Best 3 Kayak Trolling Motors of 2021
This article will highlight the best kayak trolling motors that are available on the market at the moment as well as a buying guide so that you can make an educated buying decision.
Have you ever been on a long kayak trip, sweat in your eyes, sore muscles, and realized that you are only halfway? Then I am sure you have had the thought – I wish I could put a motor on this!
Well you can – plenty of companies now make electric trolling motors specifically designed to be mounted onto a kayak.
Fishing kayaks are a great tool for any keen angler, no matter whether you are going bass fishing or trout fishing, particularly after you have strapped an electric motor onto the back. This can be done through a variety of options of motor mount.
This article is to give you an overview on all of the key attributes you should be considering before purchasing a kayak trolling motor. This is in the form of a buyer’s guide where we will cover everything you need to know.
We will also go through the top 5 kayak trolling motors available on the market along with their pros and cons.
So let’s jump in.
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick Summary – Best Kayak Trolling Motors
- 2 Kayak Trolling Motor Buyer’s Guide
- 3 Best 3 Kayak Trolling Motors
- 4 Conclusion
Quick Summary – Best Kayak Trolling Motors
- Best Overall: Minn Kota Endura Trolling Motor
- Best Value for Money: AQUOS Haswing Trolling Motor
- Best Shallow Water: Newport Vessels Kayak Series
Kayak Trolling Motor Buyer’s Guide
There are a few key things you need to know before selecting your trolling motor, and it all depends on your requirements and where you will be travelling.
Some of the attributes you will be covering include the Power, Size, Speed, Noise, and its Mounting Bracket.
The power of your trolling motor is important if you intend to have a heavily loaded kayak. This is particularly useful if you are doing multi day trips and will be fully loaded with camping gear, coolers, and food.
Keep in mind that the higher power will also draw more from your deep cycle marine battery. You will need to consider both of these when picking your options. You may even need to look at backup or secondary batteries if you select an extremely powerful motor and running it at full speeds for extended periods.
Power is measured in terms of pounds of thrust and we have split up the available range into low, medium, and high power:
- Low Power – 20 lbs of thrust
- Medium Power – 50 lbs of thrust
- High Power – 80 lbs of thrust
The top speed for a trolling motor is really not the point. You will only use it when travelling from one fishing spot to another.
The real important part of the speed is whether you can select the speed you actually want.
Some trolling motors have only two speeds while others have up to five. Depending on your lure selection you may need to be travelling in between these speed selections.
Take this into consideration when making your selection.
Quiet is king.
If you are fishing for skittish species then you will want to make sure you get the quietest model available. This will enable you to move from spot to spot quickly without scaring off anything in between.
The speed of the propeller and the quality of construction of the bearings and housing can contribute to excess noise.
The number of forward and reverse speeds also contributes to your ability to set the exact speed your require and so avoid going too fast and creating too much noise.
Remember, that the noise underwater goes further and is louder than noise in the air.
There are a number of different mounting brackets available, but most have a clamp arrangement. This option really depends on what mounting is available on your particular brand of kayak. You will have to select the right motor mount depending on whether you have a ocean kayak or a wider fishing kayak.
There are also accessories available that can help to mount your trolling motor onto virtually anything. Brands like Minn Kota have a wide range of accessories and brackets to get you through almost any mounting issues.
Kayak Trolling Motor Video
Just to give you a quick overview about how to install and use an electric trolling motor to a sit on top kayak, then have a look at this video below:
Best 3 Kayak Trolling Motors
1. AQUOS Haswing Bow Mount Trolling Motor
- AQUOS Haswing Cayman B (NOT GPS) 12V 55LBS 48inch Bow Mount Trolling Motor is designed and engineered to run quieter than ever before. With variable speed will let you dial in your desired speed and...
- The wireless remote control fits into the palm of your hand easily or can be attached around your neck with a lanyard. Conveniently control the motor on the boat or shore-side with the farthest 164 ft...
- Cruise control (NOT SPOT LOCK) keeps your boat at the desired speed by using wireless remote control to press on the speed up or down button then you can focus on fishing all the way, but you might...
The AQUOS Haswing trolling motor is a brilliant entry level option. It does not have the same features or quality of construction as the Minn Kota, but it will certainly get the job done.
The motor can be adjusted between 0 and 90 degrees. This means you can get it out of the water but you can’t use it in shallow waters.
It also has two forward and two reverse speeds. This can be problematic if you are trying to pick a specific speed for trolling with your lures.
- Good value for money
- Folding handle
- Only 2 forward speeds might not give enough control options
- Can only be adjusted between 0 and 90 degrees
- Only provides 20 lbs of thrust
2. Newport Vessels Kayak Series Trolling Motor
- KAYAK SHAFT: 24-inch fiberglass shaft allows for variable depth placement, while offering a lifetime of dependable performance.
- VARIABLE SPEED: 8 speeds (5 forward & 3 Reverse) with 6-inch telescoping handle puts you in total control of your ride.
- SALTWATER RATED: Durable all aluminum motor head w/ corrosion resistant magnesium, zinc, and stainless-steel hardware for saltwater use (Lead-Acid DC 12V).
A great middle level option is the Newport Vessels. It comes with a 2 year warranty to protect you from any damage in the future.
Although it is rated for saltwater the head is not waterproof and is not suitable for heavy rain.
It comes with extra long battery cables which gives you more flexibility for placement of your 12 volt battery.
The shaft angle is also adjustable so you can travel through shallow waters.
- 2 Year Manufacturers Warranty
- Made in USA
- LED Battery Indicator
- Not suitable for heavy rain
- Only gives 1.5 hours at full speed
3. Minn Kota Endura Transom Mount Trolling Motor
- 36" Shaft, 12v, 45 lbs Thrust
- Lever Lock Bracket: This solid 10-position bracket features a quick-release lever lock and reinforced composite material that resists flexing, warping, and UV damage
- Telescoping Tiller: Get easy, comfortable, intuitive operation of your trolling motor with the six-inch telescoping tiller
If there is one brand that it famous for high quality electric trolling motors it is Minn Kota. If you can afford the price tag, then you cannot go wrong with this product.
It also comes in various length shafts and power ratings, so make sure you pick the right options for your requirements.
The angle is also incredibly adjustable compared with the other options so you can still use it in shallow water.
- Minn Kota are renowned for high quality
- Extremely strong and well constructed materials
- Adjustable speed and power outputs
- More expensive than other options
- You need to select the correct size for your requirements
That brings us to the end of this look at fishing kayak trolling motors. I hope you have found it educational and have learnt something new. A trolling motor is a great additional to any anglers arsenal. It gives you more range, with a new quiet technology.
Our recommendation is the Minn Kota due to their highest quality of construction.
For any expensive piece of electronics like an electric motor we always recommend choosing a reputable manufacturer with a history of good customer service and a solid warranty.
To get the most out of your fishing kayak you will need the best equipment, including a spinning rod, tackle box, lures, and even a multitool, but a trolling motor is a luxury that will eliminate a lot of hard paddling.
If you have any words of wisdom or questions, then please leave a comment below.
Let’s go fishing!
Last update on 2021-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API