Best 10 Topwater Bass Fishing Lures of 2021
Topwater bass fishing lures are one of the most enjoyable types of angling as they make the bite visual rather than underwater. Bass in particular love hunting for local bugs and insects and are evolved to hunt on the surface so giving them an attractive surface lure will guarantee strikes.
I also recommend topwater lures for kids as they can see the lure moving and the bass striking. This helps them to understand the concepts and improve their own skills more quickly. As well as having heaps of fun.
Besides the fact that topwater lures are just fun to fish with, they are also known for catching lunker bass. Whatever the reason for throwing a topwater lure, anglers have thousands of different designs, sizes, and colors to choose from.
Here we have the best of topwater bass fishing lures that can help you have an amazing fishing experience.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Use Topwater Fishing Lures for Bass?
- 2 How to Use a Topwater Bass Fishing Lure?
- 3 Best 10 Topwater Lures for Bass
- 3.1 1. 6th Sense Catwalk
- 3.2 2. Heddon Pop’n Image Topwater Popper
- 3.3 3. RUNCL Popper Walking Bait
- 3.4 4. OSP Yamato Topwater Walking Bait
- 3.5 5. River2Sea Whopper Plopper
- 3.6 6. Booyah Pad Crasher Frogs
- 3.7 7. Rebel Lures Bumble Bug
- 3.8 8. Arbogast Jitterbug
- 3.9 9. Teckel Sprinkler Topwater Frog
- 3.10 10. Smithwick Lures Devil’s Horse
- 4 Conclusion
Why Use Topwater Fishing Lures for Bass?
One of the favorite foods for a hungry bass is the local bug or insect population – they are always looking at the surface for food. So putting an attractive lure on the surface with a movement that mimics a bug will often attract the attention of a nearby bass.
Topwater fishing lures are also incredibly fun to work with – they provide a visual bite experience that will get your heart beaing and blood pumping.
Topwater lures are particularly enjoyable for kids as they can see exacly what is happening on the surface and can learn much faster.
How to Use a Topwater Bass Fishing Lure?
There are a few different ways to use a topwater lure depending on the design.
The first is a fast retrieve where the propeller or bib on the lure produces its design movement. This will create some splashing and attract bass from further away.
The second is a stop and go slow retrieve. This uses the initial pulling movement to attract the bass and then stops the retrieve to give the bass an opportunity to strike. You will need to practice to figure out the best timing for your particular lure.
Topwater lures can also be used where there is a thick sea grass or weed bed that a crankbait could not penetrate. Make sure you select a lure where the hook is protected from weeds if you intend of trying out this location.
Best 10 Topwater Lures for Bass
1. 6th Sense Catwalk
The 6th Sense Catwalk can be walked effortlessly to cover water at high speeds or methodically at a slow pace to entice fish hunkered down around cover.
The CatWalk comes fully equipped with a premium paint scheme, super sharp black nickel hooks, 3-D eyes, and realistic gill plate features.
This is a larger and heavier lure than some of the other options and can be cast further.
Length: 4 1/2″
Weight: 5/8 oz
- Silent (no rattles) - Great for finicky fish!
- Length: 2.25in (60mm)
- Weight: 3/8oz
2. Heddon Pop’n Image Topwater Popper
The Heddon Pop’n Image Topwater Popper delivers a deadly action and provides great versatility. Armed with two sticky sharp treble hooks, including a feathered treble, the Heddon Pop’n Image Topwater Popper is available in a wide range of color patterns that will match the hatch on any body of water.
Length: 2 1/4″ & 3 1/2″
Weight: 5/16 oz & 1/2 oz
- Spit'n Image perfectly mimics the frantic antics of a fleeing shad - in fact, it's the Spit'n Image of one
- When retrieved, the Spit'n Image moves from side to side
- At rest, the tail sits low in the water
3. RUNCL Popper Walking Bait
The key feature of the RUNCL popper walking bait is that it breaks the original bullet head shape of a walking bait into a popper design. Armed with the unique side cups on left and right, this makes the bait walk the dog by itself, which is great for anglers that are not experts when it comes to retrieving lures.
Another feature of the RUNCL walking bait is the glow color on its belly, which keeps you on a topwater bite under all water conditions. This bait is a must-have and needs to be in your bass fishing arsenal.
Weight: 5/8 oz & 7/8 oz
- Lifelike Design: Features elegant streamlined minnow profile, 3D lifelike 2-tone eyes, external etched unique gills, realistic scale, with reflective flashing finish and color-changing pattern, draw...
- Concave Nose: The popper baits are crafted with a wide concave nose, create a much deeper gurgling sound and a more aggressive popping action, perfectly mimic a struggling baitfish on the surface,...
- Side Cup: The unique side cups are added on left and right with front cup, helps to create wide splash and mass of air in water, attracts bass from wide range even in weed area
4. OSP Yamato Topwater Walking Bait
Featuring dual line eyes, the bait provides the versatility of two lures in one for a devastating bass catching combo.
The lower line eye enables the bait to produce the classic walk-the-dog action and with its concave nose it can also serve as an oversized popper for varying your retrieve.
