Best 10 Fishing Multi Tools [2021 Update]
A multi tool is a universal tool that combines many functions into one tool. There are several hundred multi-tools on the market, united by dozens of brands. But many multi-tools have featured that are not necessary for fishing.
Another idea to consider is whether you will use this outdoor tool only for fishing or whether you will use it for DIY or other activities - in which case you may want to consider a much expensive product like a heavy duty leatherman that has more versatility.
Also consider the material of construction - for saltwater fishermen you will certainly want to be selecting an easy to use and corrosion resistant stainless steel multi tool for fishing.
Let's see which of the functions of fishing multi tools are necessary for an angler, and which ones can be dispensed with fishing.
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick Summary - Best Fishing Multi Tools
- 2 Best 10 Fishing Multi Tools [This Month]
- 3 Conclusion
Quick Summary - Best Fishing Multi Tools
Knives are crucial for fishing, whether it is for cutting line or cutting bait. I would highly recommend having a dedicated fishing knife that is a larger size than in a multi tool. This allows it to be used for filleting fish as well that a multi tool knife cannot.
The knife in the multi tool is only 3-5 inches long and have a narrow blade because it is hidden in the handle. All multi tools come with a knife and are generally of a similar style.
It seems the same narrow little knife, but with serreytornoy sharpening. But I use this knife from time to time as it is perfect for cutting any ropes, tows, twine or thick "wattle".
It may come in handy when fishing. Very useful.
I use regularly - as in many times a day. With the narrow ends of the pliers, it’s quite convenient to insert tees into rings or equip jig baits. Especially useful for removing hooks from a fishes mouth if you haven't got any else nearby to use.
In addition, from time to time it is required to unscrew something, slightly grasping one handed with pliers. An extremely useful tool for an angler.
I will also include wire cutters within this category as the best multi tools for fishing build the wire cutter blades inside the base of the pliers.
You can select either a needle nose plier design or a more snub nose depending on your own personal needs.
Round pliers are in sets of some multi tools, but they are not particularly useful for fishing. A good set of pliers is particularly handing for opening hook rings, but round pliers are not as effective.
I wouldn't be desperately searching for a multi tool with round pliers for fishing purposes.
A file is very handy for sharpening your hooks. Some fish with a strong jaw require a very sharp hook. So having a file at your fingertips is very handy to give your hooks a quick sharpen, particularly if you notice they are getting bashed on rocks.
I would classify a file in fishing multi tools as very useful, but not essential.
However, this is an absolutely indispensable fishing tool. After all, every hook, every snag makes the points of our hooks, doubles and tees blunt. Sharpen, sharpen and sharpen again with a diamond file.
There are, of course, special hook sharpeners. But I personally do not like them. But the diamond file in my multi tool is one of the most popular tools.
A large file is not the most useless tool in a fishing multi tool. I remember that one fall, we repaired a four-stroke outboard Nissan 18 hp engine using a multi tool, an axe and a coil of wire. And the large file in the multi tool then helped us a lot.
Сomes in handy.
Have you ever seen a hook going through a fellow angler's ear?
It is not pleasant. And if it were not for the pliers in the fishing multi tools, then we would have had to go to the nearest hospital, which was 100 miles away from the fishing site.
And so, after the “operation”, we lubricated a broken ear with alcohol and continued fishing, catching that trophy pike for 10 kg in weight that evening.
I have a soft spot for this one. I would certainly recommend including this.
An awl is a stitching tool that you will find in some multi tool. A rather inconvenient tool in all multi tools. We tried to sew an awning with this awl as well as trying to sew a tent. It turned out pretty rough, but better than nothing.
Similar to the file - comes in handy but certainly not essential.
In good American multi tools there is a gorgeous two-row saw. I am delighted with mine. Once, when I was fishing, I sawed out a seat for my fishing box from a piece of laminated plywood. My original seat made from a foam box had broken very quickly. And the seat carved by a multi tool saw has been under me for almost ten years now.
So, this fishing tool is indispensable. Just hope that the saw is not a cheap Chinese multi tool as it will not be as good as a comparable American design.
Take a high-quality multi tool, and there should be a saw in it. Very useful.
I wouldn't ever consider a multi tool without a Phillips head screwdriver. I don't go anywhere without mine.
Same as a Phillips screwdriver. But it can still pry off the lid, enter a thin groove, push the turns of the winding ring.
The right tool. Essential for any good fishing multi tools.
Crucial, particularly for a multi-day fishing/camping trip.
If you drink beverages out of a can with a pull top then you can ignore this item, but it is certainly useful.
By the way, it opens cans well. And protects the blades of our fishing knives. Generally, I would prefer to be eating fresh fish on a camping trip, but not every trip is successful and a backup of canned dinner is wise.
Useful but not essential.
An absolutely indispensable item for winter or float fishing. This is because multi tool scissors cut a monofilament or braided line perfectly.
Although I usually use fishing line cutters during fly fishing, I always use multi tool scissors for float and winter fishing - they have special serrated blades and the mono-fishing gear does not slip on them.
Essential for any fishing multi tools selection. I particularly like spring action scissors which make the process a lot easier.
These are more suitable for a home renovator than for a fisherman. When fishing, sets of bits are constantly lost, clogged with all sorts of garbage and dirt. In addition, bit sets are quite heavy. And for those who wear a multi tool in a belt pouch, this is extra weight.
Not required for an angler.
The answer to this component was an immediate not required - then I began to think about all of the electrical problems I have had with my outboard motor and interlinking wiring over the years. But I hope that you are wiser than I am and make sure your boat's electrics are well maintained before you put it in the water.
