Best 10 Fishing Jackets + Buying Guide to Stay Warm this Winter 
The weather can change abruptly when you are out fishing. Abrupt weather changes shouldn’t interfere with your favorite activity. All that you will need is the perfect fishing gear, including the ideal fishing jacket.
A good fishing jacket should protect you from the harsh weather elements. However, finding the best fishing jacket is not easy since there are several options out there. It would help if you considered some essentials before buying a fishing jacket.
Table of Contents
Fishing Jacket Buying Guide
The following is your complete fishing jacket buying guide.
Types of Fishing Jackets
Every angler knows that the type of fishing jacket they use will differ if it starts raining. There are various types of fishing jackets in the market. Here are the common types of fishing jackets:
This type of fishing jacket has low pockets and an emergency hood. The inside of the jackets is coated in polyurethane to keep moisture out.
A lightweight fishing jacket is an ideal option for you if you n a lightweight and practical option. It also allows for full mobility when you need to make a catch. Lightweight fishing jackets also have thermal insulation features and are tear-resistant.
Do you want to go swimming during winter or on a cold day? If the answer is yes, a quilted fishing jacket is an ideal choice for you. Quilted fishing jackets will keep you warm as you scramble for the biggest catch by keeping your warmth in.
Gilets and Bodywarmers
Gilets are the ideal choice for you if you need a fishing jacket that enhances mobility. It will improve your grip, especially when you have a difficult day in the sea.
Different fishing jackets come with different features. The following are some of the top features you should look for when purchasing a fishing jacket:
The hood of your fishing jacket will keep you warm and protect you from the rain. A good hood should fit your head perfectly without restricting your view. Stiffened hoods should be your go-to option if you need more protection.
Zips are vital features that most people overlook. Your fishing jacket will not protect you from the elements if it does not have a zip that runs smoothly. Zips can also be used to cool the body when it gets too hot.
Fishing jackets should accommodate a compatible bilayer that can be zipped inside to create a 3 in 1 jacket.
When it comes to the pockets, the rule of thumb is to purchase a fishing jacket with the number of pockets you need. Moreover, the pockets should have zips to keep the contents dry.
Drawcords are an essential part of a fishing jacket. The fishing jacket will fit you perfectly because of the drawcords. They are usually found on the back of the hood or the waist of the fishing jacket.
Adjustable cuffs help to keep your sleeves over your gloves to keep you warm.
- Look at the Coating
When choosing a fishing jacket, make sure that you choose one with a coating that repels water. This will help you to remain dry during your fishing trip. It will also keep you warm during the cold season.
- Think About Durability
The durability of the fishing jacket is another essential thing you must look at. You would not want to purchase a new fishing jacket every time you go on your fishing trip. Therefore, make sure to purchase a fishing jacket that will give you great service.
- Consider Material
Another essential thing you must look at when choosing a fishing jacket is the material. It would be best if you chose a fishing jacket that has breathable materials. Increased breathability allows moisture to escape the fishing jacket when it gets too hot.
- The Pockets are Important
It would be best to choose a fishing jacket with so many exterior and interior pockets. This will be efficient when you want to carry different fishing equipment when going for your fishing trip.
- Pick Your Preferred Color
There are different colors of the fishing jacket. Therefore, make sure that you choose the one that suits your preference. The color of your fishing jacket should blend seamlessly with the rest of your fishing outfits. However, you should avoid bright colors because they will make you more visible to the fish.
- Make a Budget
It is also essential that you choose a fishing jacket that can fit your budget. You must also make sure that you buy a fishing jacket that can offer value for your money.
- Look at the Gender
Gender is another essential thing you need to look at when choosing fishing. There are fishing jackets for females, males, and some are for both genders. You should, therefore, make sure that you choose the fishing jacket that will suit your gender.
- Size is Key
The size of the fishing jacket is another vital consideration you must make. You must look at your size for you to get a fishing jacket that will fit you best. Use a size chart to purchase the right fit for you.
- Think About the Hood
Another consideration that you should look at before you purchase a fishing jacket is the hood. If you prefer a fishing jacket with a hood, you will need to choose between a permanently attached hood and a detachable hood. A good hood should keep you dry in the rain.
Most Popular 10 Fishing Jackets [This Month]
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Columbia Men's Watertight II Jacket is crafted of a waterproof nylon shell durable enough to withstand anything from drizzle to downpour at a moment's notice.
- HANDY FEATURES: This rain jacket features an abrasion resistant chin guard, two zippered side pockets, elastic cuffs, and an elastic hem.
- COMFORT & WARMTH: Crafted of a waterproof 100% nylon shell, this rain jacket is lightweight while remaining protective. It also packs into your hand pocket.