Length: 4 3/5’’
Weight: 1 oz
- Axe size 24 inches
- Axe made of latex rubber foam, silver axe head with cross design
- black handle wrapped with black cord
5. River2Sea Whopper Plopper
The River2Sea Whopper Plopper delivers a sputtering topwater disruption that is begging to be eaten by a big bass.
Whether you crawl it super slow, so you can’t even hear the tail – just the tiny glass beads rattling inside its body – or you speed it up so it throws water with the same deep, hollow whopper-plopping-fish-catching sound as the original, the Whopper Plopper gets bit.
Length: 7 1/2’’
Weight: 2 3/4 oz
- River2Sea Wpl90/14 Whopper Plopper
- 90, Bone, 1/2 Oz., 3 1/2In, Two
- River2Sea (Bn) X Strong Treble #4, No Rattles, Top Water
6. Booyah Pad Crasher Frogs
The Booyah Pad Crasher’s soft plastic is just the right consistency to ensure solid, consistent hook-ups, while remaining weedless as it navigates over matted vegetation.
Its “bass boat” belly also allows it to easily walk-the-dog in open water, and it even features a drain hole to expel water and keep it running perfectly.
The frog is affordable and it works throughout most of the year regardless of changes in bass behavior or water temperature.
Weight: 1/4 oz
- PAD CRASHER TECHNIQUE: Hollow-body frog perfect for throwing in the slop and weeds
- BODY CONSTRUCTION: Body is structured enough to keep the bait 100% weedless to come over and across sloppy weedbeds, yet soft enough to ensure a solid hookset with a bass strikes
- TOPWATER LURE: Mocks the frog apperance for hungry topwater bass eaters
7. Rebel Lures Bumble Bug
One of America’s favorite lures are Rebel Lures products, including the Bumble Bug. Bass love eating bugs off the surface which is he exact bait that the Bumble Bug is trying to replicate.
Available in 5 different colors including Bumble Bee, Horse Fly, June Bug, Fire Bug, and Hornet – pick the color that replicates the insects that you can see flying around. The closer you can mimic the existing food source the better.
Length: 1 1/2″
Weight: 7/64 oz
- Ultralight lure that features a wide-wobbling action which attracts fish to the bait
- Every angler has watched a horsefly or other winged insect struggle on the surface and get eaten by a bass or panfish, and the Rebel Bumble Bug replicates this exciting moment with a floating...
- The Bumble Bug has the perfect disguise to attract topwater fish and is also fantastic for ponds, creeks and streams. With its fun design, it really gets kids hooked on fishing as well!
8. Arbogast Jitterbug
The Arbogast Jitterbug’s double cupped lip produces a loud, rhythmic, surface-busting sound which attracts hungry bass from far away.
It has 2 x treble hooks on a small lure so you will rarely have a fish hit your lure and miss the hook.
Available in over 16 colors I’m sure you will find a variation that you will be happy to add to your tackle collection.
Length: 2 1/2″
Weight: 3/8 oz
- TOPWATER LURE: Jitterbug is proven its power to ignite explosive strikes on topwater fish
- DOUBLE-CUPPED LIP: Placed at precisely the correct angle it produces a lout, rhythmic, surface-busting sound proven to be irresistible to every known surface feeding fish - especially bass
- LEGENDARY TOP WATER LURE: Arbogast Jitterbug is a legendary top water lure with a sound millions of anglers can immediately recognize
9. Teckel Sprinkler Topwater Frog
The Teckel Sprinkler Topwater Frog is another great lure to try out. Its size and weight mean that you can cast it further than the lighter lures and it gives a great ‘plop’ sound to attract the bass when it lands.
The tail propeller also gives a lot of motion and splashing that attract fish from further away.
The hook is also placed upwards against the lure body which helps to stop it getting stuck in weed or grass beds which is where the bass often hide.
Length: 4 1/2″
Weight: 5/8 oz
- Teckel Sprinker Frog
10. Smithwick Lures Devil’s Horse
This wooden surface lure has both a forward and rear propellor to duplicate the commotion of fleeing shad.
Available in 4 x different sizes, and 9 x different colors, you can find a lure to suit all your needs. Pop a few Devil’s Horse lures in your tackle box so you can adjust depending on which color is performing.
Use this lure in a stop/go motion to attract the fish and give them time to strike. With 3 x treble hooks there is plenty of opportunity to hook whenever a hungry bass comes hunting.
Length: 4 1/2″
Weight: 3/8 oz
- Classic prop-equipped handcrafted wood lure
- Unique buoyancy of wood lure to attract many fish
- Surface-churning propeller duplicate the commotion of fleeing shad
Topwater fishing provides anglers a top-notch fishing adventure – it’s fun because the strike is visual. Pick up one or a few topwater bass fishing lures listed above and you will enjoy your time on the water.
If you have your own favorite topwater fishing lures for bass then please leave a comment below so we can all learn from your experience. We love to hear from our readers and are always looking for new lures to try.
Last update on 2021-04-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API