for different lure weights
- Multiple length and power options to pick from
- More expensive option
8. G. Loomis GLX 782S SJR Spin Jig Spinning Rod for Bass Fishing
Loomis, which is a partner brand of fishing giant Shimano, has a lot of great option for a different kind of fishing. They have a collection of both spinning and casting rods, and all are these good at their specific job. But the spinning model is more versatile for bass fishing.
However, the G. Loomis GLX 782S SJR Spin Jig Spinning Rod is made of graphite blend. This rod is 20% lighter than other previous GLX rods and also stronger overall.
The rod has got a slim down handle with ergonomic design. It’s a medium powered sensitive rod which can easily detect even the lightest bite. The cork handle has been slimmed down and tapered for perfect handle placement for better casting control. The G. Loomis GLX 782S SJR offers more balance and accuracy along with smooth pulling.
The spinning rod is suitable for all skill of anglers and works well depending on your qualifications. We would suggest you go for an 8-15 range of line weight for 6ft 6 inches rod. And for another model, you can pair with the right line weight as per your choice.
- Medium to fast power rod
- Casts far and smooth
- Evenly applies power across the rod
- Durable, sturdy construction
- Expensive price range
- Graphite body must be treated with care
9. Daiwa Tatula Fishing Rod for Bass
- Daiwa's exclusive SVF (Super Volume Fiber) graphite technology
- Bias graphite fiber construction for flexibility, strength and virtually zero blank twist
- Micro pitch blank finish
All the Tatula fishing rods are made to impress its users. That is why we can’t get rid of the greed to testing the Daiwa Tatula Casting Rod even its small price. This one comes with 6-7.7 ft rod length variation and has different power option from medium to medium heavy/heavy. The rod includes “Mega-top” tip spliced to the end with two small caliber guides wrapped around it. All this together serve to make it incredibly sensitive, flexible, and fast.
The rod goes well with 2017 Daiwa tatula Sv Reel perfect combo. But you can try your old reel also to see how it works.
Also, you can set the hook on the rod easily. The tip swiftly gives way to the stiff and rigid backbone and helps you on excellent penetration every time. The rod is thick, versatile, and suitable for many years of use. Depending on the fishing type and your skill if you can succeed to choose the power, possible if you can get the expected performance from the product.
- Has the option for different sizes and power to choose from
- Alconite guides help you to control the action
- Sensitive enough
- Shiny wrapped finish poorly designed
10. St Croix Triumph Travel Spinning Rods for Bass Fishing
- Premium-quality SCII graphite.
- Outstanding strength, sensitivity and hook-setting power.
- Finely tuned actions and tapers for superior performance.
Last but not least. Our final pick is for Triumph Travel spinning rod, which is made for the savvy anglers. It offers four pieces of design and built to give you the best performance. The rod has aluminum oxide guides with black frame. Also, this best spinning rod for bass has got Fuji DPS reel seat with Frosted silver hood, high-quality cork handle, double coat cure finish, and so on. That is why it’s more sensitive, reliable, and offers best hook settings power.
You get five different options to choose the power and length of it. There are ultra-light, light/fast, medium/fast, medium-heavy/fast 4 pc and Medium-light/fast 4 Pc. For bass fishing, 6 ft. Medium or medium/heavy rods are better to select. The rod is made of premium quality SCII graphite along with hard aluminum-oxide guides and black frame. However, the rod offers five years of service warranty as well.
- Sensitive rod
- Fast performance
- Powerful enough to catch big bass
- Easy to work with and comfortable
- Feels smooth for those who prefer stiff rods
More than hauling bass and other fish, an ideal bass fishing rod effect on your cast, lures ability to detect bites and also the hook set. So, your total fishing performance mostly depends on the quality rod. Many experts suggest that try your luck on some cheap but quality full rods if you are a beginner. That’s how you get the chance more and more about knowing bass fishing, rods and gear, and better your skills. So, when you are investing a high-quality, expensive gear, you know better what to choose.
Our top editor’s choice for best spinning rods for bass fishing is Cadence CR5 Spinning Rod. This rod is an excellent option for any anglers who are looking for much convenient settings and features. Also, it’s suitable for use for years after years without much hassle.