- PROTECTED NO MATTER WHERE ADVENTURE TAKES YOU – Strong, durable, and designed for the seas and heavy rain for professional fishermen. Built with medium-weight polyurethane-coated fabric, this hooded...
- THE NEPTUNE COLLECTION – Inspired by Neptune, the Roman god of freshwater and the sea, the Neptune collection is waterproof, stain-resistant, and flexible so you can move with ease. From durable...
- ENGINEERED FOR PERFORMANCE - Commercial fishermen were front of mind when designing the Men’s Neptune commercial fishing jacket. Features PU-Coated Polyester material that is waterproof,...
- 420D nylon Oxford weave fabric
- 8k/3k waterproof breathable
- Fully taped seams
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: This men's waterproof rain jacket features our signature Omni-Tech fabric for ultimate protection and comfort. This included waterproof and wicking fabric that's breathable and...
- HANDY FEATURES: This men's waterproof rain jacket features a softshell exterior and a mesh lining for protection and breathability. It also features zippered pockets.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: This men's waterproof jacket features a stowaway hood and adjustable cuffs and hem.
- Huk: Uniting anglers through performance-engineered, technical gear designed to fuel your passion and pursuit no matter when, where or how you fish
- Huk Gunwale Rain Jacket: This fishing jacket has fully taped seams, storm flap, zippered hand pockets and adjustable hood so you're fully prepared to be dry and protected from the wind | Includes a...
- WATER PROOF & WATER REPELLENT: Durable Water Repellent coating on this jacket repels water and waterproof/breathable material works to fight moisture at 3 unique layers, keeping you dry and agile...
- Carhartt Company Gear Collection
- Water-repellent finish, midweight
- CHALLENGER WATERPROOF FISHING JACKET: Indecisive weather calls for an unfazed ally. With functional fishing features and an adjustable storm hood, the waterproof-breathable Simms Challenger Jacket...
- TORAY FABRIC TECHNOLOGY: This raincoat features Toray fabric technology. This technology was developed specifically for fishing jackets and waders. The QuadraLam fabric featured in the Challenger...
- WATERPROOF ANGLER JACKET: This angler jacket is completely waterproof. It features 100% taped seams, and YKK water-resistant zippers. The taped seams prevent water leakage when you’re fishing in the...
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Travel fishing vest are made from a lightweight fabric blend that’s designed to offer a minimal amount of waterproof protection, it’s the ideal vest for those drizzly and damp, early...
- BREATHABLE & DURABLE: Poplin style vest is thin; Linen style is ventilated betterly; Mesh style vest with plenty of breathable mesh incorporated into design. These jackets are well ventilated as well...
- MULTI-POCKETS: Fishing vest with 16 varying sized pockets, including secure zippered pockets and velcro fastening pockets, you can handily store all your personal possessions. Also ensuring that your...
- 【Waterproof & Windproof】 Superior water resistant shell fabric feature with Watertight Ⅳ. This softshell rain jacket for men performed well in windproof and waterproof, keep you all-day dry in...
- 【Breathable & Lightweight】100% Polyester fabric provides good breathability and is very light.This lightweight rain jacket can packs away into bag effortlessly. In favor of convenience, and...
- 【Adjustable Fit】①Attached tuck-away hood with adjustable drawstring is highly adjustable and adds extra guard and warmth. ②Adjustment drawcord hem and hook & loop cuffs seal out the cold wind...
- Please note these run large. Order one size smaller** OUTDOOR APPAREL: This packable jacket with the hood is perfect for any outdoor activities. Whether you’re headed out for a long day on the lake,...
- SMART DESIGN: Ultimate light weight material without any lining is perfect for layering during winter and wind and rain protection during the spring and summer without being too hot. The jacket is...
- GREAT FOR ANY OCCASION - A long sleeve hooded windbreaker is perfect for fishing, camping, hiking, casual running, hunting, work, gym, walking, outdoor activities, the beach, soccer, softball, sports...
Frequently Asked Questions
Why You Need a Fishing Jacket?
Brave anglers do not let the weather deter them from trying to get a good catch. However, you do not have to expose yourself to the elements. A fishing jacket is all that you need when you want to fish in the rain.
The fishing jacket will keep you warm and dry as you hunt for that big catch.
Moreover, purchasing a fishing jacket with a large number of pockets will provide you with additional storage for your fishing equipment and personal effects.
Buying a high quality fishing jacket will keep you dry and warm through years of fishing adventures. The best way to get value for money is buying quality – something that will last for decades.
If you are looking for more information then please have a look at this other fishing jacket guide.
Last update on 2021-05-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API