Useless fishing multi tool component. There are no such nuts in the public domain when fishing. And if they are, they are usually hidden in wells, for example, on coils, and they cannot be approached with a wrench in the multi tool - a special key is required.
Not required for an angler.
If you are a wine drinker then go for it, if not then don't.
Pretty simple really.
I don't recommend a tiny flashlight as part of any good fishing multi tools. I have a headlamp with me on a fishing trip, a second spare headlamp, a large hand-held flashlight, and a flashlight also built into the fishing box. There are also lights in the boat and in my SUV.
So a small flashlight in multi tool is not particularly handy.
Best 10 Fishing Multi Tools [This Month]
- Corrosion Resistant:Booms Fishing pliers L1 made of anodization and polished stainless steel makes sure it can resistant rust and corrosion,this fishing gear can last a lifetime if you take care of...
- Thickening Multi Tools’ Jaws: As a multi function fishing gear, the pliers jaw using thicken steel material.With function include split ring /grip and cut lines/crimp lead and sleeves,which...
- Spring/Surge Tools Loaded Handle: L1 Fishing pliers with tools’ spring loaded that you can cut lines handily.There are also set many tools in the handle which you will use frequently in outdoor.Take...
- 10 Main functions to help your fishing in one great multitool - no need to dig for each tool in your tackle box.
- Includes all of these - Hook Remover, Scale Scraper, Tape Measure, Bait Cutter, Flashlight, Knife, Scissors, Weight Scale, Bottle Opener and Foldable Stand.
- Compact and easy to carry, lightweight stainless steel tools, easy to carry with you as you move around between fishing spots.
- The compact, dual ended tool has 6 essential line management functions
- The spinning hook vise securely clamps onto a hook or lure, spinning the line as you tie the knot
- An eyelet clearing spike cleans out debris and old line, making it much easier to thread new line
- Part of the Gentlemen's Hardware collection by Wild and wolf - Mix and match with the different tools, sports and outdoor, office, and men's beauty products in this brand
- Great gift for any angler or outdoorsman - stored in a classic brown gift box with pictures and instructions on usage
- Titanium coated steel tools with wood handles maximum strength and durability
- Aluminum alloy body, replaceable titanium plating jaw tips and carbide cutters, rust resistance even for saltwater
- Built-in opening/locking device, easy to handle locking and unlocking by one hand
- Pliers features spilt ring tip, built-in braid line cutter, building leader and crimping slots
- ✅ 13-in-1 Multi-tool: Needle Nose Pliers, Curved Jaw Pliers, Wire Cutter, Knife Blade, Saw Blade, Phillips Screwdriver, Slotted Screwdrivers, File, Leather Punch, Bottle Opener and Can Opener. Fits...
- ✅ Super Hardened Stainless Steel: 420 stainless steel and open-frame design make it ultra-tough, ensures long-term reliable performance
- ✅ All Locking Features: Every separate tool and knife on the body of the handle, with the exception of the pliers head, will lock into place. The locking design enables you to operate individual...
- Bigger Blade Knife. Larger blade over 3” gives you more of a cutting edge as well as a more secure and comfortable grip during heavy duty cutting. It has a lock function to keep the blade from...
- One Hand Operation. With a simple push, you can easily slide out the large blade knife in a second!! Each tool can be opened and used separately without opening the entire pliers.
- Superior Quality. POHAKU multifunctional multi-tool knives are made of high-quality stainless steel with sufficient hardness and toughness. The rust-proof and anti-corrosion high-quality steel help it...
- Sturdy stainless steel construction
- Compact, lightweight size fits perfectly in pocket - a daily companion for any task
- 10 tools: Needle nose spring-loaded pliers, Wire cutter, Fine edge blade, Retail package opener, Scissors, Medium flat driver, Crosshead driver, Bottle opener, Tweezers, File
- This rugged & heavy duty multifunctional tool, Made of aircraft grade aluminium for the main part. The small tool parts inside were made of Stainless steel. The whole item is very sturdy, high...
- As a 6 In 1 multifunctional tool, this is a fresh new integration that firstly combines a Lighter, Fishing tool, Whistle, Tungsten Glass breaker, Bottle opener, Blade, Saw and Lanyard all in one. Each...
- Definitely worth to add to your EDC kit. It’s never going to be useless and you will not regret for having one in hand, It combines the most needed tools, you will always find some of the functions...
- ✓【Upgraded Titanium-Plated Handle】For this new version 18 in 1 multitool, BIBURY decide to use plating titanium process on the handle, which makes the multifunctions pliers antioxidant,...
- ✓【420 Precision steel clamp】High-quality engineering guarantees years of reliable performance. It made from hardened stainless steel, heat-treated to make it ultra-tough. Comfortable, 3D...
- ✓【18 in 1 Multitool Pliers】With 18 functions including Needle Nose Plier, Tool, Saw, Pipe Grip Plier, Cable Cutter, Screwdriver, Bottle/Can Opener, Wrench, Scale, File, and more.
So, in summary.
A good multi tool should contain everything you need and nothing more. The composition of the fishing multi tools should include a knife, pliers, a diamond file, nippers, a saw, a Phillips and slotted screwdrivers, a can opener and scissors. These items are essential - Everything else is optional
You don't need a swiss army knife containing everything under the sun - just the aspects that are required for you. Another option is to buy different tools for specialist purposes and jobs - for example, I would prefer a dedicated fillet knife than to use the small knife on my leatherman wave - the same applies for fish scalers.
No matter which brand you select - a high quality, heavy duty fishing multi tool is a must have in any anglers tackle box.