Top 7 Must Have Hard-Water Fishing Accessories For Ice Fishermen
Ice fishing is like a completely different space from other types of fishing, methods and tools. I know a lot of great anglers who only fish in winter, and I also know many people who only don’t fish in winter. This shows that these are two completely different types of sports.
So what should you prepare if you‘re new to ice fishing and want to have the experience that will hook you for life? Here are 10 essential ice fishing accessories that can directly correlate to your success:
Table of Contents
1. Ice Auger
An ice auger is a tool to break through the ice and fish. There are three types of ice augers available on the market — manual, gas and electric. Each has it’s own pro’s and con’s. Compared to a good quality gas or electric auger, a manual auger with a 6” diameter is an effective and affordable way to get started. However, it won’t benefit if the ice is thick or you like to drill many holes this could become a chore.
Eskimo Hand Auger with Dual Flat Blades
- CROSS-BOLT TAKEDOWN SYSTEM: Prevents over-tightening when you drill, Superior to screw-together hand augers
- HANDLE AND POMMEL KNOB FOR EASY DRILLING
- DUAL-FLAT BLADES
2. Ice Skimmer
After you finish drill a hole, a sizable portion of slush will fill up the channel. Then you’ll need a tool to keep your holes open and clean, and to keep your fishing line free to move. The handle of the ice scoop should be sturdy and long enough so you don’t need to make much effort to clean the hole. Some ice skimmer can also help you check the thickness of the ice or measure fish with a tape measure on its handle.
Lakco 700 Slush Skimmer 12”
- Package length: 37.338 cm
- Package width: 1.016 cm
- Package height: 3.302 cm
3. Heat Packs
I personally don’t like being cold. So if you are just like me, remember to get some heat packs. I used to use those inexpensive, single use, and air-activated heat packs, and they do work. But since they can only be used once, you may need to spend lots money on them. Actually there is another type of heat packs, and that is rechargeable, battery-operated hand warmers. Ice fishing can be fun, and it can be a lot more fun when your hands and feet are warm.
Jomst Rechargeable Hand Warmers
4. Using a fish finder
Using a fish finder can be very rewarding. You’ll learn the lay of the land beneath the surface and begin to understand when and where fish school up. You can of course fish without a fish finder, but it makes your fishing trip so much easier.
5. Winter Warm Fishing Gloves
Hands play an important role in ice fishing. A pair of winter fishing gloves will keep your hands dry and warm and allow you to finish all outdoor tasks well while remaining impervious to the wind. At the same time, wearing the most suitable fishing gloves is essential. They can also offer some protection from sharp dorsal spines or gill plates. Some gloves features lots of angling-friendly designs, which will make fishing more efficient. Such as a microfiber thumb will help you better tighten the knot without hurting your finger.
RAGUEL Fishing Gloves for Winter
- 【Touchscreen Fishing Gloves】：A special material (copper fiber) is attached to the fingertip of the index finger, allow to work with all touchscreen type devices. Quick release loops are also set...
- 【3 Cut Fingers Design】：These winter fishing golves with 6 pairs hook 'n' loop on the thumb, index finger and middle finger, easily converts from full-finger gloves to 3-cut finger gloves,...
- 【Warm Plush Lining】：RUNCL's warm winter fishing gloves are designed with plush lining inside to provide long-lasting warmth and protect your hands in cold outdoor activities. Plus the adjustable...
6. Long Reach Hook Remover Tool
A hook remover tool is just as important as fishing gloves when ice fishing, which will help you to catch and release the fish safety. This device is especially handy for retrieving small treble hooks on quick-strike rigs when they’re inside the mouth of a giant pike, lake trout or walleye. You can use a wide range of fish hook remover that you can find easily in online shops. A long-nosed tool is one of the most commonly seen hook removers.
- 【13.6" Aluminum Alloy Long Nose Fish Hook Remover】: Our this fishing hook remover equipped with longer nose than needle nose pliers, can reach deep into the fish mouth, never worry about injury....
- 【Squeeze Out Fish Hook Extractor】: The fishing hook extractor constructed with spring-loaded trigger handle, makes it more convenient to take off fishing hooks with only just one hand even in a...
- 【Stainless Steel Rounded Hook】: The removal hook is designed to be more rounded, less harm to fish mouth and fishing line. And there're two small groove on the tube opeing, help to fix the fish...
7. Polarized Sunglasses
Sunglasses are one of the most important and often overlooked tools for fishing, summer and winter. It reduces glare, which is high-intensity light reflected off a smooth surface, like ice or snow. Not all sunglasses are polarized and not all polarized glasses block the same amount of light, so check before you buy.
Ice fishing is fun, but you must think of your safety first. Don’t forget that the thickness of ice is not uniform across a body of water. There is also another risk of old larger holes that have been drilled for some reason, frozen over or covered by snow, making them hard to notice. Keep these in mind and pick up the tools listed above and enjoy your time being on the hard-water!
Last update on 2021-04-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API